Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 22, 2021, 06:08pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Jinx ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Just called a travel in the Wyoming-Stanford game late in the first half at the Diamond Classic. Called once the player put the ball down to the floor.
Sorry I jinxed you.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Dec 22, 2021 at 06:12pm.
Old Tue Jan 18, 2022, 11:05am
Esteemed Forum Member

Mathew 7:7 ...

... "Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto yo.:”

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I wish the NFHS had a caseplay with a fumble.
2000-2001 NFHS Basketball Interpretations Supplement #1
Situation 1: A1 is an airborne shooter preparing to release the ball on a shot attempt. Instead of releasing the ball on the try, A1 fumbles the ball (while still in the air) and drops it. A1 then returns to the floor and secures possession of the ball. Ruling: Traveling violation. While airborne the ball must be released for a try or pass. (4—43-3a; 94)

Found this while looking for something else today.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Tue Jan 18, 2022, 11:12am
Esteemed Forum Member

Somewhat Similar Situations ...

I have now separated these somewhat similar situations into three different paragraphs.

The shooter can retrieve one’s own airball if the official considers it to be a shot attempt, or if the ball hits the backboard. It is not a violation for that player to start another dribble at that point.

If a defender puts a hand(s) on a ball controlled by airborne shooter (or passer), such that the airborne player is unable to release the ball, that player has not traveled, it is a held ball. If, in another similar situation, the airborne player loses control of the ball because of the touch, then this is simply a blocked shot. It is not a violation for that player to start a dribble at that point. If, in a similar situation, the defender simply touches the ball, and the airborne player chooses not to release the ball, and returns to the floor holding the ball, it’s a traveling violation.

When an airborne player tries for goal (or passes), sees that the try (or pass) will be blocked, purposely drops the ball, and touches the ball after it hits the floor, that player has traveled by starting a dribble with the pivot foot off the floor. If an airborne shooter is preparing to release the ball on a shot attempt, and instead of releasing the ball on the try fumbles the ball (while still in the air), drops the ball, and then returns to the floor and secures possession of the ball, it’s a traveling violation.

Old Tue Jan 18, 2022, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
... "Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto yo.:”

2000-2001 NFHS Basketball Interpretations Supplement #1
Situation 1: A1 is an airborne shooter preparing to release the ball on a shot attempt. Instead of releasing the ball on the try, A1 fumbles the ball (while still in the air) and drops it. A1 then returns to the floor and secures possession of the ball. Ruling: Traveling violation. While airborne the ball must be released for a try or pass. (4—43-3a; 94)

Found this while looking for something else today.
Yes, the NFHS has long ago spoken on this matter. Some will still insist otherwise, however.
Old Tue Jan 18, 2022, 12:01pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Born Again ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Yes, the NFHS has long ago spoken on this matter. Some will still insist otherwise, however.
I was one of those who insisted otherwise, but I've been "born again" after finding this twenty-one year old interpretation.