The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 29, 2022, 01:25pm
Official Forum Member

how long set for legal screen

on moving player within his vision in college? I used to think it was at least a step, now seems like it says basically reasonable distance. what is that? how do you judge that these days? just curious , see it called a lot in college and wonder specifically what the rule is. If in the casebook, I missed it. I know it is more than what is needed for a block/charge player, but how much more?Thanks,
Old Sat Jan 29, 2022, 02:14pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Screens ...

Edit: thedewed: I just realized that you asked for college. This is for NFHS. Ignore if not helpful. Some of the college guys will be along shortly.

Rule 4 - Section 40 - Screen
ART. 1 A screen is legal action by a player who, without causing contact, delays or prevents an opponent from reaching a desired position.
ART. 2 To establish a legal screening position:
a. The screener may face any direction.
b. Time and distance are relevant.
c. The screener must be stationary, except when both the screener and opponent are moving in the same path and the same direction.
d. The screener must stay within his/her vertical plane with a stance approximately shoulder width apart.
ART. 3 When screening a stationary opponent from the front or side (within the visual field), the screener may be anywhere short of contact.
ART. 4 When screening a stationary opponent from behind (outside the visual field), the screener must allow the opponent one normal step backward without contact.
ART. 5 When screening a moving opponent, the screener must allow the opponent time and distance to avoid contact by stopping or changing direction. The speed of the player to be screened will determine where the screener may take his/her stationary position. The position will vary and may be one to two normal steps or strides from the opponent.
ART. 6 When screening an opponent who is moving in the same path and direction as the screener, the player behind is responsible if contact is made because the player in front slows up or stops and the player behind overruns his/her opponent.
ART. 7 A player who is screened within his/her visual field is expected to avoid contact by going around the screener. In cases of screens outside the visual field, the opponent may make inadvertent contact with the screener and if the opponent is running rapidly, the contact may be severe. Such a case is to be ruled as incidental contact provided the opponent stops or attempts to stop on contact and moves around the screen, and provided the screener is not displaced if he/she has the ball.
ART. 8 A player may not use the arms, hands, hips or shoulders to force his/her way through a screen or to hold the screener and then push the screener aside in order to maintain a guarding position on an opponent.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Jan 29, 2022 at 02:23pm.
Old Sat Jan 29, 2022, 02:28pm
Official Forum Member

thanks yeah that is what I remember but I guess college is even more general. I guess I'm thinking it is called more strictly than actually written in college. I suppose a reasonable read is similar to high school. thanks for info
Old Sun Jan 30, 2022, 08:45am
Official Forum Member

Yes, it's more generic: A player shall not ... Take a position so close to a moving opponent that this opponent cannot avoid contact by stopping or changing direction.

Practically, it's about the same
Old Sun Jan 30, 2022, 08:54am
Official Forum Member

with no casebook to illuminate. bizarre it isnt more concise. no surprise there is such variability on when it is called. The NBA 2 minute reviews has examples every once in a wjile that are helpful and actually seem more forgiving than college. thanks
Old Sun Jan 30, 2022, 09:21am
Courageous When Prudent

NCAA-Men's guidelines:

Section 2. Screening

A screen is legal action by any player with or without the ball, which, without causing contact, delays or prevents an opponent from reaching a desired position. A screener must be inbounds and maintain a normal stance with the inside of the screener's feet no wider than shoulder width apart. If a player is engaged in illegal screening tactics and there is no contact with the opponent, no foul has occurred. Players must adhere to the screening rules outlined in Rule 4-35.

A foul shall be called when:

1. A defensive player is held or pushed off of his intended path around a screen by use of the arms, legs or body.

2. A defensive player holds or pushes through the screen using the arms, legs or body.

3. The screener extends the hips or buttocks to displace the defender who is attempting to move around the screen.

4. The screener extends the legs beyond legal width and trips a defender who is attempting to move around the screen.

5. The screener sets a “blind” screen (outside the visual field) on a stationary defender that doesn’t allow the defender a normal step to move.

6. The screener sets a “blind” screen (outside the visual field) on a moving defender and doesn’t allow ample time to stop or change directions; usually one to two strides.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old Sun Jan 30, 2022, 09:23am
Official Forum Member

Here are a couple of NCAA videos. The men's video specifically includes the words "oone steP" in the first example.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EEqM9ekOM4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3lpmyQWsyg

The NCAAW rule book also includes the phrase "usually one or two strides" when discussing screens in the "guidelines" appendix.

Last edited by bob jenkins; Sun Jan 30, 2022 at 09:26am.
Old Sun Jan 30, 2022, 09:25am
Courageous When Prudent

NCAA-Men's rule 4-35

Art. 3. A player shall not:
a. Cause contact by setting a screen outside the visual field of a stationary opponent that does not allow this opponent a normal step to move.

b. Make contact with the opponent when setting a screen within the visual field of that opponent.

c. Take a position so close to a moving opponent that this opponent cannot avoid contact by stopping or changing direction.

Old Wed Feb 02, 2022, 07:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
NCAA-Men's guidelines:

Section 2. Screening

A screen is legal action by any player with or without the ball, which, without causing contact, delays or prevents an opponent from reaching a desired position. A screener must be inbounds and maintain a normal stance with the inside of the screener's feet no wider than shoulder width apart. If a player is engaged in illegal screening tactics and there is no contact with the opponent, no foul has occurred. Players must adhere to the screening rules outlined in Rule 4-35.

A foul shall be called when:

1. A defensive player is held or pushed off of his intended path around a screen by use of the arms, legs or body.

2. A defensive player holds or pushes through the screen using the arms, legs or body.

3. The screener extends the hips or buttocks to displace the defender who is attempting to move around the screen.

4. The screener extends the legs beyond legal width and trips a defender who is attempting to move around the screen.

5. The screener sets a “blind” screen (outside the visual field) on a stationary defender that doesn’t allow the defender a normal step to move.

6. The screener sets a “blind” screen (outside the visual field) on a moving defender and doesn’t allow ample time to stop or change directions; usually one to two strides.

thanks, all this info from everyone is great. On balance I feel like I see more illegal screen calls in situations where the defender is moving, the screener is not blind, and he gives more than a step. In other words, it seems like I see it called wrong more often than an illegal one allowed with no whistle.

It also seems like the language is a little sloppy in that if you need to give a step or 2 for a blind screen, doesn't that imply that something less than that, whatever that would be, must be given in the case of a seen screen on a moving defender.

I also think that it makes sense that at least a step must be given on all screens on moving players if they are supposed to have a reasonable opportunity to avoid contact, because if the defender is in mid-step, i.e. less than a full step, it is very difficult if not impossible to change direction at that point.

Thanks all, interesting info. JD Collins, blast from the past, must have retired a decade or so ago? Used to see him do quite a few games I watched.
Old Thu Feb 03, 2022, 11:45am
Official Forum Member

Difficulty with illegal screen calls as official watching the game is that you don't know why the screen was called illegal. It could have been distance. Did official think player was too wide? PUshing? Arms extended outside frame? Should player have been able to see it be official judged that not where they were looking so they are applying blind standard? Without being an official in that moment we are going on our camera angle and commentators to suppose why its illegal?

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!