View Single Post
Old Mon Oct 11, 2004, 05:45pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by WeekendRef
Team B is not terribly pleased and asks for an explanation and I tell them that for all intents and purposes play stopped (In my opinion the shooter was just putting it up without much regard as to what happened)because of the horn and if the ball had not gone in I would have awarded them possesion on the miss when we re-started . It all sounded great to me and the coach was somewhat mollified (My partner was not real pleased with my decision) so we continued on from there . Now I know technically I should not have done this and if it ever happened again I would count the hoop and play on but at the time I thought common sense was the correct choice .
BTW of course Team A lost on two free throws converted by Team B with 4 seconds left
Technically, your butt is covered. See case book play 2.11.3- "If the scorer signals when the ball is live, the official should ignore the signal if a scoring play is in progress. Otherwise, the official may stop play to determine the the reason for the scorer's signal". The scoring play in your situation wasn't in progress when the horn went off, but came AFTER the horn sounded. You meet the purpose and intent of this rule if you cancel everything that happened after the horn and then resume play at the point of interruption.

Imo, you used good, common sense in coming up with the call that you did come up with.