View Single Post
Old Tue Oct 05, 2004, 12:08pm
Do not give a damn!!

Not so fast.

Quote:
Originally posted by SF
After working and watching several basketball games this weekend, I noticed it seemed almost ever official had loose and sloppy mechanics. Personally, I pride myself on crisp, clean mechanics and it bothers me when other officials do not. Has anyone else noticed this? And for all you evaluators, how does this factor into your evaluations?
What level were these games? I know when I work summer leagues or non-camp games. I use college mechanics or not all NF signal mechanics. I already know the NF mechanics, but when I work other levels, I tend to work on other mechanics. I also know officials that work Pro-Am games and other levels that do not conform to one level.

Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman
I don't work much non-school ball, but when I accept a game I try to work it in a professional manner. Some officials have pretty lazy mechanics (and pretty lazy court coverage) for "rec" games. Bugs me too, but to each their own.

As far as evaluating other officials, mechanics are part of the total package. You can't be a top official unless you have all the tools and sharp mechanics are part of the complete official.

Z

I am going to have to take you to task on this one. I take pride in my mechanics as well, but officials that have established themselves are not going to be considered a horrible official just because they do not use all the proper mechanics. Of course it varies by area, conference and level. You just cannot tell me that only the best officials have sharp mechanics. Now when you are a younger official you have to have really good mechanics. But you cannot say that a guy that has worked multiple state finals or works the D1 level for 20 years is held to the same standard as a rookie or a first year D1 official. It might not be right in your mind, but life is not fair. And I am not going to hold officials to a standard for a rec, youth or men's league game because their mechanics are not perfect.

Peace