The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 15, 2021, 12:50pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I'm the "some", and JRutledge is correct, that's how the rule reads.

But since I can't read minds, in a real game, I'm waiting until the airborne player (who purposely drops the ball) touches the ball after it hits the floor. This is the only way I can know with 100% certainty that it wasn't an intended (legal) bounce pass, no such thing as a "self pass".

When an airborne player tries for goal, sees that the try will be blocked, purposely drops the ball, and touches the ball after it hits the floor, that player has traveled by starting a dribble with the pivot foot off the floor.
You do not have to read minds. We make rulings all the time based on our judgment. If you do not know when someone does something or something looks like it is on purpose then I guess officiating is going to be hard for some folks.

Peace
Old Wed Dec 15, 2021, 12:55pm
Esteemed Forum Member

100% Factual ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I cannot explain why some here like to nitpick everything ...
Because when I write something, put my name on it, and publish it, I want to be 100% certain that what I wrote is 100% factual.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Dec 15, 2021, 12:58pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Judgment ...

Quote:
We make rulings all the time based on our judgment.
Agree. But if there's a teammate nearby, I might wait a second. One can intentionally drop the ball to make a bounce pass.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Wed Dec 15, 2021, 01:17pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Because when I write something, put my name on it, and publish it, I want to be 100% certain that what I wrote is 100% factual.
You should be able to write up something and know that you have to make a decision. The same is like if a player jumps in the air and is fouled. You have to decide if they are shooting or if they were passing. You have to decide if a player is passing or fumbles the ball and starts another dribble. You have to decide if an act was an attempt to throw a punch or if they were doing something normal. There are just examples of judgment.

But if you think this is a misunderstood rule, it really is not. Many people know it is a violation, but that is on your to include it or not.

Peace
Old Wed Dec 15, 2021, 01:46pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Shooting Or Passing ...

Quote:
The same is like if a player jumps in the air and is fouled. You have to decide if they are shooting or if they were passing ...
Agree, and I always state immediately and loudly, "That was a shot" (especially if the ball wasn't released due to a holding foul), or, "That was a pass".

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Dec 15, 2021 at 02:33pm.
Old Wed Dec 15, 2021, 02:06pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Misunderstood ...

Quote:
... if you think this is a misunderstood rule, it really is not ...
The entire paragraph is about shot attempts. Fans often yell, "Travel" in response to an airball that's grabbed by the shooter. When an airborne player keeps control of an attempted shot that is blocked, is unable to release the ball, and returns to the floor with it, fans yell "Up and down". In the situation where the defender simply touches the ball, and the airborne shooter maintains control of the ball and comes down, fans yell, "Jump ball". When a shooter loses control of the ball because of a block, and then dribbles the ball, fans yell, "Double dribble". And some players, coaches, and rookie officials make the same mistakes as fans.

Of course, those are all incorrect interpretations of the rules, thus, misunderstood rules.

And there are some nit-picking misunderstood rule language issues as well. No such thing as an "Up and down" violation, it's really a "Travel", fans yelling for "Jump balls" are really calling for a "Held balls", and a "Double dribble" is really an "Illegal dribble".

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Dec 15, 2021 at 03:25pm.
Old Wed Dec 15, 2021, 02:13pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Old Adages ...

Quote:
When an airborne shooter fumbles the ball (while still in the air) instead of releasing the ball on a try, unintentionally drops the ball, and then returns to the floor and secures possession of the ball, it’s ...
Quote:
In a real game, I'm allowing the fumble to be picked up ...
I'm basing this on two old adages, one can always pick up a fumble, and one has to be holding the ball to travel.

What say you Camron Rust? I'm always interested in your take on such matters.

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Dec 15, 2021 at 03:24pm.
Old Wed Dec 15, 2021, 03:26pm
Courageous When Prudent

The significance of being able to recover a fumbled ball is that it's not considered a dribble, therefore you wouldn't be committing an illegal dribble.

You can however fumble ball and commit a travel if you jump in the air, fumble the ball, and then retrieve the ball.

There is a difference between jumping in the air and purposely dropping the ball and jumping in the air and fumbling the ball.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old Wed Dec 15, 2021, 03:36pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Not A Dribble ...

Thanks for your input Raymond. It's greatly appreciated.

Quote:
When an airborne shooter fumbles the ball (while still in the air) instead of releasing the ball on a try, unintentionally drops the ball, and then returns to the floor and secures possession of the ball, it’s ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
The significance of being able to recover a fumbled ball is that it's not considered a dribble, therefore you wouldn't be committing an illegal dribble. You can however fumble ball and commit a travel if you jump in the air, fumble the ball, and then retrieve the ball.
Makes sense. But doesn't one have to be holding a ball at the same time one illegally moves a pivot foot to travel?

Quote:
There is a difference between jumping in the air and purposely dropping the ball and jumping in the air and fumbling the ball.
While the intent is certainly different, wouldn't you say that both of these are travel violations (based on your post above)?

Still waiting for that ah-ha moment that I almost always get from Raymond, and others, when I'm stymied. Not quite there.

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Dec 15, 2021 at 03:43pm.
Old Wed Dec 15, 2021, 03:40pm
Courageous When Prudent

Do whatever you can explain.

I know anything I do, I can explain to a coach or my supervisors.

I don't worry about all these debates.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old Wed Dec 15, 2021, 03:42pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
While the intent is certainly different, wouldn't you say that both of these are travel violations (based on your post above)?
Why would they be the same when one is literally done on purpose and the other is not? That is like saying any touching or tapping of the ball would be the same as a dribble even though you did not have control of the ball?

Peace
Old Wed Dec 15, 2021, 03:48pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Cancelled ...

Quote:
Do whatever you can explain.
My misunderstood rules list shouldn't have rules listed that I misunderstand.

The situation will remain deleted (for now).

Quote:
Quote:
In a real game, I'm allowing the fumble to be picked up ...
Quote:
I'm basing this on two old adages, one can always pick up a fumble, and one has to be holding the ball to travel.

Old Wed Dec 15, 2021, 03:50pm
Stubborn Member

Dammit. That play is going to happen on Friday and I'm going to let it go, and I won't know if I did the right thing or not.

Oh well, it'll fit in with the other bad calls I make throughout the night.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
Old Wed Dec 15, 2021, 03:55pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Same ...

Quote:
Why would they be the same when one is literally done on purpose and the other is not?
I'm not saying this, I believe that Raymond is saying this.

In my opinion, an airborne player, seeing that his shot will probably be blocked, and dropping the ball on purpose and picking it up is a travel; while an airborne player fumbling the ball unintentionally can legally pick it up.

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Dec 15, 2021 at 05:05pm.
Old Wed Dec 15, 2021, 03:56pm
Stubborn Member

Quote:
I'm not saying this, I believe that Raymond is saying this.

In my opinion, a airborne player, seeing that his shot will probably be blocked, and dropping the ball on purpose and picking it up is a travel; while an airborne player fumbling the ball unintentionally can legally pick it up.
This is what I'm calling unless there's clear information against it.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk