The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 26, 2022, 02:27pm
Official Forum Member

Michigan State v Purdue

End of the game. Why did Purdue inbound the ball on the far sideline? Prior, Michigan State threw a bad inbound pass to the corner (table side) where a Michigan State player stepped on the endline before touching the ball.
Is NCAA-M rules different than NFHS? Per NFHS, wouldn't the new throw-in would be where the player that was out of bounds when he touched the ball? It was a legal touch even though he was out of bounds
Old Sat Feb 26, 2022, 02:47pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Ancient Times ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoochy View Post
Per NFHS, wouldn't the new throw-in would be where the player that was out of bounds when he touched the ball?
Not to hijack this thread, but for background information, in ancient times this was a NFHS throwin violation (thrower must release the ball on a pass directly into the court). Ancient casebook plays (written in hieroglyphs) indicated that the ball goes back to non-inbounding team at original throwin spot, no matter who touched the ball out of bounds.

We have some local grizzled high school veteran officials who will still occasionally kick this call.

Not many, most guys (and it was only guys back then) who knew the ancient rule are either retired, or dead.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Feb 26, 2022 at 05:57pm.
Old Sat Feb 26, 2022, 03:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Not to hijack this thread, but for background information, in ancient times this was a NFHS throwin violation. Ball goes back to non-inbounding team at original throwin spot, no matter who touched the ball out of bounds.

We have some local grizzled high school veteran officials who will occasionally kick this call.

Not many, most guys (and it was only guys back then) who knew the ancient rule are either retired, or dead.
I know things change. I asked a throw-in question back in November 2006 an at that time the ball was brought back to the original spot for a throw-in.
https://forum.officiating.com/basket...ere-throw.html

So is the NCAA-M rule written that way? Because that was the procedure that was used in this game
Old Sat Feb 26, 2022, 03:27pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Not Ancient, But Antique ...

Quote:
Nice antique thread Zoochy. Thanks.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Sat Feb 26, 2022, 05:17pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Changes (David Bowie, 1971) ...

Quote:
... November 2006 and at that time the ball was brought back to the original spot for a throw-in ...
NFHS: So when did the subsequent throwin change to the spot nearest the out of bounds violation?

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Feb 26, 2022 at 05:27pm.
Old Sat Feb 26, 2022, 05:35pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Notice The Coach Has A Seatbelt Rule ...

Quote:
Ancient casebook plays (written in hieroglyphs) indicated that the ball goes back to non-inbounding team at original throwin spot, no matter who touched the ball out of bounds.
From ancient NFHS High School Basketball Rules Simplified and Illustrated.

Official on the left, with the wings, is Mark T. DeNucci, Sr., reminding a coach that he has to be seated.

Players on right are Skins and Shirts.

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Feb 26, 2022 at 07:30pm.
Old Sun Feb 27, 2022, 03:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Not to hijack this thread, but for background information, in ancient times this was a NFHS throwin violation (thrower must release the ball on a pass directly into the court). Ancient casebook plays (written in hieroglyphs) indicated that the ball goes back to non-inbounding team at original throwin spot, no matter who touched the ball out of bounds.

We have some local grizzled high school veteran officials who will still occasionally kick this call.

If I recall correctly, the old rule was out of bounds at the spot where the ball was touched by the non-throwing player, but the NFHS messed up an unannounced editorial change about fifteen years ago that sent the ball back to the original throw-in spot. That ruling only lasted a couple of seasons and then returned to as it was before.
Old Sun Feb 27, 2022, 10:10am
Esteemed Forum Member

"A Long Time Ago In A Galaxy Far, Far Away" ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
If I recall correctly, the old rule was out of bounds at the spot where the ball was touched by the non-throwing player, but the NFHS messed up an unannounced editorial change about fifteen years ago that sent the ball back to the original throw-in spot. That ruling only lasted a couple of seasons and then returned to as it was before.
I'm talking about forty years ago. Fifteen years ago is an antique. Forty years ago is ancient.

Quote:
...most guys (and it was only guys back then) who knew the ancient rule are either retired, or dead.

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Feb 27, 2022 at 11:26am.
Old Sun Feb 27, 2022, 11:48am
Official Forum Member

OK OK OK..... enough of the history of NFHS rules
What is the NCAA-M procedure if the player is OOB when they touch the inbounds pass?
Is this a THROW-IN violation and the ball goes back to the original spot? Or is this a player violation and the Throw-in spot is where the OOB player touched the ball? Or does NCAA-M go to a preassigned location for this type of OOB violation?
After reviewing the play, the 3 college officials went back to the original location.
Old Sun Feb 27, 2022, 12:04pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Enquiring Minds Want To Know ...

Quote:
... enough of the history of NFHS rules ...
Just giving a possible reason for the confusion.

Quote:
What is the NCAA-M procedure if the player is OOB when they touch the inbounds pass?
I would also like to know.

Old Sun Feb 27, 2022, 04:15pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:

Is this a THROW-IN violation and the ball goes back to the original spot? Or is this a player violation and the Throw-in spot is where the OOB player touched the ball? Or does NCAA-M go to a preassigned location for this type of OOB violation?

After reviewing the play, the 3 college officials went back to the original location.
The situation described does not fall under any of the articles under Rule 9 Section 4, which is throw-in violations. Therefore, I would have had the throw-in be at the new spot.

I have not found anything directly on-point in either the rulebook or the case book.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old Sun Feb 27, 2022, 04:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
The situation described does not fall under any of the articles under Rule 9 Section 4, which is throw-in violations. Therefore, I would have had the throw-in be at the new spot.

I have not found anything directly on-point in either the rulebook or the case book.
So the crew probably just didn’t know the correct ruling. This is an uncommon out of bounds violation, so the normal official who doesn’t put a lot of effort into the details of the rules would be apt to make a mistake here.
Old Sun Feb 27, 2022, 05:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
One way to help think about this scenario is to imagine if the touch were by either A or B.

If B3 were to touch the throw-in while being OOB, would you give the ball to A or B? Of course, it would be A's ball. Since you're giving the all to team A, that means the violation was on B1. Where did B3 violate? Where B3 touched the ball.

Now, if you were to replace B3 with A3, shouldn't the result be the same....at the spot of the violation? And that would be where A3 touches the ball (while OOB).
Old Sun Feb 27, 2022, 05:47pm
Esteemed Forum Member

It's True, It's True ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
If B3 were to touch the throw-in while being OOB, would you give the ball to A or B?
Back in the 1980's, in a high school game, it would be B's ball back at the original throwin spot, and, of course, Coach A always went bonkers. The "left-over stench" of this old rule is the reason why this situation seems more confusing than it should be. Observed one of our best, very experienced, grizzled officials (outstanding real game knowledge and a great rules guy), after the rule was changed, recently bring the ball back to the original throwin spot (for this very exact situation) in a state tournament quarterfinal game. Thank God he gave the ball to the "right" team, just the wrong spot. Nobody spotted it except me.

I have always stated that for experienced veterans, it's not the rules that are a problem, it's the rule changes that are a problem.

Now what's the new team control foul signal? And how do we now signal a held ball?

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Feb 27, 2022 at 05:59pm.
Old Sun Feb 27, 2022, 05:56pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Rule Changes ...

Quote:
I have always stated that for experienced veterans, it's not the rules that are a problem, it's the rule changes that are a problem.
This is my favorite, moving into the lane to rebound a free throw. Got to be a world record for basketball back-and-forth rule changes.

1970-71: Hits.
1981: Releases.
1993: Hits.
1996-97: Releases.
1997-98: Hits.
2014-15: Releases.

Can't remember what we did back in high school (late 1960's)?

Surprisingly, don't know why, it was very easy to adjust to each time it changed.