View Single Post
Old Fri Oct 22, 2004, 01:27pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by JRutledge
[QUOTE]
I never suggested that you "had to do" anything.

Rut, your initial post said "have to."

Here it is again:

"Now he was implying that officials are going to have to stay table side even in situations that deal with DQ'd players and Ts."

He said that you need to learn to stand up for yourself and your calls or "you will find yourself with more problems."

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Sometimes you just gotta walk away. Note "walk", not run away.

That was his commentary on always feeling like you have to "run away" from the coach because you have the option of a mechanic. He also said that you are going to the table side all game long. You can go to the table and handle a coach in these situations as well.

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Ya gotta know when to hold em' and know when to fold em'.

I just called the 5th foul on A1, team A's best player. As I report, I hear coach A, with his two years of varsity experience, starting to vent his frustration on me. Based on an earlier attempt to calm down a frustrated coach A, I know that he's probably past the reasoning stage, despite my good coach/ref intervention abilities. I can either tell the coach that he has 30 seconds to get a sub in to which he responds, "go F#*$ yourself ref" or I can slowly walk away and let my partner walk over and tell him. If he vents on my partner, my partner T's him up. Now it doesn't look like any personal vendettas because I called the 5th foul and my partner T'd him up. We gave him a chance to regain his composure and he chose not to. Nobody can say I baited him into his 5th cuz' all I did was report and walk away.

Z

[Edited by zebraman on Oct 22nd, 2004 at 02:35 PM]