The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 07, 2004, 01:02am
Official Forum Member

To all:

Why this thread went on and digressed to the point it has is beyond me. The original thread was posted to guage other officials' "breaking point" concerning bad behavior.

First: Ref_in_Rehab responded to several of the ideas and made his own conclusion concerning how he would handle the situation in the future. He accepted the constructive criticism and is ready to apply his new-found knowledge and said so. This my friends should have been the end to the thread.

Mark: as moderator this is your responsibility.

Secondly: The concensus of the group is that the calling official needs to give signal, communicate with partners, report to table and Walk Away. One exception was tomegun who wants to call-em and explain-em. I am now speaking as a former evaluator and supervisor: no matter what you say to the irate coach to explain the call you can NEVER prove to anyone that you did not bait the coach into a second T and ultimate ejection. If you have a problem with your partner watching your back during a difficult situation as a threat to your "manliness" I would bet your communication to them in other situations is lacking. The reason we have partners is so we don't have to endure the stress alone. Watching your back protects you as well by deflecting the object of the coach's wrath elsewhere.

Thirdly: Both Mark and Tomegun have made personal attacks on the other. Luke Skywalker? Bleep don't stink? Namedropping? Still an active official? Nitpicking a comment? You both should be ashamed. Bob Jenkins (another moderator no less) tried to add some levity by saying Mark secretly wanted to be a hairdresser. A great line that was bypassed completely by both. By the way if the officials maintain dead ball efficiency the likelyhood of bad things happening diminishes greatly.

Finally: I will agree that this last point should also be a topic of a new thread. I don't know how many times I have read posts asking for rules citation/case book citations for a particular situation only to have all posts to the thread give their answer yet no citation. Why? If we all would reply with corresponding citations from our rulebook, casebook, officials manual, handbook for officials, then maybe we wouldn't feel so inferior like Tomegun feels to DeNucci thinking him to be pompous. Tomegun said he could probably work OK with DeNucci but I doubt it. My only defense for this statement is if they both resorted to personal slams in their posts to each other gives me no evidence the contrary would occur when face to face.

Flagrant T and both of you are out of here. (I wanted to put a winking smilely face here but not sure how to add icons yet)

[Edited by Daryl H. Long on Feb 7th, 2004 at 12:07 AM]
Old Sat Feb 07, 2004, 02:36am
In Memoriam

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally posted by Daryl H. Long
To all:

Why this thread went on and digressed to the point it has is beyond me. The original thread was posted to guage other officials' "breaking point" concerning bad behavior.

First: Ref_in_Rehab responded to several of the ideas and made his own conclusion concerning how he would handle the situation in the future. He accepted the constructive criticism and is ready to apply his new-found knowledge and said so. This my friends should have been the end to the thread.

Mark: as moderator this is your responsibility.

Secondly: The concensus of the group is that the calling official needs to give signal, communicate with partners, report to table and Walk Away. One exception was tomegun who wants to call-em and explain-em. I am now speaking as a former evaluator and supervisor: no matter what you say to the irate coach to explain the call you can NEVER prove to anyone that you did not bait the coach into a second T and ultimate ejection. If you have a problem with your partner watching your back during a difficult situation as a threat to your "manliness" I would bet your communication to them in other situations is lacking. The reason we have partners is so we don't have to endure the stress alone. Watching your back protects you as well by deflecting the object of the coach's wrath elsewhere.

Thirdly: Both Mark and Tomegun have made personal attacks on the other. Luke Skywalker? Bleep don't stink? Namedropping? Still an active official? Nitpicking a comment? You both should be ashamed. Bob Jenkins (another moderator no less) tried to add some levity by saying Mark secretly wanted to be a hairdresser. A great line that was bypassed completely by both. By the way if the officials maintain dead ball efficiency the likelyhood of bad things happening diminishes greatly.

Finally: I will agree that this last point should also be a topic of a new thread. I don't know how many times I have read posts asking for rules citation/case book citations for a particular situation only to have all posts to the thread give their answer yet no citation. Why? If we all would reply with corresponding citations from our rulebook, casebook, officials manual, handbook for officials, then maybe we wouldn't feel so inferior like Tomegun feels to DeNucci thinking him to be pompous. Tomegun said he could probably work OK with DeNucci but I doubt it. My only defense for this statement is if they both resorted to personal slams in their posts to each other gives me no evidence the contrary would occur when face to face.

Flagrant T and both of you are out of here. (I wanted to put a winking smilely face here but not sure how to add icons yet)

To Daryl:

Go preach to someone else. If people want to express their views, well, that's the whole idea of this forum.Who are you anyway to tell people what to post or not to post? Or to put it another way, why exactly do you think that your "opinion" should have any more credibility than any other poster?

Lighten up!! And please note that this isn't a personal attack. It's just my opinion that censoring this board is none of your business.
Old Sat Feb 07, 2004, 03:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
[/B]
To Daryl:

Go preach to someone else.
Lighten up!!
...censoring this board is none of your business. [/B][/QUOTE]

Sorry I usurped your authority as censor.
Old Sat Feb 07, 2004, 09:55am
Huck Finn

Just for the record, I could work with MTD. Whatever is said on this board is said due to our passion for the game. I can respect that. We all want to get plays right. Also I do not want to call em and explain em. In the heat of the moment I will keep my comments to a coach I just T'd short and sweet. I don't care enough about coaches to want to T them up or throw them out.

As far as MTD (shrug), if he was R we would do things his way and if I was R we would do things my way. Even though we "argue" about this I have a feeling we would both communicate well enough with a coach that this situation would either not arise or a coach would get so out of hand it would be a no-brainer.
Old Sat Feb 07, 2004, 11:12pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by tomegun
Just for the record, I could work with MTD. Whatever is said on this board is said due to our passion for the game. I can respect that. We all want to get plays right. Also I do not want to call em and explain em. In the heat of the moment I will keep my comments to a coach I just T'd short and sweet. I don't care enough about coaches to want to T them up or throw them out.

As far as MTD (shrug), if he was R we would do things his way and if I was R we would do things my way. Even though we "argue" about this I have a feeling we would both communicate well enough with a coach that this situation would either not arise or a coach would get so out of hand it would be a no-brainer.

tomegun:

I hate to disappoint you but if I am R we will not do it my way we will do it the correct way, the same as I expect that we will do it the correct way if you are the R.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sun Feb 08, 2004, 03:04am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigGref
Talking yeah

I got 2 things!

1. I'd toss 'em

2. I like pizza

That's all I got!

-----------------------------------------------------
Officiating is the only job were you are expected to be perfect the first time out, and improve from then on!
Old Sun Feb 08, 2004, 10:37am
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
[Btomegun:

I hate to disappoint you but if I am R we will not do it my way we will do it the correct way, the same as I expect that we will do it the correct way if you are the R.

MTD, Sr. [/B]
Where does it say in the rule book or the mechanics book what the right way is when it comes to this? If you show me in a rule/mechanics book what the calling officials partner is supposed to do after a T I stand corrected. I know for a fact that several officials do some of the unwritten things differently. If this is written down then I have no problem following what is in black and white. If it isn't then it is one of the unwritten ways different officials do different things. In my post I clearly stated that we could work through this and you still come back with this. Whatever. I would just like to know if it is in the rule book or the mechanic book. Ultimately, I want to do what is right if it is written down.