View Single Post
Old Fri Oct 22, 2004, 08:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge

Whatever the language (and I was trying to be as accurate with his comments as possible) he used, it does not really matter. He takes the position that you should not have to run when you T someone up or DQ a player. I happen to agree. I guess why all game you are going table side and now in this one situation we are going to do something different.

Peace
Sure it matters, language has meaning. "Defending your calls" sounds defensive like you are saying, "no way coach, I am right and you are wrong." "Discussing your calls" is more like, "OK coach, I didn't see it that way but I understand what you are saying."

By giving referees the option to go away from tableside doesn't mean anyone is running away. You have to use your judgement and experience. If you think that the coach is just going to vent and nothing positive is going to come from you being there, get the heck out. Why be there if you have a hunch it's going to end up a bad situation? If you think it's going to be a helpful discussion, then maybe you stay.

I consider my ability to keep positive, open communication lines with coaches as my strengths. But there are also times when the best course of action is to walk away. Obviously, the NFHS has seen that coaches in general don't usually use DQ and T situations to have positive, helpful conversations.

Z

[Edited by zebraman on Oct 22nd, 2004 at 09:31 AM]