The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 13, 2004, 03:10pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Robmoz
[/B]
When I try to apply my judgement to such a problem I find myself ignoring the horn and let the play run its course.

I would never stop the play simply for the confusion that occured regardeless of the effect and I do not see this as an advantage/disadvantage situation. Eventually, there will be a violation (ie. travel, dd, oob) in which the confusion will end or the other team will play the ball and we continue on; I cannot see this as NOT being fair.

[/B][/QUOTE]So........

If the horn goes off, and the player with the ball stops dribbling, picks the ball up and takes a coupla steps towards the table, you think that calling travelling on this player would be fair.

I think it's safe to say that we disagree philosophically on this one.
Old Wed Oct 13, 2004, 04:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
So........

If the horn goes off, and the player with the ball stops dribbling, picks the ball up and takes a coupla steps towards the table, you think that calling travelling on this player would be fair.
If it's a Varsity player - yep. With no hesitation or regret.
Old Wed Oct 13, 2004, 05:13pm
cingram

I'm sorry but I tend to agree with Jurassic here (and that may come back to haunt me)

I tend to judge my reactions to an inadvertent horn by the reactions of the players. If they stop playing (especially if it is 9 out of 10) I will blow it dead, find out what happened and play from the point of interruption.

WeekendRef said: "I do not blow the whistle this entire time as I think it is the buzzer on the next court."

Obviously 2 games are going on at the same time. In this situation you have to be aware of what is going on around you. If the players feel a whistle/horn was meant for their game they will stop playing.

Now as for arguing the other side - making the call quickly (before the shot) helps sell it, if you let play continue it's hard to call something that you didn't blow your whistle for in the first place.