The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 29, 2004, 01:46am
Do not give a damn!!

Exclamation Is the knife dull or sharp when you use it?

Quote:
Originally posted by mightyvol
i must say you are a class act.

thanks again, i only learn from the best mr rutledge.

take care.

mighty
I do not consider myself the best. But I sure do not come here and rip officials on a game when I am the one watching it on TV.

If you learn anything, it should be to not call "over the back" anytime in your games. But maybe that is the term for officials that like to use knifes with their fellow officials.

Peace
Old Mon Mar 29, 2004, 01:57am
Official Forum Member

If i may ask what level do you officiate and how often. I am really curious to know this? I would like to know from what perspective you see the game? Do you officiate major college ball or high school? I would like to just say that i wasnt the one who started this thread,but i was the one commenting about the last foul. I in no way shape or form called the official out. I made the comment that in that paricular situation i would have had a hard time calling the foul. If that makes me a BAD official i sincerely regret making this an objective. I have been an official at the high school and collegiate level(mens) for the last 10 years. I must be doing something right. Didnt want to open up of can of worms, just disagreed with the officials call, if that makes me an outcast than i am sorry. I will never question anyone elses judgement again. I know we have all been their for the sake of conversation this has been fun. Once again i would love to officiate with you any time and at any place. I have a few friends at the D-1 level that i can travel with to get to your location. I would love too. I think i would be a better official after our game.(LOL) I hope you have enough sense of humour to know that i am giving ya a little sh#t. Take care.

Mighty
Old Mon Mar 29, 2004, 02:13am
Do not give a damn!!

Thumbs down I'll pass.

Quote:
If i may ask what level do you officiate and how often. I am really curious to know this? I would like to know from what perspective you see the game? Do you officiate major college ball or high school? I would like to just say that i wasnt the one who started this thread,but i was the one commenting about the last foul. I in no way shape or form called the official out. I made the comment that in that paricular situation i would have had a hard time calling the foul.
I work primarly varsity Boy's and college on both sides the genders. This will be my 9th year and I have been doing varsity ball for 8 years with a full schedule. This coming year will be my 4th doing college games. And I have never called an "over the back" foul in any of them.

Quote:
If that makes me a BAD official i sincerely regret making this an objective. I have been an official at the high school and collegiate level(mens) for the last 10 years.
It does not make you a bad official, but if you are calling "over the backs," then at least in my area you would be watching more than working.

Quote:
I must be doing something right. Didnt want to open up of can of worms, just disagreed with the officials call, if that makes me an outcast than i am sorry.
Well if that is all true, you should know that the best seat in the house is on the floor, not on the TV screen. But having said that, to penalize a player that is taller and jumps up vertically, you cannot be working much college Men's ball. Especially when the player you claim got fouled jumped into the Tenn. player and the contact was slight at best.

Quote:
I will never question anyone elses judgement again. I know we have all been their for the sake of conversation this has been fun.
You can question someone's judgment if you like, but understand we can question your judgment as well. But if you were working the game, I would not be coming here to do so. Just not the way I do things. Especially with officials that are at a level I have never achieved.

Quote:
Once again i would love to officiate with you any time and at any place. I have a few friends at the D-1 level that i can travel with to get to your location. I would love too.
Exactly, you would have to travel with them. That is really the point. You are not a D1 official. So until you get to that point, I would suggest that you reserve your judgment or at the very least use proper language to describe a foul.

Quote:
I think i would be a better official after our game.(LOL) I hope you have enough sense of humour to know that i am giving ya a little sh#t. Take care.

Mighty
Actually I would never want to work with an official that calls "over the backs." Because all you would do is get me and our crew in trouble. And if you called a foul on that slight contact you suggested the official missed, then you really would get me in trouble.

I will pass.

Peace
Old Mon Mar 29, 2004, 02:58am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Without commenting on the play under discussion, I'd just like to say how nice it is to have an arguement about the womens' game. In the past three years, there have only been two, maybe three threads about the womens' side, and at least one year when there were none. So it feels like a win for everyone to have this come up.
Old Mon Mar 29, 2004, 03:13am
In Memoriam

Quote:
I would like to know from what perspective you see the game? I would like to just say that i wasnt the one who started this thread,but i was the one commenting about the last foul.

Officials look at a game from an official's perspective. Fans look at a game from their team's perspective only. Fans are biased. Obviously, MIGHTY VOL, you are looking at this game exactly the same way as the Tennessee fanboy that started this thread. Jmo, but both of you have just about the same believability when it comes to making comments about the officiating in one of your team's games.
Old Mon Mar 29, 2004, 09:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
in all honesty guys come on. who are you trying to kid. the right call should have been a no call. rich you are out of your mind if that wasnt over the back. as far as it not being called i can live with that, what i cant live with is the fact that a great game was determined on a very very questionable call. the fact of the matter is that they blew the whistle and life goes on, but dont tell me that the over the back wasnt more obvious than the loose ball foul. come on rich.
#1, there's no such thing as a over the back foul anywhere.

#2, there's no such thing as a loose ball foul in the NCAA.

#3, a "damn good official" should know that.

"do you here me?"

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Mar 29, 2004, 01:08pm
Official Forum Member

You're a college official and you use mightyvol as a moniker in a public forum.

That's like Jim Burr calling himself "Huskies Fanboy".
Old Mon Mar 29, 2004, 08:45pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to BOBBYMO Send a message via Yahoo to BOBBYMO

I agree with JRUT 100% on the no call on the 1st rebound. There was very lil contact and no advantage / disadvantage. Every TV replay that I have seen shows this very clearly as we had an open look from the angle on the camera.

I have seen the last play over and over again and I still have no clue what I would have called. I am pretty sure I would have had a foul also; But thats how close the play was. To say it was a bad call is crazy.

Just for the record. The MO in my name doesn't stand for Missouri
Old Mon Mar 29, 2004, 09:11pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Quote:
... but i say take in the concept that she is coming hard down the court and she is attacking the rack.
mighty

I'd foul someone too if they attacked my rack..

sorry.. couldn't resist.
Old Mon Mar 29, 2004, 10:18pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by oatmealqueen
Quote:
... but i say take in the concept that she is coming hard down the court and she is attacking the rack.
mighty

sorry.. couldn't resist.
Ya know...you never would have gotten away with this sh!t when Rich was moderator!

Old Tue Mar 30, 2004, 12:05am
Official Forum Member

Talking

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue Mar 30, 2004, 10:10am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Jeez, Tony, you could slap that warning label on about a dozen recent threads. Why stop here?
Old Tue Mar 30, 2004, 07:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by oatmealqueen
Quote:
mighty

sorry.. couldn't resist.
Ya know...you never would have gotten away with this sh!t when Rich was moderator!

I waited until he was gone to do it.
Old Tue Mar 30, 2004, 08:24pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Aha!
Sub in.