The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 15, 2021, 03:59pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Jinxed ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post
Dammit. That play is going to happen on Friday and I'm going to let it go, and I won't know if I did the right thing or not.
Agree. For me it's no longer about getting the interpretation correct on my list, but it's now about getting the interpretation correct when it happens in my game.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Dec 15, 2021, 04:00pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I'm not saying this, I believe that Raymond is saying this.

In my opinion, a airborne player, seeing that his shot will probably be blocked, and dropping the ball on purpose and picking it up is a travel; while an airborne player fumbling the ball unintentionally can legally pick it up.
My contention is that you do not have to pick up this part at all. If you have not started a dribble, this is illegal the minute you release the ball. If a player did a split foot travel we would not wait until they picked up the ball again.

Peace
Old Wed Dec 15, 2021, 04:01pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Underestimate ...

Quote:
In my opinion, a airborne player, seeing that his shot will probably be blocked, and dropping the ball on purpose and picking it up is a travel; while an airborne player fumbling the ball unintentionally can legally pick it up.
Quote:
This is what I'm calling unless there's clear information against it.
Don't underestimate the rules knowledge and experience of Raymond and Camron Rust. It would be a big mistake to ignore either of them.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Wed Dec 15, 2021, 04:02pm
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Don't underestimate the rules knowledge and experience of Raymond and Camron Rust.
It has nothing to do with that, it goes to the fact I can't point to a case play or rule to PROVE it to a coach.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
Old Wed Dec 15, 2021, 04:09pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Literal Interpretation ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
My contention is that you do not have to pick up this part at all. If you have not started a dribble, this is illegal the minute you release the ball.
By a literal interpretation of the rule, JRutledge is 100% correct. If one deems it to be the start of a dribble, it is a dribble. If one deems it to be the start of a bounce pass, it is a pass.

However, I believe that both JRutledge and I are on the same page in terms of the illegality of dropping the ball intentionally, and the legality of unintentionally fumbling the ball and recovering it.

Old Wed Dec 15, 2021, 04:16pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Pick A Card, Any Card ...

Quote:
It has nothing to do with that, it goes to the fact I can't point to a case play or rule to PROVE it to a coach.
You've got proof either way.

Illegal: He moved his pivot foot before starting a dribble.

Legal: One can always pick up a fumble.

Old Wed Dec 15, 2021, 04:29pm
Stubborn Member

Quote:

So why is the play under question?

Old Wed Dec 15, 2021, 04:44pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Two Different Interpretations ...

Quote:
So why is the play under question?
Because we have two different interpretations.

Quote:
When an airborne shooter fumbles the ball (while still in the air) instead of releasing the ball on a try, unintentionally drops the ball, and then returns to the floor and secures possession of the ball, it’s ...
Quote:

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Dec 15, 2021 at 04:46pm.
Old Wed Dec 15, 2021, 04:45pm
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Because we have two different interpretations.
And from respected officials. That's my issue.

Old Wed Dec 15, 2021, 04:48pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Trust But Verify ...

Quote:
And from respected officials.
When both Raymond and Camron Rust disagree with me, I have to take pause.

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Dec 15, 2021 at 04:51pm.
Old Wed Dec 15, 2021, 05:26pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Split Foot Travel ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
If a player did a split foot travel we would not wait until they picked up the ball again.
Note: Took me some time to figure out what a split foot travel is, as we have never used that term here in my little corner of Connecticut.

Again, JRutledge is 100% correct in his literal interpretation of the rule. By the time the play registers in my mind and I sound my whistle the ball has usually bounced off the floor and back into the player's hand. Could it have been the start of a bounce pass, sure, I guess, but JRutledge is right in his contention that experienced officials have enough good judgment to differentiate between the start of a bounce pass and the start of a dribble. Context is everything. If I'm unsure, I can wait a second and be sure.

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Dec 15, 2021 at 06:31pm.
Old Wed Dec 15, 2021, 05:35pm
Courageous When Prudent

There are gaps and blind spots in the rules where differing interpretations can be justified.

Knowing how to explain one's particular interpretation requires communication skills and knowledge of the rule & case books.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old Wed Dec 15, 2021, 06:31pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Blind Spots ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
There are gaps and blind spots in the rules where differing interpretations can be justified.
Is Raymond saying that this situation may be one of those blind spots?

Quote:
When an airborne shooter fumbles the ball (while still in the air) instead of releasing the ball on a try, unintentionally drops the ball, and then returns to the floor and secures possession of the ball, it’s ...
... with differing evidence used to show that this situation could be legal, or illegal.

If that's what he is saying, then I can agree with him, and this controversial situation will remain off of my list.

Stupid NFHS.

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Dec 16, 2021 at 01:03pm.
Old Thu Dec 16, 2021, 01:02pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Purpose And Intent ...

If this happens in my next game, and I hope that it doesn't, I'm calling it like this:

Quote:
Quote:
In a real game, I'm allowing the fumble to be picked up ...
Quote:
I'm basing this on two old adages, one can always pick up a fumble, and one has to be holding the ball to travel.
While old adages are certainly no substitute for rule or interpretation citations, fumbles are probably covered by purpose and intent.

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Dec 16, 2021 at 01:22pm.
Old Sat Dec 18, 2021, 04:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

The problem is that there is no rule that says anything about a player always being able to pick up a fumble but there is a rule that says a player only has two options once he/she jumps.

This is not unlike the situation where a player throws the ball off his/her own backboard....it is treated as if it were a try for most purposes even though it actually isn't a try since the player wasn't actually trying to throw the ball into the basket.

Consider also the case where a player lying on the floor sits the ball down, gets up while not holding the ball, then picks up the ball. This is considered a travel. Why? It is deemed that the player is circumventing the intended rules.

The fumble on a try is essentially the same thing. Players will make it appear to be a fumble to circumvent the rules once they go airborne and find they have nowhere to go. Once they jump, they have two options by rule: pass or shoot. Anything else is considered a de facto dribble.