The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Aug 21, 2012, 09:31am
Official Forum Member

half-time and bands

Help me out please. I am a new AD and have a disagreement between my band and the officials.
What is the NFHS rule for half-times and how much time the bands/cheerleaders can use?
Is this followed strictly or can it change state by state, conference by conference?

What if both the home and visiting band wish to perform? What is protocal? Can both perform at halftime, or is one before the game, etc, etc.

-I have no idea, I am a basketball ref and former basketball coach. I don't know the football rules but reading a bit posted here it looks like the rule is 12/3 but could be 17/3 if the state chooses? How strict are you with those times?

thanks
Old Tue Aug 21, 2012, 09:43am
Chain of Fools

There are no rules under the playing rules of football by the NFHS regarding bands or halftime activities. This is an administrative issue that may be addressed by your specific state association or local policy.

The only rules regarding halftime are the length which is a minimum of 10 minutes and a maximum of 20 minutes. I would say that the band needs to be off the field prior to the clock striking 0:00 as there is a mandatory 3:00 min. warm-up for players where the teams MUST be on the field or face penalty. The proper way to administer the halftime clock is the ECO places the halftime period on the clock, winds it down to 0:00, then places the 3:00 and runs that period down. If its necessary, take the full 20:00 but the additional 3:00 is for the teams so no, the band can't play those extra 3:00.

If both bands wish to perform, the band directors are going to have to get together to see how much time each can take and that includes getting both on and off the field.

There are those officials who would flag a home team for their band not clearing the field. I personally would caution against that action as there are schools out there where the band is as big or bigger than the game itself- in support, or in money. Those kids work hard too and their families often come just to see the show.

You, the principal, and the band director need to get together and work it out. It should not be left for the officials to correct your school's administrative problem.

Last edited by HLin NC; Tue Aug 21, 2012 at 09:48am.
Old Tue Aug 21, 2012, 09:50am
Official Forum Member

So that intermission before the 3:00 can be up to 20 minutes? Is that in the NFHS rule book?

My officials are saying 12:00 followed by 3:00. Are they wrong?
Old Tue Aug 21, 2012, 10:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oc View Post
So that intermission before the 3:00 can be up to 20 minutes? Is that in the NFHS rule book?

My officials are saying 12:00 followed by 3:00. Are they wrong?
It is in the rule book, Table 1-7:

State association adoptions:

"11. Determining the length of halftimes, provided
it is not less than 10 minutes and
not more than 20 minutes
. (3-1-5 NOTE
2)"

My state has set halftime for varsity games at 20 minutes. It is NOT up to home school AD's to change this, so if you don't like what the officials are telling you, then your option would be to ask the state.
Old Tue Aug 21, 2012, 10:46am
Chain of Fools

In our state, the home school sets the time between 10-20 minutes. I can't think of any we work that go below 15:00 for varsity games. Homecoming will pretty much guarantee the full 20:00.
Old Tue Aug 21, 2012, 11:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
It is in the rule book, Table 1-7:

State association adoptions:

"11. Determining the length of halftimes, provided
it is not less than 10 minutes and
not more than 20 minutes
. (3-1-5 NOTE
2)"

My state has set halftime for varsity games at 20 minutes. It is NOT up to home school AD's to change this, so if you don't like what the officials are telling you, then your option would be to ask the state.
It bears repeating: you need to ask your state high school association if they have a regulation for this.
Old Tue Aug 21, 2012, 02:13pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to MNBlue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastshire View Post
It bears repeating: you need to ask your state high school association if they have a regulation for this.
I wonder who you ask if you're in Japan like 'oc' is?

NFHS, NCAA, NAFA
"If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule?" Anton Chigurh - "No Country for Old Men"
Old Tue Aug 21, 2012, 05:26pm
Official & ***** Member

Our state mandates a 20-minute halftime, although it can be changed by mutual agreement of both coaches before the game begins.

If bands are not off the field by 20:00, the home team is penalized, even if the visitors went over their alloted time.

Personally, I have turned my back so as not to have to enforce this. All of our teams do their pre-half stretching/warmups in their respective end zones.
Old Tue Aug 21, 2012, 05:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT1 View Post
Our state mandates a 20-minute halftime, although it can be changed by mutual agreement of both coaches before the game begins.

If bands are not off the field by 20:00, the home team is penalized, even if the visitors went over their alloted time.

Personally, I have turned my back so as not to have to enforce this. All of our teams do their pre-half stretching/warmups in their respective end zones.
As an official who has watched his partners get into "awkward" conversations over petty issues, thank you for obeying the most important rule...
Rule #1: Don't be a d!¢k.
Old Tue Aug 21, 2012, 07:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Help me out please. I am a new AD and have a disagreement between my band and the officials.
What is the NFHS rule for half-times and how much time the bands/cheerleaders can use?
Is this followed strictly or can it change state by state, conference by conference?

What if both the home and visiting band wish to perform? What is protocal? Can both perform at halftime, or is one before the game, etc, etc.

-I have no idea, I am a basketball ref and former basketball coach. I don't know the football rules but reading a bit posted here it looks like the rule is 12/3 but could be 17/3 if the state chooses? How strict are you with those times?

thanks
As has been stated, the NFHS allows for at least 10 minutes and no more than 20. Call the assignor, explain the difficulty you're having and tell him how much time you plan to use for halftime for your games. He should then convey it to his crews.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue Aug 21, 2012, 10:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
What if both the home and visiting band wish to perform? What is protocol? Can both perform at halftime, or is one before the game, etc, etc.

-I have no idea, I am a basketball ref and former basketball coach. I don't know the football rules
Is there actually a basketball rule on this? What's the penalty, loss of instrument?
Old Wed Aug 22, 2012, 07:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBlue View Post
Prefecture high school association.
Old Wed Aug 22, 2012, 08:21am
Official Forum Member

In WV, halftime is 20 minutes but can be shortened if everyone is ready to play. After the 20 mins has expired you put 3 back on the clock for the warm up period. IF you turn the clock off because everyone is ready, then you still ahve to put 3 minutes back on the clock for the warmup. Tell the bands that they have to be done with in 20 minutes.
Old Wed Aug 22, 2012, 05:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman View Post
Is there actually a basketball rule on this? What's the penalty, loss of instrument?
Musical instruments and noisemakers are not allowed. Music, whether live or recorded, can only be played during timeouts or intermission.

Yes, there's a rule.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Aug 22, 2012, 06:10pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBlue View Post
There's likely an equivalent to the state associations we all deal with; likely through the DoD or some other governing body. They're playing football and using Fed rules, so I assume it's a US system at some level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
Musical instruments and noisemakers are not allowed. Music, whether live or recorded, can only be played during timeouts or intermission.

Yes, there's a rule.
Yep, but it's something we'd simply tell the game management to put a stop to. There's at least one school locally that likes to play half time music right up until we hand the ball to the thrower. I didn't realize that, and just stood there an extra few seconds waiting for the music to stop until I finally told them to kill it. They looked a bit miffed that I changed their really cool routine.