View Single Post
Old Fri Oct 22, 2004, 10:52am
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman

Sure it matters, language has meaning. "Defending your calls" sounds defensive like you are saying, "no way coach, I am right and you are wrong." "Discussing your calls" is more like, "OK coach, I didn't see it that way but I understand what you are saying."
Not sure I completly understand you point, but you have a right to feel that way....I guess.

Quote:
By giving referees the option to go away from tableside doesn't mean anyone is running away. You have to use your judgement and experience. If you think that the coach is just going to vent and nothing positive is going to come from you being there, get the heck out. Why be there if you have a hunch it's going to end up a bad situation? If you think it's going to be a helpful discussion, then maybe you stay.
I have no problem with the option. But I have found in my years of working varsity ball, you are going to have to say something or handle a coach when they are upset. That situation is not going to just happen during a T or DQ'd player. As a matter of fact, it is better if I talk to a coach after a T then try to have a partner explain something they did not see or know why something happen.

Quote:
I consider my ability to keep positive, open communication lines with coaches as my strengths. But there are also times when the best course of action is to walk away. Obviously, the NFHS has seen that coaches in general don't usually use DQ and T situations to have positive, helpful conversations.
I have never said not to walk away. I am saying that you cannot assume that all situations like this are going to be confrontational.

Danny Crawford of the NBA provided a DVD of situations the NBA made for training. They had the Referees with a mike on and showed clips of how they handled both players and coaches. In just about every situation on the DVD the referees did not walk away from any confrontation. As a matter of fact they would engage it to make a point or to suggest that "they needed to play the game and not worry about them." The officials would walk away after they made a point, but they were not constantly running the opposite direction. Even during timeouts they would approach the bench side to make a point if need be.

This is why I love this table side mechanic. I was tired of defending calls that I did not see nor had no idea what happen. I did not like getting yelled at because my partner had to go opposite the table on their calls. I also like explaining my own calls or having a word with a coach about what I would see. When I would make a call, I would make an effort if a coach was really complaining to say something at a timeout or during a dead ball. I just think if you prejudge how bad a situation is, you can create more problems for yourself. I have no problem telling a coach his player fouled out when the entire gym can see what his player did to get that 5th foul. I can tell many do not agree, but that is OK with me.

Peace