View Single Post
Old Tue Feb 03, 2004, 11:42pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Ref_in_Rehab
Boys varsity game, tied in overtime...clock winding down with the home team working for the last shot. I'm working T and the shot goes up from my primary, missed, but the defender slams into the still airborne shooter and knocks him to the groung...TWEET!, 2 shots with 2.6 seconds on the clock.

I turn around fully expecting to see the visiting coach approaching halfcourt with an angry look on his face, of course he is along with sharing his opinion of my call. I extend my hand in his direction and say "get back coach", report the foul and indicate 2 shots. He wants an explanation and I say "airborne shooter coach, your kid hit him hard" to which he responds "that's f-ing BS!" I calmly put my whistle in my mouth, blow it, and say give my mechanic and point toward the bench, walking away to administer the FT's while he's throwing a few more choice words away from me as he's walking back to his bench. I'm at the far baseline from him while the home team sinks 3 or the 4, then inbounds from halfcourt, gets fouled and then makes 1 of 2 to go up by 4 points with 1.5 to go...game out of reach now.

From the my end of the court he's yelling to his stat person "make sure we have his name in the book, he's going to get it", etc. Then we have a dead ball with 0.1 sec left, and he's pointing at me saying "I'm going to find you later" . Obviously the thought of tossing him runs through my mind, but I'm a huge confrontation would've ensued, so I elect just to get the game over with and ignore the fool and we get out of the gym without any incident.

Here's my question... what would you guys (or ladies) do?

I got home shortly thereafter and called my commissioner to report the incident, stating that I didn't toss him, but he did make some threats and I wanted to make a formal complaint.

1) If Coach V had just said: "That's B.S.!" Then I would have charged him with an unsportsmanlike conduct. But Coach V used an F-bomb, and that is a flagrant technical foul in my opinion, and Coach V should have been disqualified and ejected on a single flagrant technical foul.

2) Since you only charged him with a techncial foul for unsportsmanlike conduct, I would like to know what your partner was doing while Coach V was throwing more words at you on his way back to his team's bench. If Coach V was still running his mouth at you, then your partner should have been the "good cop" so to speak and explain to Coach V that if he doesn't cool down he is going to get his second technical foul from him and not you.

3) I am not sure where you are on the court in relation to Team V's bench when Coach V was yelling to his stat person, but if his remarks were meant to show you up, your partner needed to step up and take care of business with Coach V.

4) Dead ball with 0.1 sec and Coach V yells at you: "I am going to find you later!" That is a flagrant technical foul itself and either you or your partner, whoever was closer should have gave to him. The time on the clock has no bearing on the situtation. Coach V comments can be and should be interpreted as a threat of physical violence.

5) Coach V should have been tossed from the game. But his comments with respect to finding you later still need to be reported to the IdahoHSAA and you should have made a police report of it immediately after the game while still in the officials' dressing room. And I still would make a police report.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio