The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Volleyball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Oct 12, 2008, 12:36pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Purdue @ Michigan, R2

Great match going on, and I'm watching on ESPN2. One very basic question. I was told that at the end of a rally, the R2 moves to the side of the net of the team that just won the rally to mirror the R1's end-of-rally signals. But I'm noticing that the R2 in this match is going to the losing team's side of the net. I'm guessing that she's doing it correctly, but would somebody confirm this for me?
Old Sun Oct 12, 2008, 07:04pm
Resident VB Rules Guru

Send a message via AIM to MCBear Send a message via MSN to MCBear Send a message via Yahoo to MCBear Send a message via Skype™ to MCBear
Scrapper, that is a mechanic that we are instructed to use for USAV. At the end of a rally, the R2 steps to the side of the team that has committed the fault so that the LOR signal (point signal) is always directed toward the post/centerline. USAV recommends this mechanic for all of us who work that rules set as an R2. NCAA actually has no preference as to which side of the post the R2 mirrors the R1's LOR signal, only that it happen and look very smooth with your partner. However, with that being said, we try to get to the side that will be our receiving team to mirror the signals with our partner.
CIF State Volleyball State Championships Referee (2005), Scorekeeper (2006-2007) & Libero Tracker (2010)
PAVO State Referee (2014) / PAVO Certified Scorekeeper (2014) / PAVO Certified Line Judge (2012)
USAV Junior National Referee (resigned 2013) / USAV National Scorekeeper (2014)
Old Sun Oct 12, 2008, 07:33pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCBear View Post
However, with that being said, we try to get to the side that will be our receiving team to mirror the signals with our partner.
Ok, I actually like that better! If I move to the side of the team that won the rally, I just have to move to the opposite side for the next serve anyway. Just seems more efficient to be over there to begin with. Thanks for the info.