The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 28, 2022, 02:25pm
Official Forum Member

Half Time

Team B has the possession arrow to begin the second half. Team A delays returning to the court by more than 2 and half minutes.

How should the officials handle this situation? Game Management? Resumption of Play Procedure? Immediate Team Technical?

What if Rule 2-12-1 was not performed? Did the timer notify the Referee at least 3 minutes before the beginning of the 2nd half? Thus was the team notified? Can we penalize If the team WAS NOT informed?
Old Mon Nov 28, 2022, 05:27pm
Official Forum Member

I'm going to assume you are talking NFHS, standard, non-televised game.

Resumption-of-play rule specifically says it's not for use if either team is not on the court to begin the second half.

According to the rules, provided the proper warnings were given by the officials per 2-12-1, rule 10-2-1-a says it's a team technical if more than one minute goes by without the team being ready to start. Then, if the team is ordered to come out but refuses, you can use rule 5-4-1 to cause a game forfeit.

If it went 2 1/2 minutes past the end of intermission, I would *hope* that one of the officials would have gone to Team A's locker room at some prior point to ensure they know the clock situation, then a judgment call could be made as to whether it's egregious enough to warrant that team technical (or if it's because the official didn't do his job to notify the team).

Some officials might expect them to be aware of the time and would be quick to pull the trigger on the technical. Practically speaking for me, it's "Team A! Ready to start, let's go!" and see how they respond.

Last edited by FlasherZ; Fri Dec 02, 2022 at 08:43am. Reason: Forgot the "10" on the tech citation.
Old Mon Nov 28, 2022, 06:03pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Citations ...

Nice nuanced answer FlasherZ.

2-12-1: Timer’s Duties The timer must: Note when each half is to start and must notify the referee more than three minutes before this time so the referee may notify the teams, or cause them to be notified, at least three minutes before the half is to start.

10-2-1-A: Team Technical: Allow the game to develop into an actionless contest, this includes the following and similar acts: When the clock is not running consuming a full minute through not being ready when it is time to start either half.

4-38: Resumption-Of-Play Procedure: The resumption-of-play procedure is used to prevent delay in putting the ball in play when a throw-in team does not make a thrower available or following a time-out or intermission (unless either team is not on the court to start the second half) as in 7-5-1 and 8-1-2. The procedure results in a violation instead of a technical foul for initial delay in specific situations.

After switching the alternating possession arrow and grabbing my jacket, my last words to the table before leaving the court to go to the locker room for halftime intermission are, "Be sure to notify the officials and both teams when there are three minutes remaining in halftime."
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Nov 30, 2022 at 02:32pm.
Old Mon Nov 28, 2022, 10:56pm
Official Forum Member

I'm not going to be running into anyone's locker room to implore them to come back out. I'll use the "cause them to be notified" clause and ask the game manager to do that. Or, if the facility uses a warning horn at three minutes (some places do a buzz-buzz-buzz to indicate three minutes left) and I know it can be heard in the locker rooms, that's good enough for me.

In 12 years, I've had a few teams sauntering out just as the clock strikes zero, and they've been ready to go within the one-minute grace period. I've never had a team that just failed to appear altogether and caused such an awkward delay where a T was necessary. Though in a few cases I've started pondering how that would go down.

In this case, assuming the crew has caused the teams to be notified properly and 2½ minutes go by, I wouldn't hesitate to assess the T. Because that's ridiculous. Start the half with the two FTs for B, then B's ball at Division Line, and the arrow is postponed as a result of the foul so B keeps it.
Old Tue Nov 29, 2022, 12:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
I'm not going to be running into anyone's locker room to implore them to come back out. I'll use the "cause them to be notified" clause and ask the game manager to do that. Or, if the facility uses a warning horn at three minutes (some places do a buzz-buzz-buzz to indicate three minutes left) and I know it can be heard in the locker rooms, that's good enough for me.

In 12 years, I've had a few teams sauntering out just as the clock strikes zero, and they've been ready to go within the one-minute grace period. I've never had a team that just failed to appear altogether and caused such an awkward delay where a T was necessary. Though in a few cases I've started pondering how that would go down.

In this case, assuming the crew has caused the teams to be notified properly and 2½ minutes go by, I wouldn't hesitate to assess the T. Because that's ridiculous. Start the half with the two FTs for B, then B's ball at Division Line, and the arrow is postponed as a result of the foul so B keeps it.
I agree. If I'm the R, I'll go to the table, ensure the arrow is flipped, and then tell the table person to warn everyone at 3 minutes left in halftime. If game management is taking me and my partner(s) back to the locker room, I'll ask them to give everyone a 3-minute reminder. What the teams do after that is on them.
Old Tue Nov 29, 2022, 10:21am
Esteemed Forum Member

First Things First ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoochy View Post
Team B has the possession arrow to begin the second half. Team A delays returning to the court by more than 2 and half minutes. How should the officials handle this situation?
Before doing anything else, the very first thing I would do is to ask the table if Team A was notified at least three minutes before the second half was to start.

What I might do next depends on that answer.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Nov 30, 2022 at 02:33pm.
Old Thu Dec 01, 2022, 09:47am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlasherZ View Post
if the team is ordered to come out but refuses, you can use rule 4-1 to cause a game forfeit.
Isn't 4-1 the definition of an airborne shooter??
Old Thu Dec 01, 2022, 10:21am
Official Forum Member

The rule says (paraphrased) it's a T if the team delays the start of the second half. It does NOT say "after being notified, delays the start..."

It's like an excess TO -- the official is supposed to notify the team that they have used their last TO, but even if they don't, it's still a T.

I agree we can / should be a bit more flexible on the definition of "full minute" if the team hasn't been notified, but it's still on the team.
Old Thu Dec 01, 2022, 12:41pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Flexible ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
The rule says it's a T if the team delays the start of the second half. It does NOT say "after being notified, delays the start...". It's like an excess TO -- the official is supposed to notify the team that they have used their last TO, but even if they don't, it's still a T. I agree we can / should be a bit more flexible on the definition of "full minute" if the team hasn't been notified, but it's still on the team.
Agree that two wrongs (no notification and delay start of second half; or no notification and excess timeout requested and granted) don't make a right.

I would be very embarrassed and my assigner would be very upset if I gave no notification and an excess timeout was requested and granted, but that wouldn't stop me from enforcing the excess timeout technical foul penalty.

On the other hand, if the table/officials didn't notify the team that there was three minutes left in halftime and the start of the second half was delayed, I might be more flexible in regarding enforcing penalties.

But that's just my personal opinion, not that of the NFHS.

Old Thu Dec 01, 2022, 05:21pm
Courageous When Prudent

When I came back to the court and I saw a team was missing, the first thing I did was go to somebody at the table or administration and asked them to go notify the team. Every single time.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old Fri Dec 02, 2022, 08:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
Isn't 4-1 the definition of an airborne shooter??
Gah.

5-4-1.

My bad - for whatever reason my phone was chopping off portions of sentences as I was trying to write that. Caught the other citation problem, thanks for pointing this one out, I'll fix it.
Old Fri Dec 02, 2022, 09:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
The rule says (paraphrased) it's a T if the team delays the start of the second half. It does NOT say "after being notified, delays the start..."

It's like an excess TO -- the official is supposed to notify the team that they have used their last TO, but even if they don't, it's still a T.

I agree we can / should be a bit more flexible on the definition of "full minute" if the team hasn't been notified, but it's still on the team.
I think we're all agreeing to some extent or another. The difference is probably in how we would handle it individually.

Some officials are going to be the super-strict, T-them-up-at-61-seconds types regardless of whether they were warned - the type of police officers who write you a ticket at 1 mph over while you're trying to get your obviously-in-labor wife to the hospital. And others are going to let it go unless it's clearly egregious and obvious there's gamesmanship going on, along with the whole range in the middle.

I tend to be in the latter camp, myself - but everyone is different.
Old Fri Dec 02, 2022, 05:24pm
Official Forum Member

If we were to start Ting up teams for this, the HT would never notify the VT
Old Fri Dec 16, 2022, 09:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpferee View Post
If we were to start Ting up teams for this, the HT would never notify the VT
Nope. It's still up to the coach to make sure his team is ready to play at the start of the second half. Not hard to have a manager or a bench player check the clock during halftime.

If the book says it's a T, it's a T. Do I try to give some (general) grace? Absolutely, I'm not a robot. But there's no way I'm going to apologize or feel guilty for following the rules.