View Single Post
Old Wed Oct 13, 2004, 12:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Camron Rust

If a live ball horn disrupts players and give one team an advantage. I'm stopping play, even retroactively. [/B]
I can can empathize with the defense that the horn sounded and they stopped play even though there was no whistle. I can support the offense for continuing play citing the "whistle stops the play not the horn" rule. I accept the notion that that FAIR play is paramount. If I believe in conspiracy theories, I can even envision that a horn interruption can be a ploy by the home timekeeper to disrupt the visiting team's offensive opportunity for many different reasons. When I try to apply my judgement to such a problem I find myself ignoring the horn and let the play run its course.

I would never stop the play simply for the confusion that occured regardeless of the effect and I do not see this as an advantage/disadvantage situation. Eventually, there will be a violation (ie. travel, dd, oob) in which the confusion will end or the other team will play the ball and we continue on; I cannot see this as NOT being fair.

Would the mechanic for stopping the play be...tweeeeeet, raised open hand, then a scratching of the head motion?