The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 20, 2003, 12:50pm
Official Forum Member

Half time of a 7th grade girls game. Partner and I called about 25 fouls in the first half. Good calls, just sloppy play. My partner decides that we should meet with the coaches and ask if they want us to lighten up and let them play. Has anyone else heard of doing this or have you done it yourself? A half time meeting with coaches kind of took me by suprise. BTW, both coaches said to keep calling as we have been and that the girls have got learn the game. Both teams had the desire but not the talent.

Thanks, Stan
Old Mon Jan 20, 2003, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

The only meeting have at halftime is with my partner(s). We may talk about this type of thing, but never with the coaches.
Old Mon Jan 20, 2003, 12:58pm
Official Forum Member

I have told players and cpatains that it will be a long game, with lots of people fouling out if they dont clean it up...
Old Mon Jan 20, 2003, 01:54pm
Official Forum Member

For 7th and 8th grade (any higher and they should know better) I have no problem talking with a CIVIL coach (yes they are out there). These kids are learning the game and we are in a position to help them. I mention the the coach that I am seeing a lot of "over the back" or reach in fouls. I demonstrate what I see and what I need to see not to bang them with the foul.

Example: "Coach, I'm seeing a lot of top guarding, I need your players to keep their arms up when guarding to avoid these fouls."

I have had very good results using this approach and most coaches are appreciative for the demonstration. the fans are not there to watch a foul fest and neither do the kids. Help the kids, help the game.
Old Mon Jan 20, 2003, 01:58pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by SMcQueen
I mention the the coach that I am seeing a lot of "over the back" or reach in fouls. I demonstrate what I see and what I need to see not to bang them with the foul.

Example: "Coach, I'm seeing a lot of top guarding, I need your players to keep their arms up when guarding to avoid these fouls."
Please, please tell me that you're only using "over the back" as shorthand when you're posting, and you don't actually use that phrase when talking to the coach.

What the heck is "top guarding"? A "top guard" sounds like an accessory for a chastity belt.

Chuck
Old Mon Jan 20, 2003, 02:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I mention the the coach that I am seeing a lot of "over the back" or reach in fouls. "Coach, I'm seeing a lot of top guarding." I have had very good results using this approach and most coaches are appreciative for the demonstration.
Ouch! You're just killing the rest of us officials if you're actually using the terms, over the back, reach-in, and top guarding.

Coaches may appreciate the misinformation (you're reinforcing their myths), but we zebras don't!

Z
Old Mon Jan 20, 2003, 02:20pm
Official Forum Member

Whatever you guys, how many middle school coaches can explain verticality with out using over-the-back as reference. Give me a break and post something constructive
Old Mon Jan 20, 2003, 02:30pm
Official Forum Member

Wink Easy...

Quote:
Whatever you guys, how many middle school coaches can explain verticality with out using over-the-back as reference. Give me a break and post something constructive

I think that we are only trying to stay on the same page as far as terminology goes...
Old Mon Jan 20, 2003, 02:39pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Give me a break and post something constructive
Steve, "Don't use the term 'over the back' when talking to fans/players/coaches" is constructive. How many polished, accomplished officials use these terms? If it's not zero, I'd be amazed. Using the phrase 'over the back' is just lazy, and it does a disservice to yourself, the coach, and the officials that follow you. ("What do you mean, there's no such thing as 'over the back'? Steve McQueen did my game last night, and told me there was!")

And what the heck is "top guarding"? "Top Guard" sounds like a stain remover for a woman's blouse.

Chuck
Old Mon Jan 20, 2003, 03:05pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down Oooouch.

Don't ask the coaches how to call the game!

Let me ask you this, what would you do if one coach says "Yeah, lighten up." and the other says "What? No way; you're letting them get away with murder out there." Now what do you do?

Any change, which there will obviously be because you are in a different half, different situations, differnt energy level.... There will be changes in what gets called due tho these game changes but now you will look like you are preferring one coach or the other.

You set yourself up with a question like that.

Has anyone discussed their officiating style with a coach - one-on-one, away from the game? What were your results? Good experience? Improved your game? Compassion for coaches position? Bad experience?
Old Mon Jan 20, 2003, 03:07pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Stan
Half time of a 7th grade girls game. Partner and I called about 25 fouls in the first half. Good calls, just sloppy play. My partner decides that we should meet with the coaches and ask if they want us to lighten up and let them play. Has anyone else heard of doing this or have you done it yourself? A half time meeting with coaches kind of took me by suprise. BTW, both coaches said to keep calling as we have been and that the girls have got learn the game. Both teams had the desire but not the talent.

Thanks, Stan

My question to you is what is your reasoning for wanting a meeting with the coaches? I see no reason whatsoever, whether the coaches are burning your tuchuses or not burning your tuchuses about the officiating. There are very (and I do mean very) few reasons for initiating a meeting with one or both coaches and this is not one of them.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Jan 20, 2003, 03:18pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Oooouch.

Quote:
Originally posted by DownTownTonyBrown
Don't ask the coaches how to call the game!

Let me ask you this, what would you do if one coach says "Yeah, lighten up." and the other says "What? No way; you're letting them get away with murder out there." Now what do you do?
DTTB, Thanks, I doubt this will ever happen again but if it does I'll know what to say.

Stan
Old Mon Jan 20, 2003, 03:45pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
[/B]
What the heck is "top guarding"? A "top guard" sounds like an accessory for a chastity belt.
[/B][/QUOTE]Now that was funny!
Old Mon Jan 20, 2003, 04:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Maybe most can't. But those that hear you explain it correctly will get smarter. And those who do understand the correct terminology will immediately classify you as one who doesn't know the rules. Not the best way to move up the ladder.