The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Time Out (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/105625-time-out.html)

rbruno Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:10am

Time Out

Had this last night. NFHS rules. 8 sec left in a tie game. White has the ball under Red's basket. Pass in is tipped and stolen by Red, then White, then Red again.... White coach tries to call time out just as his team got the ball on their steal. Before I can acknowledge the time out Red steals for the second time. I blow the whistle but Red has possession. I ruled an inadvertant whistle, granted White's time out and gave the ball to Red for a sideline throw in.
Did I adjudicate this correctly?

Raymond Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:38am

Yes, that is proper.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

BillyMac Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:55pm

Live Ball ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by rbruno (Post 1046661)
8 sec left in a tie game. White has the ball under Red's basket. Pass in is tipped and stolen by Red, then White, then Red again.... White coach tries to call time out just as his team got the ball on their steal. Before I can acknowledge the time out Red steals for the second time. I blow the whistle but Red has possession.

I hate these situations. Could be avoided if the NFHS didn't allow head coaches to request timeouts during a clock running live ball.

Officials need to concentrate on the players in these situations, not on oral and/or visual timeout requests coming from "somebody" near the bench.

BillyMac Fri Jan 28, 2022 01:00pm

Request And Grant ...

5-8-3-A: Grants and signals a player’s/head coach’s oral or visual request for a time-out, such request being granted only when: The ball is at the disposal or in control of a player of his/her team.

Granted when the ball is in control of player when the request is made, or granted when the ball is in control of player when granted?

Fuzzy rule language?

Amesman Fri Jan 28, 2022 01:38pm

Wait ...

If I'm reading and interpreting the OP correctly, why would you have to declare inadvertent whistle? Were you not (correctly) moving to signal a timeout that was appropriately requested by White when White had possession? If you were a little slow on the trigger, does that negate White's valid request?

Or did White not request the timeout until it had already lost the ball again?

BillyMac Fri Jan 28, 2022 01:41pm

Been There, Done That ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amesman (Post 1046670)
If I'm reading and interpreting the OP correctly, why would you have to declare inadvertent whistle? Were you not (correctly) moving to signal a timeout that was appropriately requested by White when White had possession? If you were a little slow on the trigger, does that negate White's valid request? Or did White not request the timeout until it had already lost the ball again?

Official: "Do you still want the timeout?"

Head coach: (Knowing that they won't end up with the ball) "Never mind."

bob jenkins Fri Jan 28, 2022 02:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1046668)
5-8-3-A: Grants and signals a player’s/head coach’s oral or visual request for a time-out, such request being granted only when: The ball is at the disposal or in control of a player of his/her team.

Granted when the ball is in control of player when the request is made, or granted when the ball is in control of player when granted?

Fuzzy rule language?

Didn't we just go through this? Why not just link to that thread. I'm nearly 100% certain that nothing is new since then.

BillyMac Fri Jan 28, 2022 07:07pm

Fresh Start ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 1046676)
Didn't we just go through this? Why not just link to that thread. I'm nearly 100% certain that nothing is new since then.

Wanted a fresh start and also wanted to keep it simple.

crosscountry55 Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:04am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amesman (Post 1046670)
If I'm reading and interpreting the OP correctly, why would you have to declare inadvertent whistle? Were you not (correctly) moving to signal a timeout that was appropriately requested by White when White had possession? If you were a little slow on the trigger, does that negate White's valid request?

Or did White not request the timeout until it had already lost the ball again?

This was my same thought/question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BillyMac Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:34am

Link ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 1046676)
Didn't we just go through this? Why not just link to that thread.

https://forum.officiating.com/basket...ml#post1046381

Camron Rust Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rbruno (Post 1046661)
Had this last night. NFHS rules. 8 sec left in a tie game. White has the ball under Red's basket. Pass in is tipped and stolen by Red, then White, then Red again.... White coach tries to call time out just as his team got the ball on their steal. Before I can acknowledge the time out Red steals for the second time. I blow the whistle but Red has possession. I ruled an inadvertant whistle, granted White's time out and gave the ball to Red for a sideline throw in.
Did I adjudicate this correctly?

White requested the TO when white had the ball, you acknowledged it when white had the ball, you blew the whistle. A little bit slow on the whistle doesn't change the fact that you heard it and decided to grant it when white had the ball. White timeout, white ball.

BillyMac Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:58pm

Request Versus Grant ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 1046690)
While requested the TO when white had the ball, you acknowledged it when white had the ball, you blew the whistle. A little bit slow on the whistle doesn't change the fact that you heard it and decided to grant it when white had the ball. White timeout, white ball.

Knowing that the official’s whistle seldom causes the ball to become dead (it is already dead), what if rbruno, for whatever reason (loud crowded gym, poor sightlines, etc.) needed split seconds to mentally (and possibly visually) evaluate the request (possibly turning his head away for a spit second), and then when finally satisfied the request was legal (appropriate head coach) and when he finally (possibly turning his attention back to the players) decided to grant (no whistle needed), white had lost possession of the ball in those split seconds? Or worse, the ball was on it's way out of bounds, or the ball was in midair as a try, or red had possession of the ball?

I won't go as far as to say that Camron Rust is wrong, but I still believe that the rule language is "fuzzy" at best.

billyu2 Sat Jan 29, 2022 06:24pm

...”seldom” causes a ball to become dead.

Seldom does not mean “always.” A request for a time out is not the same as a player with the ball stepping on a boundary, or a foul, or an errant pass landing out of bounds. A coach’s request when his player has control of the ball simply means it was a valid request. A prudent official will make sure there is still player control before granting the time out in my opinion.

BillyMac Sat Jan 29, 2022 06:37pm

Opinion ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by billyu2 (Post 1046699)
A coach’s request when his player has control of the ball simply means it was a valid request. A prudent official will make sure there is still player control before granting the time out in my opinion.

Well stated, and I personally agree with you, but it's opinion based on "fuzzy" rule language.

I would not bet my house that our opinion is correct. Ten bucks, maybe, but not my house.

billyu2 Sat Jan 29, 2022 08:39pm

Many times officials will rule in favor of the coach, saying the “request” was made when there was player control. Are we simply in too big of a hurry to oblige the coach his time out request? Why? If the coach doesn’t understand by rule we must first be certain of the status of the ball (PC) before granting his time out request, that is his problem not ours. Locate the ball. Then make your decision. PC, yes? Whistle, grant time out. No PC? No whistle. No time out. The principle here is not any different than ruling on the release of a last-second shot. Would any official whistle the ball dead without accurate knowledge of the location of the ball? Locate the ball. Ball touching hand? Whistle, no shot. Ball in flight? No whistle.