Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 15, 2004, 08:18pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
Originally posted by cmathews
Ok new question on all of this....Who wants to play Duke, Maryland, NC, NC State, Wake, or Georgia Tech, in the first round....come on hold up the hands, and pick one...I am a MWC fan, but anyone with a real objective, and sane view can see that the ACC is the best conference in the nation this year. Football has nothing to do with who is the best basketball conference...the fact that Duke lost as many games as they did in the last 10 is a testament to the fact that 2 schools are not carrying the conference.. I know it is kind of cheating now that we know 7-2...but I take the ACC against the tiny 10 this year and next and for the foreseeable future... but they better not come out to the MWC or they will get their a$$ kicked....wow....did I type that out loud???....
Thank you, my unbiased friend from Wyoming!
I am a Tennessee fan who will never see another good team.

I was as objective as I can be. I could've left the team out and just said #10 in the polls and #12 in the RPI along with the championship of a conference tournament. 8-2 in their last 10, including 7 in a row.

I do respect the ACC -- I have 2 teams coming out in my bracket, along with the national championship, although I'll be glad to lose my entries to see all of them lose.

--Rich

Old Mon Mar 15, 2004, 08:49pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
I am a Tennessee fan who will never see another good team.
But that's only in football, right!?!

"It's football time in Tennessee!"

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Mar 15, 2004, 09:46pm
Huck Finn

Hey Rich, what do you think about CJ Watson? He is from Vegas. He was a silent assasin in high school. I don't think I've ever heard him say one word anywhere! I think by the time he's a senior he will be a force.
Old Mon Mar 15, 2004, 10:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Mregor, we've already covered this ground. Go back and re-read the thread and you'll see why Wisconsin is a 6 seed.
I'm not going to read 4 pages of yours and Rut's little spat. I could hardly make it through the 1st page. Besides, there is no reasonable reason they should be a 6th seed. Its a conspiracy I tell you! Yeah, that's it, a conspiracy. I'm going to dig into this, I'll let you all know what I find out (right after I get another beverage).

Mregor
Old Mon Mar 15, 2004, 10:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mregor
Quote:
Mregor, we've already covered this ground. Go back and re-read the thread and you'll see why Wisconsin is a 6 seed.
I'm not going to read 4 pages of yours and Rut's little spat. I could hardly make it through the 1st page. Besides, there is no reasonable reason they should be a 6th seed. Its a conspiracy I tell you! Yeah, that's it, a conspiracy. I'm going to dig into this, I'll let you all know what I find out (right after I get another beverage).
Spat!?! This isn't close to being a "spat." You evidently haven't ever read some of mine and Rut's more "serious" discussions.

I'm ACC, always have been, good or bad. This year it's good. And Hawks Coach and I have been giving all the cryers and whiners all they want. And that's not limited to Rut!

As far as the first page, you evidently didn't read it, so I'll copy and paste for you!

Quote:
OSU ws hurt by the fact that they're game with Texas did not end until late in the afternoon. The Committee started buikding the brackets around 2:40. They could not possibly have waited until after the Big 10 and Big 12 games were completed before working the brackets. The Big 12 game didn't end until 5:35pm. The show was at 6:00. CBS has to receive the brackets in time to prepare their TV graphics and prepare their analysts. My guess is that CBS gets the brackets at least an hour before the show starts, maybe longer.

I bet we see a change next year, since the Chairman admitted such on live TV.
That's why Wisconsin and OSU didn't get the bids they deserved, straight from the first page!!

Old Mon Mar 15, 2004, 10:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Camron Rust

They set the time for what ever reasons. The conferences can set their tourney time earier if they want. That's basically what the NCAA has said. If the tourney's want their games to matter, the can move the games earlier.

Not quite - the tourney time is set by one thing and one thing only - the conference's contract with either ESPN or CBS. Neither network is going to want a game to end at 2, then have viewers turn the channel until the women's selection show at 5.
Old Mon Mar 15, 2004, 10:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Quote:
Originally posted by Camron Rust

They set the time for what ever reasons. The conferences can set their tourney time earier if they want. That's basically what the NCAA has said. If the tourney's want their games to matter, the can move the games earlier.

Not quite - the tourney time is set by one thing and one thing only - the conference's contract with either ESPN or CBS. Neither network is going to want a game to end at 2, then have viewers turn the channel until the women's selection show at 5.
Point is that the conferences know that the Selection Show is at 6pm. If they're really concerned about a late game affecting their teams seeding, then they'll have to put pressure on CBS to either move the Selection Show OR stand firm that they want their games played earlier. CBS is not going to lose those games. There will be a change next year, mark my words.

Old Mon Mar 15, 2004, 10:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Yes, the Big Ten was a better football conference than the ACC was this year. Who cares?
This year? Can you even think of a year when the ACC was better than the Big 10 in football?
Old Mon Mar 15, 2004, 11:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Ok new question on all of this....Who wants to play Duke, Maryland, NC, NC State, Wake, or Georgia Tech, in the first round....come on hold up the hands, and pick one...
Who wants to play Illinois, Wisconsin, Michigan State, Iowa or Michigan in the first round? Who would even want to play Northwestern??? They went 8-8 in league play. So the ACC has several good teams. The Big Ten does also.

Quote:

...the fact that Duke lost as many games as they did in the last 10 is a testament to the fact that 2 schools are not carrying the conference.
That is all good and well, but it is beside the point. The point is when you lose 4 out of you last 10 games you are not a number one seed.
Old Mon Mar 15, 2004, 11:44pm
Official Forum Member

I can't decide whether you sound like kids saying my Dad is better, stronger, or faster because (insert your posts here), or like NCAA football fans arguing over who is the NCAA Champion in D1 football (there isn't one). This is basketball, they play for the championship!!

Who cares where you are seeded? Regardless of your seed, you have to win 6 games to win the championship. If you think your team is seeded too low, just win some games and they will look great. If you think another team is seeded too high, your team still has to win 6 games.
Old Tue Mar 16, 2004, 12:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by LDUB

Who wants to play Illinois, Wisconsin, Michigan State, Iowa or Michigan in the first round? Who would even want to play Northwestern??? They went 8-8 in league play. So the ACC has several good teams. The Big Ten does also.
Ok give me a shot at this one.......I will take any one of the last 3...oh wait they aren't in..so actually they and Wyoming could schedule a game...and hey we beat Dayton damn it, and they got in, what is the committee thinking geeeeeeesh.....HEY....we beat Washington too....how in the name of basketball nets can the committee consider Stanford a number one, we beat the team that beat them.....wow we got jobbed........man oh man am I steamed now LOL

Quote:
[i] That is all good and well, but it is beside the point. The point is when you lose 4 out of you last 10 games you are not a number one seed. [/B]
Well I guess we need to post the bracket because um...oh wait let me check..yep....Duke is a #1 and they fit the criteria above....will wonders never cease....first Wyoming wins it all in '43 with Kenny Sailor, the so called inventor of the jump shot...and now Duke a #1 with such a lousy resume.....

[Edited by cmathews on Mar 15th, 2004 at 11:10 PM]
Old Tue Mar 16, 2004, 01:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:

Ok give me a shot at this one.......I will take any one of the last 3...oh wait they aren't in..so actually they and Wyoming could schedule a game...and hey we beat Dayton damn it, and they got in, what is the committee thinking geeeeeeesh.....HEY....we beat Washington too....how in the name of basketball nets can the committee consider Stanford a number one, we beat the team that beat them.....wow we got jobbed........man oh man am I steamed now LOL

The fact that thre of them are not in the tournament is exactly what I am trying to get across. They are good enough to have teams not want to play them. It means something when teams do not want to have to face the bad teams from your league.

I don't think Maryland should even be in the NCAA tournament. I know everyone will say they won the ACC so they are in. But the won the ACC tournament. Any middle of the road team with a little bit of luck will has a chance at winning a tournament. I'm not putting down the ACC for this. So many confrences have it this way, the Big Ten Included. I believe that the automatic bid should come from the season champion. That is where the better teams come out on top. We all know Duke is better than Maryland, so why does Maryland get the automaic bid?

This espicially hurts the small confrences. Everyone knows before their confrence tournament, that they will only get one team into the NCAA tournament. It should be the team that proved to be the best team durring the season should be getting into the NCAA tournament. Not the team which got lucky over the weekend.
Old Tue Mar 16, 2004, 09:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Any middle of the road team with a little bit of luck will has a chance at winning a tournament. I'm not putting down the ACC for this. So many confrences have it this way, the Big Ten Included. I believe that the automatic bid should come from the season champion. That is where the better teams come out on top . . . .

It should be the team that proved to be the best team durring the season should be getting into the NCAA tournament. Not the team which got lucky over the weekend.
Yeahbut . . .

Winning the NCAA tournament is often about getting lucky 6 games in a row over 3 consecutive weekends.

If you want to do away with tournaments, we'll just go by regular season records to declare a national champion - and we all know how well that goes over.
Old Tue Mar 16, 2004, 09:17am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

Luck has very little to do with winning 3 consecutive games over the #1, #2, and #3 seeds in your conference or 6 straight games to win the National Championship. Yeah, luck might help you win 1 game but not 3, 4, 5, or 6.

Old Tue Mar 16, 2004, 09:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Ok new question on all of this....Who wants to play Duke, Maryland, NC, NC State, Wake, or Georgia Tech, in the first round
Sorry, but this isn't a good argument. 1). no one is saying these teams arn't any good. 2) I could name many teams where you wouldn't see a show of hands to play in the first round. 3) the first round is earned for the best to play the worst, which by the way is what we are pointing out. 4) if you want to make that kind of analysis, a better question is; for the championship game, what other teams would you rather pass on playing, to play the teams you mentioned above.

Finally to Tony, just because the AD of a BIG TEN is the chair doesn't mean it wasn't fair. It just means the AD of the BIG TEN has NO nuts.