Thread: Big school bias
View Single Post
Old Mon Mar 29, 2004, 12:05am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by markcolopy
I cannot believe the bias toward Tenn. called in the game tonight at the end of the game. The officials "passed" on the push (by TN) on the missed layup and have the nerve to call a foul going for the ball with .3 seconds left. Every tournament game I've ever watched or officiated usually permits the players to decide the game. How could those officials after reviewing the tape have the nerve to LET Pat Summit and her big program BE GIVEN that foul and not let the game go in overtime, I want to know. My opinion is that CONTACT, NO ADVANTAGE with both rebounders back to the rim with one second left is part of the game, not a foul. The contact took place the same time as the final horn. Would those "experience/older" officials not hold their whisle on that and let the horn sound and OT decide the game knowing what time was left? My opinion is those officials should not work another tournament game this year for blowing that one. Its plays like this that infuriate and challenge me to work harder at earning a higher level game. What do you think happened in this situation?
I thought the call at the end was questionable. The time had nothing to do with it. Both players came together and because the Tennessee player fell back, the Baylor player got nailed. That said, the women announcers sitting around the desk blasting the officials are some of the worst commentators/analysts I've ever seen. They wanted to get fired up about it, but it just seemed so forced.

What push are you talking about? The only thing that happened before the call was a rebound on the missed layup. The Tennessee player had verticality -- she went straight up to rebound the ball and the inside Baylor player jumped back into her slightly as the Tennessee player missed the put back.

I focused on this part each time they showed the replay because Muffy or Gidget or Bambi or whatever the he!! the Baylor's coach's name is was standing there claiming the "over the back" that I think you are talking about. Nope. Uh uh.

In the end, Baylor left Tennessee hang in too long and then turned the ball over when they had a tie game and the last shot. Too bad for them.

--Rich