Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 26, 2022, 06:03pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Socks Or Sleeves ...

Recent issue of IAABO Inside The Lines: Nuances of Uniform Regulations:

Comments?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Jan 26, 2022, 06:06pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Warm-Ups ...

Same issue of IAABO Inside The Lines: Nuances of Uniform Regulations:

NFHS has ruled that teams are permitted to wear apparel in warm-ups that would NOT be permissible during the actual game (i.e. colorful headbands, warm-up t-shirts, etc.). The exception is wearing something dangerous (i.e. headphones, earbuds, cell phones, etc.) that could injure someone. The officials are directed to have these items removed, by communicating with the head coach.

While I may agree with this, is anyone aware of an actual NFHS ruling of such?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Wed Jan 26, 2022, 06:08pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Knots ...

“Knots” and “extensions” created by the use of pre-wrap are considered legal. The pre-wrap must be tied somehow. If the official rules the extensions would cause a safety issue, address the head coach to get them shortened to a reasonable length and still be tied appropriately.

I, and all of my local colleagues, interpret it this way, but is there a NFHS citation for such?

3-5-4-B: Wristbands and headwear shall meet the following guidelines: A headband is any item that goes around the entire head. It must be a circular design without extensions.

Basketball Rules Interpretations - 2015-16 SITUATION 4: An official notices members of Team A are wearing headbands that have extensions. RULING: Illegal. The coach should be informed that the headbands with extensions are illegal and the players will not be allowed to enter the game wearing them. (3-4-5b)

3.5.4 SITUATION B: An official notices members of Team A are wearing headbands that have extensions. RULING: Illegal. The coach should be informed that the headbands with extensions are illegal and the players will not be allowed to enter the game wearing them.

2021-22 Basketball Rules Interpretations SITUATION 2: A player from Team A is wearing a religious head covering (a) secured around the head/face with no added fasteners or abrasive materials; (b) secured with bobby pins; (c) tied together in a knot behind the head. RULING: (a) Legal; (b) and (c) illegal. COMMENT: Players may wear head coverings for religious reasons that fit securely and are free from abrasive materials. There is no longer a need for state association approval. Bobby pins, barrettes and extensions that tie in a knot are not permitted. (3-5-4d, e)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Jan 26, 2022 at 06:22pm.
Old Wed Jan 26, 2022, 07:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post

“Knots” and “extensions” created by the use of pre-wrap are considered legal. The pre-wrap must be tied somehow. If the official rules the extensions would cause a safety issue, address the head coach to get them shortened to a reasonable length and still be tied appropriately.

I, and all of my local colleagues, interpret it this way, but is there a NFHS citation for such?
2019-20 Interps:
SITUATION 1: A1 is waiting at the table to substitute into the game. The official recognizes the substitute is wearing pre-wrap tied in the back as a headband. RULING: The substitute is permitted to enter the game wearing the pre-wrap as a headband provided it meets all the guidelines for a headband. (3-5-4b)

Case 3.5.4B was also new in this year. Play (C) originally had an INCORRECT ruling of "illegal" -- a correction was published making it LEGAL (as it now reads). I also have in my notes the words "pre-wrap allowed, even though it has ties / extensions" -- but I don;t have a reference as to where I obtained that and I don't see the corrections in the annual archives on the site.

Last edited by bob jenkins; Wed Jan 26, 2022 at 07:59pm.
Old Wed Jan 26, 2022, 07:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

NFHS has ruled that teams are permitted to wear apparel in warm-ups that would NOT be permissible during the actual game (i.e. colorful headbands, warm-up t-shirts, etc.). The exception is wearing something dangerous (i.e. headphones, earbuds, cell phones, etc.) that could injure someone. The officials are directed to have these items removed, by communicating with the head coach.

While I may agree with this, is anyone aware of an actual NFHS ruling of such?
3.5.4A: "May not be worn DURING THE GAME"
Old Thu Jan 27, 2022, 12:56am
Administrator

Quote:
Recent issue of IAABO Inside The Lines: Nuances of Uniform Regulations:

Comments?

The arm sleeve is Illegal and the socks are Legal.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Thu Jan 27, 2022, 04:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post

MTD, Sr.
If the black & orange have feet attached to them, then they are socks and are legal. If they are cut off at the ankle, then they are illegal sleeves.
Old Thu Jan 27, 2022, 10:39am
Esteemed Forum Member

Pre-Wrap Allowed As A Headband ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
2019-20 Interps: SITUATION 1: ... pre-wrap allowed, even though it has ties / extensions
Thanks bob jenkins. Nice citations.

Old Thu Jan 27, 2022, 10:58am
Esteemed Forum Member

Illegal Equipment Some Of The Time ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
3.5.4A: "May not be worn DURING THE GAME"
Thanks bob jenkins. Another great citation.

Illegally colored equipment (undershirts, headbands, wrist bands, sleeves, etc.) can be worn during warm-ups but not during the game.

Dangerous illegal equipment (headphones, earbuds, cell phones, jewelry (bracelets, earrings, necklaces), etc.), that could injure someone, may not be worn both during warm-ups nor during the game.

Are hard hair control devices (beads, barrettes, and bobby pins), considered to be dangerous (like jewelry) illegal equipment (that could injure someone), and thus may not be worn both during warm-ups nor during the game? I would think so.

3.5 SITUATION A: The officials are on the court prior to the game observing the team warm-ups. One official notices that a member of Team A is wearing a decorative necklace. RULING: The official should inform the team member to remove the jewelry immediately. Upon compliance, the team member may continue to warm up with his or her teammates and may start the game without penalty.

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Jan 27, 2022 at 11:59am.
Old Thu Jan 27, 2022, 11:06am
Esteemed Forum Member

Headphones, Earbuds, Cell Phones ...

Quote:
Dangerous illegal equipment (headphones, earbuds, cell phones, jewelry (bracelets, earrings, necklaces), etc.), that could injure someone, may not be worn both during warm-ups nor during the game. ... 3.5 SITUATION A: The officials are on the court prior to the game observing the team warm-ups. One official notices that a member of Team A is wearing a decorative necklace. RULING: The official should inform the team member to remove the jewelry immediately. Upon compliance, the team member may continue to warm up with his or her teammates and may start the game without penalty.
The "headphones, earbuds, cell phones" warm-up issue has come up several times on the Forum.

While the IAABO interpretation is nice, and NFHS caseplay 3.5 SITUATION A that addresses jewelry helps a little, it sure would be nice to have a NFHS citation regarding headphones, earbuds, and cell phones during warm-ups (some state associations have already addressed this issue unilaterally).

Old Thu Jan 27, 2022, 11:12am
Esteemed Forum Member

Do Those Socks Go All The Way Down ???

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
If the black & orange have feet attached to them, then they are socks and are legal. If they are cut off at the ankle, then they are illegal sleeves.
If I see this exact situation in my game (see photo) I am just assuming these to be legal (but ugly) socks. Is anybody asking the player regarding Nevadaref's post?

Reminds me of the tights/upper leg sleeve JRutledge and I were discussing a few months ago regarding college rules.

https://forum.officiating.com/basket...ml#post1046292

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Jan 27, 2022 at 11:18am.
Old Thu Jan 27, 2022, 11:42am
Do not give a damn!!

Those look like sleeves on the leg, those fall under the rules of sleeves which makes them illegal (high school and college BTW).

Peace
Old Thu Jan 27, 2022, 11:52am
Esteemed Forum Member

Fashion Consultants ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Those look like sleeves on the leg, those fall under the rules of sleeves which makes them illegal.
Look like ugly socks to me. Might be worth asking? Player might be grateful to lose them. I wonder how may extra travels he gets called against him in season due to the obtrusiveness of the socks?

Back in the mid-1960s, it was considered fashionable to wear tube socks such as this. Not usually in colors like this, usually white with two, or three, school color stripes at the top.

Old Thu Jan 27, 2022, 03:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
And that is an absurd result of the rules? Why would one be legal and the other not when they are effectively the same in practice.
Old Thu Jan 27, 2022, 03:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

MTD, Sr.
Agree. I don't see any gap between the "socks" and the shoes. I'm not having the player take off his/her shoes to see if they go to the toes.