The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 05, 2004, 10:30pm
Do not give a damn!!

Exclamation Rome was not built in a day!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by SF
I'm not talking about college mechanics - just plain old bad ones. For example, some times I wasn't sure what my partner called - he was just waving his arms in the air. Or not putting a hand in the air to stop the clock, instead just blowing your whistle. These were new refs, supposedly they had completed their training and done lower level games, and they were giving them a chance at games played by better players before high school season starts. (Yes it was "rec" but it was one of those leagues with the ultra competitive traveling teams, so the ball wasn't that bad). In my opinion, there isn't an excuse for downright sloppy mechanics - that's just an issue of how much you care. Are you guys seeing this where you are?
What do you want them to do? They are new. You cannot expect new officials to know what to do or know how to look. It took me several games to just be able to get my hand up with the proper signal (fist or open hand). I was even told by a veteran not to bird dog on fouls until I could get that right. You cannot expect a new official to have flawless mechanics.

Peace
Old Wed Oct 06, 2004, 11:06am
Official Forum Member

Lightbulb Personal Experience

This will be my fourth year of doing NFHS games (7th overall). As a young and still inexperienced official, I can say that the one thing that young officials have the most trouble with is mechanics. In pre-game, if you see that you are with a young official, make it a point that both/all three of you get the mechanics right during the game. If need be, be slow and deliberate in the hand signals. Once that whistle is blown, nothing can happen until you say so. Therefore, take your time to ensure that the correct call is made and the correct mechanic is used. Stress this to the younger officials that you work with in pre-game or at halftime.