View Single Post
Old Fri Oct 22, 2004, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
I just think if you prejudge how bad a situation is, you can create more problems for yourself. I have no problem telling a coach his player fouled out when the entire gym can see what his player did to get that 5th foul. I can tell many do not agree, but that is OK with me.

Peace
I'm not saying that it never works Rut. In fact, it probably works a lot of the time. Sounds like it works regularly for you which is great and you should be commended for having good interpersonal skills. But in high school basketball, where the years of experience of both coaches and officials vary, I think the NFHS decided that it would be best to just get the official and coach apart during those potentially testy situations. Before they changed the DQ mechanic, I never had any problems with coaches letting them know that I had just sent their player to the bench with five fouls. However, I know some hS coaches (and I bet you do too) who would use that opportunity to vent and would do everything they could to make that 30-seconds miserable for the official.

Sometimes it's best to get back to a discussion later than right then when the coach is frustrated because he/she just lost their best player to fouls or got a T.

I've been reffing long enough now that it's pretty darn seldom that I ever feel that I need to walk away from a coach. However, in my first couple of years, I would have loved any mechanic that got me away from the bench area in a scenario where the coach might vent on me. I heard recently that the average "career length" of a high school official is between 3 and 4 years.

Z