View Single Post
Old Tue Oct 05, 2004, 02:05pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman

I don't evaluate college officials... just NFHS refs. For me (and everyone else I know who evaluates HS officials), mechanics are important (among many other things).

Yes, mechanics are important, and the most important mechanic imo is knowing how to get into proper position, and then how to maintain that position. Having said that, game control, maintaining flow, advantage/disadvantage, consistency and plain ol' getting the calls right are a heckuva lot more important than any mechanic used. I've never yet heard a coach, AD, or league administrator complain that an official didn't have an arm straight up on a foul, used non-standard signals, etc., etc. They don't really care HOW the official ends up getting the call right; they do care that the official DOES get the call right.

I've seen quite a few officials with great mechanics who, to be quite honest, just simply aren't very good officials. Mechanics can usually be taught very easily. Judgement, presence, confidence and consistency can't.

[Edited by Jurassic Referee on Oct 5th, 2004 at 03:08 PM]