The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 10, 2022, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

So no one can say what an attempt to stand would entail, if not this? that's problematic. It has to be intended to mean something, does it not? what conduct does it prohibit, if not starting the process to stand? and how do you start the process to stand from prone when possessing a ball, that would not include going to the knees?

logic should count for something here
Old Mon Jan 10, 2022, 12:02pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Subjective Judgement Decision ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedewed View Post
So no one can say what an attempt to stand would entail, if not this? that's problematic. It has to be intended to mean something, does it not? what conduct does it prohibit, if not starting the process to stand? and how do you start the process to stand from prone when possessing a ball, that would not include going to the knees? logic should count for something here
In my opinion, Ms. Atkinson's interpretation included a poorly written rationale, and left some questions unanswered, or answered incompletely.

https://forum.officiating.com/basket...ml#post1046345

Until it shows up in the casebook, or as an annual interpretation, or a point of emphasis, don't lose any sleep over it. Attempting to get up is still a subjective judgement decision.

Coach: "What did she do wrong?"

thedewed: "She was attempting to get up."

Coach: "Thank you for the explanation thedewed. You're an outstanding official. What's with the ears?"

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Jan 10, 2022 at 12:15pm.
Old Mon Jan 10, 2022, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
In my opinion, Ms. Atkinson's interpretation included a poorly written rationale, and left some questions unanswered, or answered incompletely.

https://forum.officiating.com/basket...ml#post1046345

Until it shows up in the casebook, or as an annual interpretation, or a point of emphasis, don't lose any sleep over it. Attempting to get up is still a subjective judgement decision.

Coach: "What did she do wrong?"

thedewed: "She was attempting to get up."

Coach: "Thank you for the explanation thedewed. You're an outstanding official. What's with the ears?"

Do you really think subjective opinion should enter into refereeing when it can be avoided? after all, that results in different interpretations of an identical play. that doesn't help guide players or coaches regarding what the players can or can't do.

I know there is always going to be a little variability, but promoting that approach leads to more, IMHO.
Old Mon Jan 10, 2022, 12:48pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Dozens Of Situations ...

Quote:
Do you really think subjective opinion should enter into refereeing when it can be avoided? after all, that results in different interpretations of an identical play. that doesn't help guide players or coaches regarding what the players can or can't do.
If it can be avoided? Sure.

But until then, it is what it is.

Until we get further clarification from the NFHS, this situation is like any one of the dozens of situations that we all encounter in a typical game where we have to make subjective judgments, especially in regard to fouls.

I coached for twenty-five years and I always taught my players, when on the floor, do not get up. Pass, shoot, or start a dribble (I called timeouts, not players), but don't try to get up. I'm pretty sure that most other coaches coach the same.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Jan 11, 2022 at 01:24pm.
Old Mon Jan 10, 2022, 12:50pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
So no one can say what an attempt to stand would entail, if not this? that's problematic. It has to be intended to mean something, does it not? what conduct does it prohibit, if not starting the process to stand? and how do you start the process to stand from prone when possessing a ball, that would not include going to the knees?

logic should count for something here
My logic tells she didn't attempt to stand up because she purposely stopped at the point where she was on her knees, then she started a dribble before successfully standing up. My logic tells me if she were attempting to stand up, she wouldn't have started a new activity after being on her knees, she would have continued doing something that got her on her feet without dribbling the ball.

There is a difference between fact and opinion. The NFHS wording of this rule leads to different interpretations. That is easily remedied by adding a phrase to the rule itself ("acts including rising up on one's knees) or adding a case play that includes the specific act of rising to one's knees or publishing an official interpretation.

Last edited by Raymond; Mon Jan 10, 2022 at 12:53pm.
Old Mon Jan 10, 2022, 12:53pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Remedied ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
The NFHS wording of this rule leads to different interpretations. That is easily remedied by added a phrase to the rule itself ("acts including rising up on one's knees) or a case play that includes the specific act of rising to one's knees.
Agree. Well stated. But will it be remedied? We can always hope.

Old Mon Jan 10, 2022, 01:04pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Get, Stand, Feet ???

Quote:
My logic tells she didn't attempt to stand up ... standing up ... stand up ...
Another complicating factor is that the rulebook and the casebook don't have consistent language.

Is attempting to stand up the same attempting to get up? If not, why the "or"?

How important is the phrase attempting to get to the feet? It's certainly not the same as getting one's knees.

4-44-5-B: A player holding the ball: After gaining control while on the floor and touching with other than hand or foot, may not attempt to get up or stand.

4.44.5 SITUATION B: A1 dives for a loose ball and slides after gaining control. A1 is in a position either on his/her back or stomach. What can A1 do without violating? RULING: A1 may pass, shoot, start a dribble or request a time-out. Once A1 has the ball and is no longer sliding, he/she may not roll over. If flat on his/her back, A1 may sit up without violating. Any attempt to get to the feet is traveling unless A1 is dribbling. It is also traveling if A1 puts the ball on the floor, then rises and is first to touch the ball. (4-44-5b)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Jan 11, 2022 at 11:28am.
Old Mon Jan 10, 2022, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
My logic tells she didn't attempt to stand up because she purposely stopped at the point where she was on her knees, then she started a dribble before successfully standing up. My logic tells me if she were attempting to stand up, she wouldn't have started a new activity after being on her knees, she would have continued doing something that got her on her feet without dribbling the ball.

There is a difference between fact and opinion. The NFHS wording of this rule leads to different interpretations. That is easily remedied by adding a phrase to the rule itself ("acts including rising up on one's knees) or adding a case play that includes the specific act of rising to one's knees or publishing an official interpretation.

The entire travel rule is written to define what is legal and declares anything else as illegal. Since the case play that lists what a player on the ground may do and doesn't mention this as something that is legal, it is not legal. If a player were to rise to the feet, that wouldn't just be an attempt to stand up, it would actually be successfully standing up. If they only wanted a successful or complete attempt to stand to be a violation, it wouldn't say "attempt" in the rule.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Mon Jan 10, 2022 at 01:53pm.
Old Mon Jan 10, 2022, 01:58pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Adages ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
The entire travel rule is written to define what is legal and declares anything else as illegal.
"The Camron Rust Adage" Ⓒ 2021 Camron Rust

Regarding traveling, if it's not legal, it's illegal.

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Jan 10, 2022 at 02:00pm.
Old Mon Jan 10, 2022, 02:56pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
The entire travel rule is written to define what is legal and declares anything else as illegal. Since the case play that lists what a player on the ground may do and doesn't mention this as something that is legal, it is not legal. If a player were to rise to the feet, that wouldn't just be an attempt to stand up, it would actually be successfully standing up. If they only wanted a successful or complete attempt to stand to be a violation, it wouldn't say "attempt" in the rule.
We have a case play that clearly says what they can do on their back. Well, there needs to be clarification as to what you can do on your stomach or on your side. If just getting to your knees from that position is illegal, why not say so? Problem solved. Then those that think this is illegal can move on with life. I am not calling a violation for someone to come to their knees. Just not and the rule does not make it clear that is a violation and never considered that all these years until this topic. So again, wording can be added to make this clear. And it appears again the people that actually write the rules feel the same. But we have wordsmiths out there that need every little "I" dotted and "T" crossed. I am not one of them, but putting in additional language might be helpful, even if you say this is illegal.

Peace
Old Mon Jan 10, 2022, 05:50pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Clarification ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
We have a case play that clearly says what they can do on their back. Well, there needs to be clarification as to what you can do on your stomach or on your side.
Great post. Agree 100%.

But, until the NFHS clarifies, I'm going with "The Camron Rust Adage" Ⓒ 2021 Camron Rust

Quote:
The entire travel rule is written to define what is legal and declares anything else as illegal.
Quote:
This play is traveling. This case plays details what the player may do. The case says they may sit up if they're on their back. It doesn't say they can rise to their knees if they're on their belly. If that were to be legal, it would be listed. Further, the travel rule is one that is based on listing what is legal and what is not specified as legal isn't.

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Jan 11, 2022 at 05:36pm.
Old Mon Jan 10, 2022, 05:52pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Public Domain ...

Quote:
"The Camron Rust Adage" Ⓒ 2021 Camron Rust ... Regarding traveling, if it's not legal, it's illegal.
And, of course, for almost all other interpretations, if it's not illegal, it's legal. No copyright, it's in the public domain.

Old Fri Jan 21, 2022, 10:46pm
Official Forum Member

Who woulda thunk?

BV game tonight!

28 yrs and never saw this play before this post. Never thought I'd ever see it again. Well, you know what they say about that.

As soon as he went to his knees from being prone on his stomache, TWEET!
Not a word! Well, besides, "great call".

If I knew how to post video, I would. Maybe a link if interested.
Old Sat Jan 22, 2022, 08:05am
Esteemed Forum Member

Critiques ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpferee View Post
Not a word! Well, besides, "great call".
At least one coach must have been pleased.

And there's always a possibility that you had your mom and dad, wife and kids, in the bleachers.

Old Sat Jan 22, 2022, 10:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
At least one coach must have been pleased.

And there's always a possibility that you had your mom and dad, wife and kids, in the bleachers.
I think it was the NFHS Rules Editor!