The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 28, 2022, 10:10am
Official Forum Member

Time Out

Had this last night. NFHS rules. 8 sec left in a tie game. White has the ball under Red's basket. Pass in is tipped and stolen by Red, then White, then Red again.... White coach tries to call time out just as his team got the ball on their steal. Before I can acknowledge the time out Red steals for the second time. I blow the whistle but Red has possession. I ruled an inadvertant whistle, granted White's time out and gave the ball to Red for a sideline throw in.
Did I adjudicate this correctly?
Old Fri Jan 28, 2022, 10:38am
Courageous When Prudent

Yes, that is proper.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old Fri Jan 28, 2022, 12:55pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Live Ball ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbruno View Post
8 sec left in a tie game. White has the ball under Red's basket. Pass in is tipped and stolen by Red, then White, then Red again.... White coach tries to call time out just as his team got the ball on their steal. Before I can acknowledge the time out Red steals for the second time. I blow the whistle but Red has possession.
I hate these situations. Could be avoided if the NFHS didn't allow head coaches to request timeouts during a clock running live ball.

Officials need to concentrate on the players in these situations, not on oral and/or visual timeout requests coming from "somebody" near the bench.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Jan 28, 2022 at 01:11pm.
Old Fri Jan 28, 2022, 01:00pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Request And Grant ...

5-8-3-A: Grants and signals a player’s/head coach’s oral or visual request for a time-out, such request being granted only when: The ball is at the disposal or in control of a player of his/her team.

Granted when the ball is in control of player when the request is made, or granted when the ball is in control of player when granted?

Fuzzy rule language?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Jan 28, 2022 at 01:12pm.
Old Fri Jan 28, 2022, 01:38pm
Official Forum Member

Wait ...

If I'm reading and interpreting the OP correctly, why would you have to declare inadvertent whistle? Were you not (correctly) moving to signal a timeout that was appropriately requested by White when White had possession? If you were a little slow on the trigger, does that negate White's valid request?

Or did White not request the timeout until it had already lost the ball again?
Old Fri Jan 28, 2022, 01:41pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Been There, Done That ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amesman View Post
If I'm reading and interpreting the OP correctly, why would you have to declare inadvertent whistle? Were you not (correctly) moving to signal a timeout that was appropriately requested by White when White had possession? If you were a little slow on the trigger, does that negate White's valid request? Or did White not request the timeout until it had already lost the ball again?
Official: "Do you still want the timeout?"

Head coach: (Knowing that they won't end up with the ball) "Never mind."

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Jan 28, 2022 at 01:50pm.
Old Fri Jan 28, 2022, 02:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
5-8-3-A: Grants and signals a player’s/head coach’s oral or visual request for a time-out, such request being granted only when: The ball is at the disposal or in control of a player of his/her team.

Granted when the ball is in control of player when the request is made, or granted when the ball is in control of player when granted?

Fuzzy rule language?
Didn't we just go through this? Why not just link to that thread. I'm nearly 100% certain that nothing is new since then.
Old Fri Jan 28, 2022, 07:07pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Fresh Start ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Didn't we just go through this? Why not just link to that thread. I'm nearly 100% certain that nothing is new since then.
Wanted a fresh start and also wanted to keep it simple.

Old Sat Jan 29, 2022, 11:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amesman View Post
If I'm reading and interpreting the OP correctly, why would you have to declare inadvertent whistle? Were you not (correctly) moving to signal a timeout that was appropriately requested by White when White had possession? If you were a little slow on the trigger, does that negate White's valid request?

Or did White not request the timeout until it had already lost the ball again?

This was my same thought/question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Sat Jan 29, 2022, 11:34am
Esteemed Forum Member

Link ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Didn't we just go through this? Why not just link to that thread.
https://forum.officiating.com/basket...ml#post1046381

Old Sat Jan 29, 2022, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbruno View Post
Had this last night. NFHS rules. 8 sec left in a tie game. White has the ball under Red's basket. Pass in is tipped and stolen by Red, then White, then Red again.... White coach tries to call time out just as his team got the ball on their steal. Before I can acknowledge the time out Red steals for the second time. I blow the whistle but Red has possession. I ruled an inadvertant whistle, granted White's time out and gave the ball to Red for a sideline throw in.
Did I adjudicate this correctly?
White requested the TO when white had the ball, you acknowledged it when white had the ball, you blew the whistle. A little bit slow on the whistle doesn't change the fact that you heard it and decided to grant it when white had the ball. White timeout, white ball.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Sun Jan 30, 2022 at 01:40pm.
Old Sat Jan 29, 2022, 12:58pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Request Versus Grant ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
While requested the TO when white had the ball, you acknowledged it when white had the ball, you blew the whistle. A little bit slow on the whistle doesn't change the fact that you heard it and decided to grant it when white had the ball. White timeout, white ball.
Knowing that the official’s whistle seldom causes the ball to become dead (it is already dead), what if rbruno, for whatever reason (loud crowded gym, poor sightlines, etc.) needed split seconds to mentally (and possibly visually) evaluate the request (possibly turning his head away for a spit second), and then when finally satisfied the request was legal (appropriate head coach) and when he finally (possibly turning his attention back to the players) decided to grant (no whistle needed), white had lost possession of the ball in those split seconds? Or worse, the ball was on it's way out of bounds, or the ball was in midair as a try, or red had possession of the ball?

I won't go as far as to say that Camron Rust is wrong, but I still believe that the rule language is "fuzzy" at best.

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Jan 29, 2022 at 02:22pm.
Old Sat Jan 29, 2022, 06:24pm
Official Forum Member

...”seldom” causes a ball to become dead.

Seldom does not mean “always.” A request for a time out is not the same as a player with the ball stepping on a boundary, or a foul, or an errant pass landing out of bounds. A coach’s request when his player has control of the ball simply means it was a valid request. A prudent official will make sure there is still player control before granting the time out in my opinion.
Old Sat Jan 29, 2022, 06:37pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Opinion ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyu2 View Post
A coach’s request when his player has control of the ball simply means it was a valid request. A prudent official will make sure there is still player control before granting the time out in my opinion.
Well stated, and I personally agree with you, but it's opinion based on "fuzzy" rule language.

I would not bet my house that our opinion is correct. Ten bucks, maybe, but not my house.

Old Sat Jan 29, 2022, 08:39pm
Official Forum Member

Many times officials will rule in favor of the coach, saying the “request” was made when there was player control. Are we simply in too big of a hurry to oblige the coach his time out request? Why? If the coach doesn’t understand by rule we must first be certain of the status of the ball (PC) before granting his time out request, that is his problem not ours. Locate the ball. Then make your decision. PC, yes? Whistle, grant time out. No PC? No whistle. No time out. The principle here is not any different than ruling on the release of a last-second shot. Would any official whistle the ball dead without accurate knowledge of the location of the ball? Locate the ball. Ball touching hand? Whistle, no shot. Ball in flight? No whistle.