View Single Post
Old Wed Oct 13, 2004, 11:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman
Quote:
Originally posted by Smitty
Am I the only one who thinks it would be the right thing to do to count the basket and go from there? Neither official "stopped play" after the horn went off, so play goes on. Only a whistle stops the play. The refs were to blame for the situation - game awareness. How many times has a horn gone off inadvertently and you just tell the kids to play on? The rule that was quoted previously is irrelevant because the refs never stopped the play with a whistle.
Yep, either blow the whistle right away and stop play or play on. Make a decisive move and stick with it.

Also, preventative officiating: My pre-game captains meeting is very brief, but I always remind them to "play the whistle, not the horn"... especially in girls games where our state uses a shot clock.

Z
What about all those who advocate NOT blowing the whistle to coincide with the end of a quarter? With there philosoply, the players are expected to know to stop on the quarter ending horn. Unless the players have their eyes glued on the clock, how are they supposed to know if "this" horn is one to stop on or play through.

If a live ball horn disrupts players and give one team an advantage. I'm stopping play, even retroactively.