The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 19, 2005, 03:46pm
Official Forum Member

Interesting play last night during the twilight game for the first night of USSSA men's slow pitch. Ball hit to the outfield, runner from second motoring around third comes huffing and puffing standing-up into the plate. Fielder lets loose a cannon shot to the plate, but it is way up the line. I can see that there is a strong chance the ball is going to bean the runner in the brain-pan. But at the very last instant the catcher makes a remarkable catch and snags the ball out of the air barley four inches from the runners head. The force of the catch takes the glove right into the runner's noggin. The runner was OUT, but was still grateful for the catch which probably saved him from painful softball oral surgery. After the game one of our rookie umpires who was observing me, a veteran umpire, asked wasn't that obstruction, because the runner slowed to avoid the catcher. I guess it was but I didn't call obstruction at the time, and no body from either side was disappointed with the call.
Old Tue Apr 19, 2005, 05:34pm
Official Forum Member

Bob,
If you are convinced, after you've reviewed & replayed it, that you missed an obstruction call - make note of this in your umpire diary and don't miss it again. And be "grateful" that you got away with missing one.
Old Wed Apr 20, 2005, 07:40am
Official Forum Member

Similar play at second on previous post. (bad sitch turns out great) Yeah, be greatful you got away with one, but keep it to yourself. If you put it in that diary, when you are dead and gone, somebody will read it and have a terrible reason not to forgive you. Softball players and coaches are merciless.