Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 29, 2003, 01:36pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Bart Tyson
This is probably a 10yr, one year official. Has no clue and anything you say to him won't do any good.
Not necessarily. There are a few old codgers out there who believe at the bottom of their crusty little hearts that women do not belong on the court. It sounds at least likely that nine01c's partner could belong in that category.
Old Mon Dec 29, 2003, 01:44pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
[/B]
There are a few old codgers out there who believe at the bottom of their crusty little hearts that women do not belong on the court.
[/B][/QUOTE]Belong on the court? Hell, I'm still ticked off that they let wimmen vote. And don't get me started about letting 'em have driver's licenses too!
Old Mon Dec 29, 2003, 02:16pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by nine01c
Everyone, thanks for your replies. The situation I had in the game was my partner on Trail three times shouted out to me NO,BLUE, OFF WHITE! (or vise versa) after I had just blown my whistle and come up strong with a WHITE! I felt confident that I had the calls (not originating from the Trail area), and I made no eye contact looking for help.Actually, I was wondering why he was even looking at the ball being tapped out on the endline. Anyway, I went with what he had so we wouldn't "argue."

Yuch. An approach for this type might be to just as loudly yell back "NO! I GOT IT! WHITE BALL!" and play on.

Nothing wrong with going to your partner quietly with new info, in fact it should be encouraged IMO. But to do it as it happened to you is not good.
Old Mon Dec 29, 2003, 03:09pm
Official Forum Member

He was a 24-28 year old "newish" maybe 3 year official. Nice enough guy and not a bad ref. Honestly, I don't think it was the female (me) thing at all. Believe me, I don't let anyone push me around, in basketball or baseball. He did inform me that he had played and coached for years, he KNOWS the game, and feels he should be getting a full boys varsity schedule next year. Actually, he needs the mens college game to keep him from getting so bored. These girls games, and even the boys games, are just TOO slow. However, he didn't always beat the girls to the endline, hmmm...

I didn't bother to tell him that PLAYING and COACHING for however long does NOT equate to REFFING experience. I figure he'll learn that on his own.

And JR: Beware; besides voting and driving (sometimes an ambulance) I also exercise my 2nd Amendment right and might forget I'm not Annie Oakley or something. Heck, I can call BINGO for a huge crowd (now THAT takes guts), and even cook something once in a while.
Old Mon Dec 29, 2003, 03:44pm
In Memoriam

Quote:

And JR: Beware; besides voting and driving (sometimes an ambulance) I also exercise my 2nd Amendment right and might forget I'm not Annie Oakley or something. Heck, I can call BINGO for a huge crowd (now THAT takes guts), and even cook something once in a while.
And if you want to, you can always fall back on the old faithful feminine trick.....

Maybe you shoulda tried that on Mr. 3yearknowseverythingref. Should wait 'til after the game though. Out on the court in front of the crowd is just maybe a teeny bit over the top.

[Edited by Jurassic Referee on Dec 29th, 2003 at 02:46 PM]
Old Mon Dec 29, 2003, 04:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
He was a 24-28 year old "newish" maybe 3 year official. Nice enough guy and not a bad ref. Honestly, I don't think it was the female (me) thing at all. Believe me, I don't let anyone push me around, in basketball or baseball. He did inform me that he had played and coached for years, he KNOWS the game, and feels he should be getting a full boys varsity schedule next year.
Yep, I was there. Yep, I Ref'd for 3 years, I was great. Then I went to my 1st camp. Talk about being HUMBLED.
Old Mon Dec 29, 2003, 05:20pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
He was a 24-28 year old "newish" maybe 3 year official. Nice enough guy and not a bad ref. Honestly, I don't think it was the female (me) thing at all. Believe me, I don't let anyone push me around, in basketball or baseball. He did inform me that he had played and coached for years, he KNOWS the game, and feels he should be getting a full boys varsity schedule next year. Actually, he needs the mens college game to keep him from getting so bored. These girls games, and even the boys games, are just TOO slow. However, he didn't always beat the girls to the endline, hmmm...

I didn't bother to tell him that PLAYING and COACHING for however long does NOT equate to REFFING experience. I figure he'll learn that on his own.

Okay, well, I'll put the "gender card" back in my hand, nd play it later when Jurassic gets too far out of hand. Meantime, I like Dan's suggestion. Fight fire with fire, or something.