View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 04, 2004, 12:30am
Official Forum Member

Sharing a lesson learned

This coach's conduct is something that needs to be corralled ASAP. I agree that your partner should have assessed the 2nd T while you were administering the FTs.

There was another opportunity to give him the message when he openly made the threats. Again, your partner lacked the fortitude to assess the long overdue T.
================================================== ========
Personal Note:

We have a local coach who has a reputation for acting very similar to the coach in your situation. Three years ago, I witnessed him first-hand as a visiting coach in my first varsity game (as the Referee). My mentor worked this game with me as the U.

Throughout the game the visiting coach made the "nickel and dime" comments, i.e. "travel", "block", et al.

Fast-forward to end of game situation:

I should have T'd the visiting coach when he continued to "vent" while my partner administered the (double-bonus) FTs for a call he made w/ 7 secs remaining in the 2-pt game.

A1 makes first FT. The second FT bounced wide to my side, A2 rebounds and is fouled on the put-back. Coach loudly howls "terrible" call. My partner should have given him the "universal" stop sign, etc...

A2 makes both FT and home team goes on to win. Visiting coach is coming onto the court after me and berating me for the "Bullsh**" call. The game manager physically intervened to allow my partner and I to get out of the gym.

Regrettably, I did not file any documentation with either the police or the state association about this incident. Needless to say, I would have handled it differently today.

In hindsight, I was a relatively new official who did not have what it took (at that time) to take charge of that situation. It was a lesson learned the hard way, but I have had opportunities to "redeem" myself. Unfortunatedly, they were not with this same "coach." Maybe next year?