The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 21, 2005, 01:56pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Question

Are any of you doing AAU ball? I had 6 games this pass weekend and didnt really have any major problems.
Old Mon Mar 21, 2005, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to drothamel
We have a big AAU tournament coming up here at UVA sometime next month, I think. The play is really good, but the tournament direction leaves something to be desired. They don't like us to whack coaches or players, which has lead to some issues in the past. My experience with AAU is usually positive, but every game can be an adventure.
Old Mon Mar 21, 2005, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

I do some AAU but those games usually come thru one of our HS assignors. I know there is alot more tourneys going on then I work. We don't have much trouble with those coaches and they usually get in line pretty quickly with a stop sign or T if needed. How do you guys get hooked up with them?
Old Mon Mar 21, 2005, 02:10pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
I do a lot of networking in my area and I know other boards that handle AAU, so I tell the assigners to keep me on the list!
Old Mon Mar 21, 2005, 02:44pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool

Around here, AAU stands for "Awful Awful Ugly".
Old Mon Mar 21, 2005, 02:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Around here, AAU stands for "Awful Awful Ugly".
My first laugh on a Monday morning.... Tnx.
Old Mon Mar 21, 2005, 02:49pm
Do not give a damn!!

I work some AAU ball from time to time. I do not go out and seek it, but I will work it if I am asked and have time. It is much better than working some men's games if you ask me. Usually there is a coach and more structure involved. It could be a lot better, but I can tolerate it.

Peace
Old Mon Mar 21, 2005, 03:22pm
Official Forum Member

For the first time in about 6 years I worked some AAU games a few weeks ago. I worked some when I first started officiating and now that I have more experience I've got a new perspective on it....

Worked a pair of games up in the Couv (Vancouver, WA). Good partner I've worked with before, both in HS and rec ball. Both teams were fairly well coached, but man both of these coaches were SCREAMING at their kids. A kid (6th grader), missed a pass on a press and this led to a turnover. Coach yells at the kid "YOU SIT DOWN NOW..WHEN I TELL YOU TO MAKE THAT PASS YOU BETTER AS HELL MAKE IT!!" My partner then tells the coach to watch his tone with the kids..coach turns to him and says "I'LL TALK TO MY SON WHATEVER G-- D--- WAY I FEEL LIKE IT!!" Partner whacked him. He couldn't believe it, he was dumbfounded. At a timeout, he and game management wonder why he received the T. We explained the rules about cursing and abuse from coaches to players (using NFHS rules). He still didn't like it, but he didn't yell at his players anymore..

(I wouldn't have issued the T for the coach - player "conversation." But it was within the rules and I backed my partner when it came time to)

Both games I worked were close/good ones. The second game a team with 20 players lost to team with 5. Coach for team 20 pulled his players after every single mistake, missed layup etc...

However, both games I worked the coaches/fans were even more inept about the rules of the game then even a HS freshman coach... When they didn't like the call and they turned on me, however they just got the "look" from me

Definately an interesting change of pace from HS ball. I'd still rather do AAU ball then adult rec league ball...

I'm just glad when my son is of age that we aren't going to put his whole stock in a travelling AAU team. I don't think I could ever sit in the stands and let my son be treated the ways these coaches treated these kids. There are more important things when it comes to playing basketball, like having fun and enjoying yourself.....
Old Mon Mar 21, 2005, 04:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MegatronOSU
I'm just glad when my son is of age that we aren't going to put his whole stock in a travelling AAU team. I don't think I could ever sit in the stands and let my son be treated the ways these coaches treated these kids. There are more important things when it comes to playing basketball, like having fun and enjoying yourself.....
This should be printed on the cover of every program in every tournament. There are parents and coaches whom might have a wake up call after reading it.

Case in point. 5th grade girls are playing and I have a crying, and I mean CRYING girl running the floor in the 4th. I tell the coach to check her after we do a few trips up and back because I think she may be hurt. Coach informs me "She's alright!" as if to tell me to mind my own business. Fine.

My partner goes to adminster a throw-in where this girls is defending the inbounds pass and she's still crying. He puts his arm around her to she if she's okay and she just nods and looks over at the coach. We continue play and the game ends. Of course this team got rolled up and lost.

After the game the coach is absolutely ripping this girl in the hall out near the concessions where everyone can hear. It's the traditional "you don't want it bad enough!!!", "you're being lazy!!!", "you're letting you're team down!!!", and the best of all "do you want to play or not!!?!?!?" tantrums. The girl is still crying and we're talking solid crying for over 15 minutes now.

Then after the coach is done, mom and dad get their turn and take their shots at her repeating almost everything the coach said verbatim. Then they haul her out to the car and God knows what happened out there. It was to the point I felt like intervening as it was certainly beginning to border on emotional child abuse.

Next day, same thing. Girl is crying during the last period... I just stayed out of the hall afterwards...
Old Mon Mar 21, 2005, 06:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bballrob
Quote:
Originally posted by WyMike
Quote:
Originally posted by MegatronOSU
This should be printed on the cover of every program in every tournament. There are parents and coaches whom might have a wake up call after reading it.

Case in point. 5th grade girls are playing and I have a crying, and I mean CRYING girl running the floor in the 4th. I tell the coach to check her after we do a few trips up and back because I think she may be hurt. Coach informs me "She's alright!" as if to tell me to mind my own business. Fine.

My partner goes to adminster a throw-in where this girls is defending the inbounds pass and she's still crying. He puts his arm around her to she if she's okay and she just nods and looks over at the coach. We continue play and the game ends. Of course this team got rolled up and lost.

After the game the coach is absolutely ripping this girl in the hall out near the concessions where everyone can hear. It's the traditional "you don't want it bad enough!!!", "you're being lazy!!!", "you're letting you're team down!!!", and the best of all "do you want to play or not!!?!?!?" tantrums. The girl is still crying and we're talking solid crying for over 15 minutes now.

Then after the coach is done, mom and dad get their turn and take their shots at her repeating almost everything the coach said verbatim. Then they haul her out to the car and God knows what happened out there. It was to the point I felt like intervening as it was certainly beginning to border on emotional child abuse.

Next day, same thing. Girl is crying during the last period... I just stayed out of the hall afterwards...
Why not do the girl a favor and find some way to "eject" her from the game.
Because she would probably turn up "missing" the following day!
Old Mon Mar 21, 2005, 11:16pm
Official Forum Member

where I live, yelling and chewing out the players used to be the norm and I feel it should still be. If you want to have fun recreationally, then by all means go play rec ball. If you want to be competitive and take winning seriously and religiously then you need one of these coaches and these parents to be on your butt constantly. I never thought of basketball while i was in high school as fun. It was my job and my duty to lead that team to a win because when I played some of the other players did not have any motivation if our old coach(we had a new one who did not yell at all, at us my junior and senior year) was not on their a$$.

I consider that coach to be doing his job and trying to motivate his players. If you have ever heard of a coach by the name of Rick Insell from Tennessee who has won about 10 state championships in his 20 years as a head coach at Shelbyville High School write back, because you want to talk about a man who will chew his girls out.
Old Mon Mar 21, 2005, 11:36pm
Official Forum Member

refTN I get what your saying but there is a BIG difference between high school ball and 5th grade girls (or boys for that matter!).

Old Tue Mar 22, 2005, 12:22am
Keeper of the HAMMER

RefTN,
If a coach can't get the best out of his players without swearing at them, then he should be in college. I've seen coaches chew their kids out, and it's usually very contructive. However, I'm not going to sit by and listen to him swear a blue streak on my court. If he's yelling at his players, I'll warn him once. And if he's screaming at his kids, you can darn sure bet my bench decorum rule will be strictly enforced.
The reason for that is simple, and one I've learned from experience. If he's up screaming at his kids, then he's far more likely to try to coach me the same way. The only way for me to control it is to make sure he knows that I'm going to enforce his limits.
Best girls coaches I saw this past season were both up yelling at their kids. They were both willing to chew some kids out when they needed it; and they both focused entirely on the kids and only occasionally pleaded for a call. One was a former D-1 (Big 12) player who did an incredible job, IMO, of coaching his select teams. The other happened to be a Dad coaching his daughter's freshman team.
Old Tue Mar 22, 2005, 12:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by refTN
where I live, yelling and chewing out the players used to be the norm and I feel it should still be. If you want to have fun recreationally, then by all means go play rec ball. If you want to be competitive and take winning seriously and religiously then you need one of these coaches and these parents to be on your butt constantly. I never thought of basketball while i was in high school as fun. It was my job and my duty to lead that team to a win because when I played some of the other players did not have any motivation if our old coach(we had a new one who did not yell at all, at us my junior and senior year) was not on their a$$.

I consider that coach to be doing his job and trying to motivate his players. If you have ever heard of a coach by the name of Rick Insell from Tennessee who has won about 10 state championships in his 20 years as a head coach at Shelbyville High School write back, because you want to talk about a man who will chew his girls out.
Oh my. I hope my son never has a coach (yes, even at the HS level) who takes the game religiously. The game (and I emphasize game) should be fun first.

Z
Old Tue Mar 22, 2005, 01:33am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally posted by refTN

I doubt that John Wooden would agree with you.
He won 10 NCAA National Championships in a 12 year period without screaming and acting like a jerk.

Motivation is a major issue, but being a class act is even more important. There are other ways to motivate which are probably even more effective.