The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 12, 2004, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

NFHS Preseason Basketball Guide 04-05

Includes a short article discussing the clarification of Rule 3-3-6 Note
If players from both teams are directed to leave the gamebecause of injury/blood, both teams must request and be granted a time-out in order to keep each player in the game.

The guide goes on to say "the time-outs are charged immediately and are run concurrently ... NOT ONE AFTER THE OTHER ... players may return immediately following the timeoutS.

Okay.

So what if one team request a full time-out for their player and the other coach requests a 30 second time-out to run concurrently/at the same time with the opponents full time-out. Is that okay or do I need to impose upon the coaches that both time-outs need to be the same length? If they don't need to be the same length, one coach is getting a better deal. However, I don't see anything to stop the quick thinking coach from only burning a 30 yet getting the benefit of his opponent's full time-out.
Old Tue Oct 12, 2004, 11:08am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
That's a nightmare waiting to happen.

So if you have two opponents go down, you have to go to both coaches and ask if they want to use a TO right now for the injured player?

If you don't do that, then what if one coach doesn't realize that he has to request the TO until after the other team's TO is up. Can the coach just say, "My kid's ready to go. Charge me for the TO, and we'll just say I already used it."?

Old Tue Oct 12, 2004, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

If two opponents are instructed to leave for blood/injury, the official is to get confirmation of time-outs for both teams or, if only one wants a time-out, he is to get a substitute before the opponent's time-out is administered.

But you are right; if not properly administered, I can see exactly what you have stated occurring regularly, "my guy is ready to go!"
Old Tue Oct 12, 2004, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

To get a player back in from blood/injury you have to use a full time out, if one is not available then you can use a 30.. so this takes care of the question which one to use..they don't have a choice....and as long as you follow correct procedure about putting in a sub if the other team does not want to re-enter his player, everything will be fine...if he is ready after the timeout he still has to wait till a tick goes off the clock..

i think this was my question a couple weeks ago, glad it got answered, simultaneous timeouts....not one after the other...
Old Tue Oct 12, 2004, 03:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jritchie
To get a player back in from blood/injury you have to use a full time out, if one is not available then you can use a 30.. so this takes care of the question which one to use..they don't have a choice....and as long as you follow correct procedure about putting in a sub if the other team does not want to re-enter his player, everything will be fine...if he is ready after the timeout he still has to wait till a tick goes off the clock..

i think this was my question a couple weeks ago, glad it got answered, simultaneous timeouts....not one after the other...
what rule says you have to use a full timeout??
Old Tue Oct 12, 2004, 09:14pm
Administrator

The blood rule timeout and the problems that can surface with the new NFHS rule (which is identical to the current NCAA Men's/Women's rule) has been discussed in an earlier thread.

And once again I propose that both the NFHS and the NCAA just do away with the timeout rule. The easiest and fairest way to handle the blood problem is for the player involved to leave the game until the next opportunity to return to the game.

I know that people will say: How can you take a team's star player out of the game when the game is on the line and only seconds left on the clock? That argument does not hold water. Most people who read this forum know that I officiate between 350 and 400 basketball games a year. I would guess that I have only two or three blood rule situations a year. And I believe that every official who reads this forum were to track the number of blood rule situations that they have per year, the results would be similar to mine. The fact is that blood rule situations are very rare and to put complicated rules into the game to cover a very rare situation is absolute nonsense.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue Oct 12, 2004, 10:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
The blood rule timeout and the problems that can surface with the new NFHS rule (which is identical to the current NCAA Men's/Women's rule) has been discussed in an earlier thread.

And once again I propose that both the NFHS and the NCAA just do away with the timeout rule. The easiest and fairest way to handle the blood problem is for the player involved to leave the game until the next opportunity to return to the game.

I know that people will say: How can you take a team's star player out of the game when the game is on the line and only seconds left on the clock? That argument does not hold water. Most people who read this forum know that I officiate between 350 and 400 basketball games a year. I would guess that I have only two or three blood rule situations a year. And I believe that every official who reads this forum were to track the number of blood rule situations that they have per year, the results would be similar to mine. The fact is that blood rule situations are very rare and to put complicated rules into the game to cover a very rare situation is absolute nonsense.

MTD, Sr.
IMHO, It's not that complicated. Far less complicated than correctable errors and it happens more often than correctable errors.

Z
Old Wed Oct 13, 2004, 12:12am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:

MTD, Sr.
It's not just blood, though, is it? It also includes injury. For one player to be injured or "bloodied" and have to leave the game, isn't all that rare, but I agree that to have one from each team injured at the same time is rare indeed. I doubt the average would be even as high as one per year per ref. I'm not going to lose a lot of sleep over it!!
Old Wed Oct 13, 2004, 07:46am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:

MTD, Sr.
It's not just blood, though, is it? It also includes injury. For one player to be injured or "bloodied" and have to leave the game, isn't all that rare, but I agree that to have one from each team injured at the same time is rare indeed. I doubt the average would be even as high as one per year per ref. I'm not going to lose a lot of sleep over it!!

Juulie:

You are correct that the rule also applies to injuries, I should have noted that fact. But lets look at the big picture. Even factoring in the entire scoop of the rule, how many times does an injured player or blood rule situation happen during the course of the season. It just does not happen enough times to justify a complicated timeout rule.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed Oct 13, 2004, 07:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cmathews
Quote:

what rule says you have to use a full timeout??
I'm still using the 03-04 books, but I couldn't find anything indicating it had to be a full time-out.

3-3-5 deals with an injured player leaving the game "unless a time-out is requested by, and granted to, his/her team..."

3-3-6 deals with a bleeding player or blood on the uniform and the player leaving the game "unless a time-out is requested by, and granted to, his/her team..."

Unless there is something in the new books (or the old books that I didn't find), the length of the time-out doesn't appear to be specified.

Old Wed Oct 13, 2004, 08:03am
In Memoriam

Quote:
I know that people will say: How can you take a team's star player out of the game when the game is on the line and only seconds left on the clock? That argument does not hold water.
Mark T.,
I agree with your philosophy regarding the blood rule, but when we throw into the mix that the *star player* was not bleeding, and only had incidental blood from another player (accidentally or intentionally), I think the approved procedure of buying a player back into the game may be justified.
mick
Old Wed Oct 13, 2004, 08:05am
Official Forum Member

went to our state clinic last night here in kentucky and our commissioner had that exact play on his power point presentation, He said for them to use a full time out each, if they had them, if they didn't have a full, THEN a 30 could be used....don't remember what rule it was and don't have my books with me, but he did say the timeouts would be CONCURRENT timeouts and if one coach didn't want to use a timeout to get their player back in, make sure you have them replace the injured/bloodied player before granting the other teams timeout, i'll try to find the rule number.
Old Wed Oct 13, 2004, 08:19am
Official Forum Member

at our rules meeting last night, we probably had the same powerpoint as jritchie and the same explaination.

Mark, i agree, i'm just over 700 games and have never had a coach do a buy in. seems that "if" i get blood, i get alot of it and player has to go get stitched. now that i've said it, this will probably be the year!
Old Wed Oct 13, 2004, 08:28am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
went to our state clinic last night here in kentucky and our commissioner had that exact play on his power point presentation, He said for them to use a full time out each, if they had them, if they didn't have a full, THEN a 30 could be used....don't remember what rule it was and don't have my books with me, but he did say the timeouts would be CONCURRENT timeouts and if one coach didn't want to use a timeout to get their player back in, make sure you have them replace the injured/bloodied player before granting the other teams timeout, i'll try to find the rule number.

No rule or interpretation that I know of except
the "Editorial Change" (pg2) NFHS Referee Basketball Guide '04-05 - 'Buy-in' Time-out Further Explained
Old Wed Oct 13, 2004, 08:34am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Nu1
[/B]
what rule says you have to use a full timeout?? [/B][/QUOTE]

I'm still using the 03-04 books, but I couldn't find anything indicating it had to be a full time-out.

[/B][/QUOTE]If you still have your 2002-03 casebook, look at the comments on p3- specifically the one at the top. It says "This change permits a player who is required to leave the game for blood or injury to remain in the game if the team calls a time-out (60 or 30-second) and the situation can be corrected by the end of the time-out". The coach gets a choice of whether to use a full or a 30.