View Single Post
Old Fri Oct 22, 2004, 12:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Z,

If you point of view on this is that the NF has a great mechanic, you are talking to the wrong person. I am not debating whether the mechanic to give us the "option" is good or bad. I just feel that as an official you cannot just say "I only have one option in these situations." You have to be somewhat flexible considering that we are now going table side for all fouls.

In my area if you are doing 3 Man games, you are working a varsity game most likely. You do not just get those games without being experienced or having some idea on how to handle yourself. If you cannot handle yourself, you will not stay there very much longer. You might cause more problems for yourself if you cannot handle a coach that is upset than just simply running in the opposite direction.

BTW, one of the suggestions in the Rules Meeting last night was to have the calling official during a DQ'd situation to inform the coach, then start the clock. Then let the non-calling official wait for the sub within the 30 second time period. That is exactly what I have been doing for several years. It works for me and many successful officials I know as well.

Peace
Rut,

Your initial post was this: "Now he was implying that officials are going to have to stay table side even in situations that deal with DQ'd players and Ts." I don't agree with that at all.

Now you are saying that you need to be flexible. Of course, I agree with that. There are some high school coaches who get in a state of mind that they cannot be "handled," even by an NBA ref who puts out a DVD on handling coaches. In that situation, standing there just to prove you can handle it is pointless.

Z