The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Mar 12, 2016, 01:12pm
Official Forum Member

Goaltending: Michigan v Purdue

17:18 of the 1st half.
I don't believe that the entire ball is above the level of the ring when the C whistles for GT.
Old Sat Mar 12, 2016, 01:14pm
Official Forum Member

Just to show how difficult GT/BI decisions are, I'll also request video of the non-GT call during the 2nd OT of the Cinci/UConn game from yesterday.
Was the ball on the way down when touched? Tough to tell.
Old Sat Mar 12, 2016, 01:45pm
Courageous When Prudent

GT/BI are my toughest calls.
Old Sat Mar 12, 2016, 01:52pm
Get away from me, Steve.

GT/BI is tough, but I saw an interview in Referee where someone finally agreed with what I think are really the toughest calls -- out of bounds plays.
Old Sat Mar 12, 2016, 02:14pm
Official Forum Member

Maybe it's the game clock. Now a possible offensive one at 17:19 of the 2nd half.
Old Sat Mar 12, 2016, 02:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
GT/BI is tough, but I saw an interview in Referee where someone finally agreed with what I think are really the toughest calls -- out of bounds plays.
I seriously hope that you are kidding.
The VAST majority of OOB plays are clear and simple. Occasionally there is a tough one.

GT/BI are frequently difficult situations which happen quickly, up high, and at a distance from the calling official(s).
Old Sat Mar 12, 2016, 02:42pm
Get away from me, Steve.

I'm not kidding. Why would I be?

GT/BI happen infrequently, even at the highest levels. There's a couple of tough out of bounds calls every game.

What tends to bail out the crew on these tough ones is that nobody can definitively say one way or another whether the official is right.
Old Sat Mar 12, 2016, 03:11pm
Esteemed Forum Member

If I Had A Nickel For Every Time ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
GT/BI are my toughest calls.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
... interview in Referee where someone finally agreed with what I think are really the toughest calls -- out of bounds plays.
Block/charge can be tough for some, but I'm pretty good at it, always anticipating the play, not the call, and watching the defender. An unexpected out of bounds play can be tough, especially in a two person game, but I'm always willing to ask for help from my partner, receive help from my partner, of offer help to my partner (it's in every one of my pregame conferences). Goaltending is tougher for me than basket interference. But my Achilles heel is traveling, not at at the start of the dribble (easy peasey lemon squeezy), but at the end of dribble, when dribbler comes to an odd jump stop transitioning into the act of shooting.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Mar 12, 2016, 03:57pm
Official Forum Member

video added

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
I don't believe that the entire ball is above the level of the ring when the C whistles for GT.
Quote:
Maybe it's the game clock. Now a possible offensive one at 17:19 of the 2nd half.

Both plays, same clip...

"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Sat Mar 12, 2016, 04:43pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks. I believe that both calls were missed. The first was an ICC and the second was an INC.
Old Sat Mar 12, 2016, 05:57pm
Official Forum Member

The first was not GT because the entire ball must be above the level of the rim to have GT.

The first was BI (not GT). It can't be GT because, in college, only the defense can commit GT and the ball was in the cylinder, so it was BI.
Old Sat Mar 12, 2016, 06:57pm
beware big brother

Quote:
Bold part is irrelevant in NCAAM, any part of the ball above the rim is sufficient to have goaltending.
Old Sat Mar 12, 2016, 07:01pm
beware big brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
The first was not GT because the entire ball must be above the level of the rim to have GT.

The first was BI (not GT). It can't be GT because, in college, only the defense can commit GT and the ball was in the cylinder, so it was BI.
Incorrect on both accounts for the first play. The rule is as follows: When the ball contacts the backboard and any part of the ball is above the rim during a field goal attempt, it is considered to be on its downward flight. In such a case, it is goaltending when the ball is touched by a player as long as it has the possibility of entering the basket.

The only way you can argue no goaltending on this play is if you think there is no chance for the ball to enter the basket.
Old Sun Mar 13, 2016, 01:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny d View Post
Incorrect on both accounts for the first play. The rule is as follows: When the ball contacts the backboard and any part of the ball is above the rim during a field goal attempt, it is considered to be on its downward flight. In such a case, it is goaltending when the ball is touched by a player as long as it has the possibility of entering the basket.

The only way you can argue no goaltending on this play is if you think there is no chance for the ball to enter the basket.
You are correct. It appears they changed the rule in the last couple of years and I missed that.

The prior rule said: "When the entire ball is above the level of the ring during a field-goal try and contacts the backboard, it is considered to be on its downward flight".

The current rule says: "When the ball contacts the backboard and any part of the ball is above the rim during a field goal attempt, it is considered to be on
its downward flight."

Last edited by Camron Rust; Sun Mar 13, 2016 at 02:32am.