The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 04, 2004, 06:30pm
Official Forum Member

After working and watching several basketball games this weekend, I noticed it seemed almost ever official had loose and sloppy mechanics. Personally, I pride myself on crisp, clean mechanics and it bothers me when other officials do not. Has anyone else noticed this? And for all you evaluators, how does this factor into your evaluations?
Old Mon Oct 04, 2004, 07:20pm
Official Forum Member

Perhaps they're just using they're "rec ball" mechanics. The season is still a ways off. Not that I subscribe to there being a difference, but then I'm young and idealistic
Old Mon Oct 04, 2004, 08:29pm
Official Forum Member

I don't work much non-school ball, but when I accept a game I try to work it in a professional manner. Some officials have pretty lazy mechanics (and pretty lazy court coverage) for "rec" games. Bugs me too, but to each their own.

As far as evaluating other officials, mechanics are part of the total package. You can't be a top official unless you have all the tools and sharp mechanics are part of the complete official.

Z
Old Mon Oct 04, 2004, 10:36pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
Watch Jim Burr. Some "bad" mechanics but not sloppy. I think everyone knows what he just called. He just doesn't use text book mechanics sometimes.

I agree. Rec ball is very sloppy mechanics. I am not sure where to stand or what to look at because my partner is officiating from the top of the key or center of the lane and calling three seconds every time down the floor. He missed all the travel calls and the illegal screens. Can be frustrating.
Old Tue Oct 05, 2004, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

Some officials are deviating from the "standard" or "approved" mechanics in order to set themselves apart from other officials. There are ways to get "noticed" by an assignor that don't necessarily have to do with your calls.

Is there a record for using "quotation marks" in a single post?
a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented."
Arnold Palmer
Old Tue Oct 05, 2004, 12:08pm
Do not give a damn!!

Not so fast.

Quote:
Originally posted by SF
After working and watching several basketball games this weekend, I noticed it seemed almost ever official had loose and sloppy mechanics. Personally, I pride myself on crisp, clean mechanics and it bothers me when other officials do not. Has anyone else noticed this? And for all you evaluators, how does this factor into your evaluations?
What level were these games? I know when I work summer leagues or non-camp games. I use college mechanics or not all NF signal mechanics. I already know the NF mechanics, but when I work other levels, I tend to work on other mechanics. I also know officials that work Pro-Am games and other levels that do not conform to one level.

Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman
I don't work much non-school ball, but when I accept a game I try to work it in a professional manner. Some officials have pretty lazy mechanics (and pretty lazy court coverage) for "rec" games. Bugs me too, but to each their own.

As far as evaluating other officials, mechanics are part of the total package. You can't be a top official unless you have all the tools and sharp mechanics are part of the complete official.

Z

I am going to have to take you to task on this one. I take pride in my mechanics as well, but officials that have established themselves are not going to be considered a horrible official just because they do not use all the proper mechanics. Of course it varies by area, conference and level. You just cannot tell me that only the best officials have sharp mechanics. Now when you are a younger official you have to have really good mechanics. But you cannot say that a guy that has worked multiple state finals or works the D1 level for 20 years is held to the same standard as a rookie or a first year D1 official. It might not be right in your mind, but life is not fair. And I am not going to hold officials to a standard for a rec, youth or men's league game because their mechanics are not perfect.

Peace
Old Tue Oct 05, 2004, 01:28pm
Official Forum Member

Rut,

I've never seen a top official who had sloppy mechanics. Top officials may not always have the "proper" mechanics, but the mechanics they do have are sharp and definitive.

Let's say that you are watching two top-notch officials. The only difference you notice is that one has mastered mechanics and the other hasn't. Which one do you think would probably get the edge?

I don't evaluate college officials... just NFHS refs. For me (and everyone else I know who evaluates HS officials), mechanics are important (among many other things).

Z
Old Tue Oct 05, 2004, 01:38pm
Official Forum Member

At all 3 camps I attended this summer, there was a huge emphasis on mechanics and appearance. In fact, several times I heard comments that in some circles, mechanics can take you farther than talent. Proper positioning can be considered a mechanic.

[Edited by ChrisSportsFan on Oct 5th, 2004 at 03:31 PM]
Old Tue Oct 05, 2004, 01:47pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Rut,

I've never seen a top official who had sloppy mechanics. Top officials may not always have the "proper" mechanics, but the mechanics they do have are sharp and definitive.
I guess you have never watched an D1 NCAA game.

Quote:
Let's say that you are watching two top-notch officials. The only difference you notice is that one has mastered mechanics and the other hasn't. Which one do you think would probably get the edge?
That depends on the resume of both officials. The official that has worked 3 Final Fours and 2 National Championships with the less than perfect mechanics might be seen as the better official than the guy that just starting working in the NCAA Tournament.

Quote:
I don't evaluate college officials... just NFHS refs. For me (and everyone else I know who evaluates HS officials), mechanics are important (among many other things).

Z
I only use the NCAA level as an example. But since you mentioned HS refs, I can tell you the same applies. There are veterans that are not downgraded because their mechanics are not perfect in my state. Of course the official that has not achieved the same as a State Final Official, but this is no different because we are not talking about college. Remember, you mentioned "top notch official" as if that we are only talking about HS officials. I know some very top that work both college and HS games and get some very big HS games and tournaments, despite their mechanics. We have even had some get to the State Final level and not completely use NF Mechanics.

Peace
Old Tue Oct 05, 2004, 02:05pm
In Memoriam

Quote:

Yes, mechanics are important, and the most important mechanic imo is knowing how to get into proper position, and then how to maintain that position. Having said that, game control, maintaining flow, advantage/disadvantage, consistency and plain ol' getting the calls right are a heckuva lot more important than any mechanic used. I've never yet heard a coach, AD, or league administrator complain that an official didn't have an arm straight up on a foul, used non-standard signals, etc., etc. They don't really care HOW the official ends up getting the call right; they do care that the official DOES get the call right.

I've seen quite a few officials with great mechanics who, to be quite honest, just simply aren't very good officials. Mechanics can usually be taught very easily. Judgement, presence, confidence and consistency can't.

[Edited by Jurassic Referee on Oct 5th, 2004 at 03:08 PM]
Old Tue Oct 05, 2004, 02:21pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb Maybe I am just different.

I think JR hit it on the head.

I am not saying that mechanics are not very important. They are extremely important when working a college game, HS game or any other level that has very specific guidelines to follow. But if I am working a game that I am wearing shorts and we are not using all the rules (summer leagues for example) I am not going to hold that official to the same standard as for when it really counts. I know I use many college mechanics during HS summer leagues. Now when I am at a camp, I work the game just like I would during the regular season. I will assume because we are in October (unless you live in Michigan ) this game was not a "real game." I know during the summer we do not run to the table and report. We might not take the ball out the same way during the regular season; I do not think I will hold that against an official for that.

Peace
Old Tue Oct 05, 2004, 02:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge

I guess you have never watched an D1 NCAA game.

Well I've seen some goofy mechanics in NCAA D-1 tournament games (including one guy hunched over like he was working behind the plate in a baseball game), but their mechanics were very demonstrative and confident. Maybe not "proper" but sharp.

That depends on the resume of both officials. The official that has worked 3 Final Fours and 2 National Championships with the less than perfect mechanics might be seen as the better official than the guy that just starting working in the NCAA Tournament.

You just changed the rules. I said that two guys were equal in all areas except for mechanics. Now you just made them unequal.

I only use the NCAA level as an example. But since you mentioned HS refs, I can tell you the same applies. There are veterans that are not downgraded because their mechanics are not perfect in my state.

Not in my state. You have to have it all at the state championships. One weakness (mechanics included) and you won't stand make it to the final day of games. There are too many other officials there who call a great game and have great mechanics too.

Z
Old Tue Oct 05, 2004, 04:16pm
Esteemed Participant

I will back zebraman up on that one...mechanics are stressed very much at the State tournaments out here...call a great game, but use sloppy (or not NFHS) mechanics and your tournament will be over quickly...of course the opposite is also true - call a lousy game but have sharp mechanics, and you're done...gotta bring the whole package to the table...
Old Tue Oct 05, 2004, 04:56pm
Official Forum Member

I'm not talking about college mechanics - just plain old bad ones. For example, some times I wasn't sure what my partner called - he was just waving his arms in the air. Or not putting a hand in the air to stop the clock, instead just blowing your whistle. These were new refs, supposedly they had completed their training and done lower level games, and they were giving them a chance at games played by better players before high school season starts. (Yes it was "rec" but it was one of those leagues with the ultra competitive traveling teams, so the ball wasn't that bad). In my opinion, there isn't an excuse for downright sloppy mechanics - that's just an issue of how much you care. Are you guys seeing this where you are?

Sara
Old Tue Oct 05, 2004, 05:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SF
I'm not talking about college mechanics - just plain old bad ones. For example, some times I wasn't sure what my partner called - he was just waving his arms in the air. Or not putting a hand in the air to stop the clock, instead just blowing your whistle. These were new refs, supposedly they had completed their training and done lower level games, and they were giving them a chance at games played by better players before high school season starts. (Yes it was "rec" but it was one of those leagues with the ultra competitive traveling teams, so the ball wasn't that bad). In my opinion, there isn't an excuse for downright sloppy mechanics - that's just an issue of how much you care. Are you guys seeing this where you are?
I didn't know you were referring to real new refs SF. Be patient with them... all new refs (myself included when I first started) had sloppy mechanics... if we had any mechanics at all.

You can help them by giving them a thing or two per game to work on. But be careful not to overload them.

Z