View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 04, 2004, 06:25pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally posted by Ref_in_Rehab
Boys varsity game, tied in overtime...clock winding down with the home team working for the last shot. I'm working T and the shot goes up from my primary, missed, but the defender slams into the still airborne shooter and knocks him to the groung...TWEET!, 2 shots with 2.6 seconds on the clock.

I turn around fully expecting to see the visiting coach approaching halfcourt with an angry look on his face, of course he is along with sharing his opinion of my call. I extend my hand in his direction and say "get back coach", report the foul and indicate 2 shots. He wants an explanation and I say "airborne shooter coach, your kid hit him hard" to which he responds "that's f-ing BS!" I calmly put my whistle in my mouth, blow it, and say give my mechanic and point toward the bench
This is close to a flagrant T from me. Good call though - it's definetely a T. Sounds like the shooter was fouled and the appropriate call was made. Of course he's not going to like it, in the dying seconds of the game. He went overboard and was dealt with.

Quote:
walking away to administer the FT's while he's throwing a few more choice words away from me as he's walking back to his bench. I'm at the far baseline from him while the home team sinks 3 or the 4, then inbounds from halfcourt, gets fouled and then makes 1 of 2 to go up by 4 points with 1.5 to go...game out of reach now.

From the my end of the court he's yelling to his stat person "make sure we have his name in the book, he's going to get it",
At this point, I have a flagrant technical foul. Threatening an official is a flagrant T. Even though a 2nd T would reseult in an ejection, a flagrant T is still warranted. I would never downgrade simply because it is his 2nd T.

However, where were your Ps during all of this? One of them (Or the other one could have gone over to the coach and tried to subdue the sitch.

The threat he made should be written down and submitted to the game mgmt or your local executive or however you would normally handle this. Possibly even a police report.

Quote:
etc. Then we have a dead ball with 0.1 sec left, and he's pointing at me saying "I'm going to find you later" .
Again, a flagrant T if not given one already. If he said a comment like this after the 2nd T, I would warn the administrator that the game may be forfeited if he keeps it up, and that the police will be called. Also, a full report for uttering a threat should be filed with the police.

But again, your Ps could have taken care of this. You took care of business at the beginning, so they should, or when it's apparent that they're not going to, you should take care of the rest of business.

Quote:
Obviously the thought of tossing him runs through my mind, but I'm a huge confrontation would've ensued, so I elect just to get the game over with and ignore the fool and we get out of the gym without any incident.

Here's my question... what would you guys (or ladies) do?

I got home shortly thereafter and called my commissioner to report the incident, stating that I didn't toss him, but he did make some threats and I wanted to make a formal complaint.
What did your commissioner say?

[Edited by JugglingReferee on Feb 4th, 2004 at 05:31 PM]