View Single Post
Old Mon Oct 11, 2004, 05:11pm
Official Forum Member

High School Varsity fall league /scrimmage last night . Team A comes down and sets up in half court offense and is moving the ball around the perimeter when the buzzer goes off and everyone except for one player stops and looks around . Of course that one player has the ball and casually tosses up a 3 pointer and drains it . I do not blow the whistle this entire time as I think it is the buzzer on the next court . Team B takes the ball out and just stands there and the timer starts yelling at me that she is sorry about blowing the horn and Team B coach is yelling also but he is not sorry ...he is mad that we didn't stop play . I then blow the whistle confer with the timer about what happened and then call over my partner . My partner is pretty adament about counting the score as no whistle blew but in my infinite wisdom (OK first game of the year)I decide to wave the basket off and award the ball to team A at the top of the key . Team B is not terribly pleased and asks for an explanation and I tell them that for all intents and purposes play stopped (In my opinion the shooter was just putting it up without much regard as to what happened)because of the horn and if the ball had not gone in I would have awarded them possesion on the miss when we re-started . It all sounded great to me and the coach was somewhat mollified (My partner was not real pleased with my decision) so we continued on from there . Now I know technically I should not have done this and if it ever happened again I would count the hoop and play on but at the time I thought common sense was the correct choice . If anyone has any insight on how they would have handled this I am more then happy to hear...
I am prepared to face the firing squad for making this egregious error . My partner was laughing after the game because I was able to sell the call but he said I would have gotten reamed by the board if this was a "real" game...and I agreed with him wholeheartedly .
BTW of course Team A lost on two free throws converted by Team B with 4 seconds left