View Single Post
Old Tue Oct 05, 2004, 05:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SF
I'm not talking about college mechanics - just plain old bad ones. For example, some times I wasn't sure what my partner called - he was just waving his arms in the air. Or not putting a hand in the air to stop the clock, instead just blowing your whistle. These were new refs, supposedly they had completed their training and done lower level games, and they were giving them a chance at games played by better players before high school season starts. (Yes it was "rec" but it was one of those leagues with the ultra competitive traveling teams, so the ball wasn't that bad). In my opinion, there isn't an excuse for downright sloppy mechanics - that's just an issue of how much you care. Are you guys seeing this where you are?
I didn't know you were referring to real new refs SF. Be patient with them... all new refs (myself included when I first started) had sloppy mechanics... if we had any mechanics at all.

You can help them by giving them a thing or two per game to work on. But be careful not to overload them.

Z