View Single Post
Old Sat Dec 27, 2003, 08:33pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Re: use no whistle

Quote:
Originally posted by bigwhistle
If I am totally convinced that my partner was the only one in the arena who does not know that the ball was out of bounds off of a certain color, I will come to him/her with my hand up. There will be no whistle, as this will draw the attention of everyone in the building to me. If my partner has a reason for making the call the way he/she did, he/she will give me a stop sign. This tells me that he/she saw the play and has a reason for making the call that was made.

If I blow the whistle, my partner is somewhat forced to change the call. If I go and offer advice and then the call remains the same, it looks as if the crew is not working together.
Wow, I really like this. As the partner who usually needs more help, rather than the other way around, I appreciate your concern for "how it looks." The other thing I've had partners do is come out of the "huddle" nodding firmly, especially when I don't change my call. This gives a much better impression than the discouraged shake I've seen a time or two!