View Single Post
Old Tue Oct 05, 2004, 01:47pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman
Rut,

I've never seen a top official who had sloppy mechanics. Top officials may not always have the "proper" mechanics, but the mechanics they do have are sharp and definitive.
I guess you have never watched an D1 NCAA game.

Quote:
Let's say that you are watching two top-notch officials. The only difference you notice is that one has mastered mechanics and the other hasn't. Which one do you think would probably get the edge?
That depends on the resume of both officials. The official that has worked 3 Final Fours and 2 National Championships with the less than perfect mechanics might be seen as the better official than the guy that just starting working in the NCAA Tournament.

Quote:
I don't evaluate college officials... just NFHS refs. For me (and everyone else I know who evaluates HS officials), mechanics are important (among many other things).

Z
I only use the NCAA level as an example. But since you mentioned HS refs, I can tell you the same applies. There are veterans that are not downgraded because their mechanics are not perfect in my state. Of course the official that has not achieved the same as a State Final Official, but this is no different because we are not talking about college. Remember, you mentioned "top notch official" as if that we are only talking about HS officials. I know some very top that work both college and HS games and get some very big HS games and tournaments, despite their mechanics. We have even had some get to the State Final level and not completely use NF Mechanics.

Peace