The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Nov 14, 2021, 12:42pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Closely Guarded ...

One of my mechanics class trainees asked me several questions about five second closely guarded violations yesterday, including one question that stumped me, which I further questioned after today's publication of an IAABO Make The Call video play commentary.

We talked about initial legal guarding position (defender's both feet on the playing court and the front of the defender's torso facing the ball handler) and maintaining legal guarding position (defender has inbound status, defender not required to continue facing the opponent, defender may move laterally or obliquely to maintain position).

We discussed six feet being measured from the forward foot of the defender to the forward foot of the ball handler (pointing out six foot radii on the court markings) and that the closely guarded count must be terminated when the offensive player gets head and shoulders past the defensive player.

We also talked about switching arms to change from closely guarded dribbling to closely guarded holding, and vice versa (possible three continued counts: holding, dribbling, holding); and that the visible closely guarded count continues when defenders "switch" as long as the ball handler is closely guarded throughout.

So I figured that we had it all covered until he asked me a final question.

Dribbling ball handler A1 is closely guarded by defender B1. Trail official begins a visible five second closely guarded count. Defender B1 lunges toward the ball in an attempt to steal the ball, misses the steal, and passes slightly behind dribbling ball handler A1, but is still within six feet of dribbling ball handler A1. Dribbling ball handler A1 does not move. Because dribbling ball handler A1's head and shoulders are now "past" (on the other side of) defender B1, should the visible five second closely guarded count be terminated?

I initially told him that the official should terminate the visible five second closely guarded count based on the rule language head and shoulders past the defensive player, but that I would double check with some research.

Today, before I had a chance to research the situation, IAABO published a Make The Call video play commentary, not on this specific situation but on a closely guarding defenders "switching" situation. The IAABO play commentary contained the language (IAABO language not NFHS language) defenders do not need to be in a "defensive stance," actively guarding the ball handler for the official to begin the count. The only requirement is to be within 6 feet of the ball handler.

So, back to my situation of the defender lunging toward the ball in an attempt to steal the ball, missing the steal, and passing slightly behind the ball handler, but still within six feet of ball handler, what say you?

Terminate the count, or continue the count?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Nov 14, 2021 at 02:39pm.
Old Sun Nov 14, 2021, 04:37pm
Official Forum Member

Great question. Never considered that before. The rule implies an action (getting head and shoulders past the defender) by the ball handler in order to have a count terminated. If there is no such action by the ball handler and he/she remains closely guarded, I think the count continues and a violation could result.

Have fun explaining that one to Coach A!

Purely my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Sun Nov 14, 2021, 06:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
that the closely guarded count must be terminated when the offensive player gets head and shoulders past the defensive player.
Is that true? I don't have my books handy -- I remember something along the lines of "the defense bears the greater responsibility for contact when the offensive player gets head and shoulders past the defender", but I don't recall the specific wording on terminating the count.
Old Sun Nov 14, 2021, 07:15pm
Courageous When Prudent

I don't know what the rule says word for word in the rule book, but I know what the spirit and intent of the rule is.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old Sun Nov 14, 2021, 07:30pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Relativity ...

Does it matter if the defender passes the head and shoulders of the ball handler, or if the head and shoulders of the ball handler passes the he defender, when, in both cases, the ball handler ends up closer to the basket than the defender?

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Sun Nov 14, 2021, 11:14pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Is that true? I don't have my books handy -- I remember something along the lines of "the defense bears the greater responsibility for contact when the offensive player gets head and shoulders past the defender", but I don't recall the specific wording on terminating the count.
Rule 4-10 states the count is terminated when head and shoulder are beyond the defender.

Old Mon Nov 15, 2021, 03:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
Rule 4-10 states the count is terminated when head and shoulder are beyond the defender.

Yes...a defender isn't guarding if they are not in the path of an opponent (by the definition of guarding). Thus, a player no longer in the path is not guarding and, by extension, no longer closely guarding.
Old Mon Nov 15, 2021, 08:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Yes...a defender isn't guarding if they are not in the path of an opponent (by the definition of guarding). Thus, a player no longer in the path is not guarding and, by extension, no longer closely guarding.
Thanks -- found it this morning. Not quite sure what I was thinkiing
Old Mon Nov 15, 2021, 08:52am
Esteemed Forum Member

Citation ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Great point.

4-23: Guarding is the act of legally placing the body in the path of an offensive opponent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
... in both cases, the ball handler ends up closer to the basket than the defender ...
Terminate the count.

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Nov 15, 2021 at 08:58am.
Old Mon Nov 15, 2021, 11:08am
Esteemed Forum Member

The Terminator (1984) ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Is that true ... I don't recall the specific wording on terminating the count.
4-10: ... A closely guarded count must be terminated when the offensive player in control of the ball gets his/her head and shoulders past the defensive player.