The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 30, 2022, 11:39am
Esteemed Forum Member

Twenty-Three Year Old Interpretation ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyu2 View Post
Many times officials will rule in favor of the coach, saying the “request” was made when there was player control ... If the coach doesn’t understand by rule we must first be certain of the status of the ball (PC) before granting his time out request, that is his problem not ours. Locate the ball. Then make your decision. PC, yes? Whistle, grant time out. No PC? No whistle. No time out.
Agree with billyu2's well worded post, as do points of emphasis (with fuzzy wording similar to the actual fuzzy language of the actual rule) published over six different years.

However a twenty-three year old interpretation seems, at first glance, to disagree with both of us.

1998-99 NFHS Basketball Rules Interpretations: Situation 8: A1 is dribbling the ball in the frontcourt. The ball bounces off his leg into the backcourt. As A1 goes into backcourt to retrieve the ball, the head coach requests a time-out. Can the time-out request by the head coach be granted by the officials? Ruling: No. Team must be in player control when the verbal or visual request is made by the head coach and recognized by the official. (5-8-3a)

However, the phrase "and recognized by the official" can also be considered slightly fuzzy language.

Quote:
The principle here is not any different than ruling on the release of a last-second shot. Would any official whistle the ball dead without accurate knowledge of the location of the ball? Locate the ball. Ball touching hand? Whistle, no shot. Ball in flight? No whistle.
Appreciate the effort from billyu2, but this is not an analogous situation. We can keep our "eye on the ball" 100% of the time while we listen for the horn at the same time. Also, there's no fuzzy language regarding a shot at the buzzer, it's pretty much straight forward.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Jan 30, 2022 at 01:32pm.
Old Sun Jan 30, 2022, 09:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Agree with billyu2's well worded post, as do points of emphasis (with fuzzy wording similar to the actual fuzzy language of the actual rule) published over six different years.

However a twenty-three year old interpretation seems, at first glance, to disagree with both of us.

1998-99 NFHS Basketball Rules Interpretations: Situation 8: A1 is dribbling the ball in the frontcourt. The ball bounces off his leg into the backcourt. As A1 goes into backcourt to retrieve the ball, the head coach requests a time-out. Can the time-out request by the head coach be granted by the officials? Ruling: No. Team must be in player control when the verbal or visual request is made by the head coach and recognized by the official. (5-8-3a)

However, the phrase "and recognized by the official" can also be considered slightly fuzzy language.

Appreciate the effort from billyu2, but this is not an analogous situation. We can keep our "eye on the ball" 100% of the time while we listen for the horn at the same time. Also, there's no fuzzy language regarding a shot at the buzzer, it's pretty much straight forward.
Actually, I never said the situations were comparable. I said it is the principle of being absolutely sure of the location of the ball that is imperative in both situations.

Last edited by billyu2; Sun Jan 30, 2022 at 09:58pm.
Old Mon Jan 31, 2022, 10:33am
Esteemed Forum Member

Absolutely Sure ...

Quote:
... being absolutely sure of the location of the ball that is imperative in both situations.
Agree.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Mon Jan 31, 2022, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
White requested the TO when white had the ball, you acknowledged it when white had the ball, you blew the whistle. A little bit slow on the whistle doesn't change the fact that you heard it and decided to grant it when white had the ball. White timeout, white ball.
This.

It will require an emphatic call and bit of salesmanship, but if you KNOW white asked for the TO when white had the ball, you should grant the TO.
Old Mon Jan 31, 2022, 12:05pm
Esteemed Forum Member

When In Rome ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechanicGuy View Post
... if you KNOW white asked for the TO when white had the ball, you should grant the TO.
Well stated, many may agree with you, it may be 100% NFHS correct, but it's still based on fuzzy rule language, no matter which side one takes.

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Jan 31, 2022 at 01:36pm.
Old Mon Jan 31, 2022, 02:40pm
Official Forum Member

When in doubt, I default to not granting a timeout request. It's easier to explain that I was not sure whether the requesting team had control than to explain that "White had control at the time of the request, but lost it to Blue before I could blow my whistle." It takes time to confirm that there is a request, that the requester is valid (player or head coach of the requesting team), and that the team requesting the timeout has player control. By the time I confirm all those things, the situation could have changed, and the timeout request could no longer be legally granted.
Old Mon Jan 31, 2022, 07:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
This.

It will require an emphatic call and bit of salesmanship, but if you KNOW white asked for the TO when white had the ball, you should grant the TO.
You would be better off if you KNOW white is asking for a TO and you see white HAS the ball, then grant the TO. No salesmanship required.

Last edited by billyu2; Mon Jan 31, 2022 at 09:31pm.
Old Wed Feb 02, 2022, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You would be better off if you KNOW white is asking for a TO and you see white HAS the ball, then grant the TO. No salesmanship required.
If there is brief player control, and the opposing coach doesn't hear the request, you are going need to sell the call.
Old Wed Feb 02, 2022, 10:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If there is brief player control, and the opposing coach doesn't hear the request, you are going need to sell the call.
I’m not sure if anyone cares if the opposing coach hears the request or not but I guess if you feel you need to use some theatrics then go ahead.