View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 10, 2022, 12:50pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedewed View Post
So no one can say what an attempt to stand would entail, if not this? that's problematic. It has to be intended to mean something, does it not? what conduct does it prohibit, if not starting the process to stand? and how do you start the process to stand from prone when possessing a ball, that would not include going to the knees?

logic should count for something here
My logic tells she didn't attempt to stand up because she purposely stopped at the point where she was on her knees, then she started a dribble before successfully standing up. My logic tells me if she were attempting to stand up, she wouldn't have started a new activity after being on her knees, she would have continued doing something that got her on her feet without dribbling the ball.

There is a difference between fact and opinion. The NFHS wording of this rule leads to different interpretations. That is easily remedied by adding a phrase to the rule itself ("acts including rising up on one's knees) or adding a case play that includes the specific act of rising to one's knees or publishing an official interpretation.

Last edited by Raymond; Mon Jan 10, 2022 at 12:53pm.