View Single Post
Old Mon Dec 29, 2003, 11:22am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by nine01c
Everyone, thanks for your replies. The situation I had in the game was my partner on Trail three times shouted out to me NO,BLUE, OFF WHITE! (or vise versa) after I had just blown my whistle and come up strong with a WHITE! I felt confident that I had the calls (not originating from the Trail area), and I made no eye contact looking for help.Actually, I was wondering why he was even looking at the ball being tapped out on the endline. Anyway, I went with what he had so we wouldn't "argue."

Unless my partner makes eye contact looking for help, I will let his call stand, even if I think I saw it differently. Chances are, he is right and it just looked different to me. In a VERY close game near the end, I will offer info if I am POSITIVE he is wrong, but the eye contact usually comes anyway. This guy unnecessarily put me in the position where I had to say OK and change my call (even though I thought I had it right), or say NO, I'M SURE, and stick with my call, in effect "overruling" him.
No way would I do this three times in a decent game, not to mention that this one was a FR girls game, final 68-14.
Give me a break. I think unsolicited "help" should be kept to a minimum (and I need a better pregame).
Nine01c -- It's probably too late to rehash it with him now, but the next time someone treats you this way -- and it is how someone treating YOU, and has nothing to do with basketball -- you need to gently but firmly let him know at the first opportunity that you are a big girl, and you can handle your own area. I'd say something at the first time out or end of period. Then if he does it again, after he yells like that, you run to him (as he SHOULD have done for you) and you say very quietly, "It's my call, but I want to hear what you saw" Then let him talk, and if he still doesn't back down (let's say you caved on the first one in this example), you say, "Thanks but it's my call and I'm sticking with white" Then you jog to the table and say, "Last touched by blue, white ball!" Grab the ball, dash back and get the ball into play. If he doesn't like it, tough.