The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Oct 22, 2004, 01:55pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman

He said that you need to learn to stand up for yourself and your calls or "you will find yourself with more problems."

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Sometimes you just gotta walk away. Note "walk", not run away.
I guess I am not seeing your point. Because who said you cannot walk away?

Quote:
That was his commentary on always feeling like you have to "run away" from the coach because you have the option of a mechanic. He also said that you are going to the table side all game long. You can go to the table and handle a coach in these situations as well.

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Ya gotta know when to hold em' and know when to fold em'.
Who said you cannot know when to pick your battles? The comments were to suggest that you have to know when it is not in the best interest of the game to "run" away from a coach that is going to be upset. Z, what are you talking about?

Quote:
I just called the 5th foul on A1, team A's best player. As I report, I hear coach A, with his two years of varsity experience, starting to vent his frustration on me. Based on an earlier attempt to calm down a frustrated coach A, I know that he's probably past the reasoning stage, despite my good coach/ref intervention abilities. I can either tell the coach that he has 30 seconds to get a sub in to which he responds, "go F#*$ yourself ref" or I can slowly walk away and let my partner walk over and tell him.
I am not going to tell the coach he has 30 seconds to do anything. All I am going to tell him is that he needs to get a sub. If he does not know the rule (he will have a 10 second warning btw) that is his problem. What difference does it make if he tells me to go F@@K myself as I am standing right next to him or he yells it across the court? Why is this situation any different than any other point of the game? I did not realize a coach could not curse at me or my partner at any other point of the game.

Quote:
If he vents on my partner, my partner T's him up. Now it doesn't look like any personal vendettas because I called the 5th foul and my partner T'd him up. We gave him a chance to regain his composure and he chose not to. Nobody can say I baited him into his 5th cuz' all I did was report and walk away.
Who cares what it looks like? If a coach curses like that, I do not care who sticks him. Remember there is a POE about profanity and vulgar language. I could T up a coach during a regular situation and he could say that it was personal. What difference does it make if you T them then or any other point? I know of coaches that acted like a total a@@ and claimed the entire time it was personal. I do not worry about how coaches precieve these actions. And at least the people I work for understand that coaches can get goofy and some have such a bad reputation that it is amazing they survive the rest of any game. So who really cares what they think if they are acting the way you suggest.

I guess we have different concerns as officials.

Peace
Old Fri Oct 22, 2004, 03:42pm
Esteemed Participant

Maybe I'm missing something here, but it seems to me that you two (Rut and Z) are saying the same things...when you need to get away from the coach after a 5th foul or a T, then go opposite...if you don't feel the need to get away, stay table side...seems kinda simple to me, but then I'm one of these Northwest guys and maybe the rain has made my brain a little rusty...