The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Aug 31, 2005, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

The CBOA (California Basketball Officials Association) has a revision for NFHS Rule 9-10, closely guarded.

Girl’s basketball in the state of California has a closely guarded 5 second violation applied anywhere on the court for hold-the-ball without dibbling or control-the-ball enclosed by screening teammates.

My understanding, the NFHS Rule 9-10 applies to both girls and boys basketball.

Are there any other state basketball associations with revisions to the NFHS closely guarded Rule 9-10?

Old Wed Aug 31, 2005, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

We have adaptations for girls in Iowa, but none to do with a closely guarded count. Am I reading the revision correctly in that you can call a five second count in the backcourt?
Old Wed Aug 31, 2005, 12:23pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Junker
We have adaptations for girls in Iowa, but none to do with a closely guarded count.
The same is true in MA.

Quote:
Am I reading the revision correctly in that you can call a five second count in the backcourt?
I believe you are. That's the NCAAW rule, if I'm not mistaken. Although in NCAAW, closely guarded is 3-feet, isn't it?
Old Wed Aug 31, 2005, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

In Washington State HS basketball, there can be a 5-second closely guarded count ANYWHERE on the court for girls basketball. There is NO closely guarded count for a dribbling player in girls basketball. We have a 30-second shot clock in girls basketball.

Z
Old Wed Aug 31, 2005, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
I believe you are. That's the NCAAW rule, if I'm not mistaken. Although in NCAAW, closely guarded is 3-feet, isn't it?
Right on both counts, Chuck.

Many (msot?) states that adopt a shot-clock for girls basketball ALSO adopt the NCAAW closely-guarded rules.

Old Wed Aug 31, 2005, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Junker
We have adaptations for girls in Iowa, but none to do with a closely guarded count.
The same is true in MA.

Quote:
Am I reading the revision correctly in that you can call a five second count in the backcourt?
Yes, that's right. NCAAW has a 5-sec. held ball closely-guarded count, anywhere on the court. (There is no 10 second count, by the way, in case you're trying to picture a different count with each hand in the backcourt...) They also changed the closely-guarded distance from 6 feet to 3 feet for the '03-'04 season.

(Used with permission.)
Old Wed Aug 31, 2005, 02:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Many (msot?) states that adopt a shot-clock for girls basketball ALSO adopt the NCAAW closely-guarded rules.
See what happens when you type too fast...I hear Mr. Spelling Guy coming...

(Used with permission.)
Old Wed Aug 31, 2005, 06:52pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Red face

Quote:
Originally posted by johnny1784

Girl’s basketball in the state of California has a closely guarded 5 second violation applied anywhere on the court for hold-the-ball without dibbling
What if they're dibbling? BTW - what's dibbling anyway?
Old Thu Sep 01, 2005, 04:15am
Official Forum Member

In case there is any confusion, let me make it clear that CA uses a shot clock for both boys and girls basketball. Therefore, they have some rules modifications which go along with that.

And yes, they are always stunned when they cross the state line and play over here that there is no shot clock. They think that everyone uses the shot clock just because they use it and all the game they see on TV use it. Hmmm, does someone think that they are the center of the universe?
Old Thu Sep 01, 2005, 09:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
In case there is any confusion, let me make it clear that CA uses a shot clock for both boys and girls basketball. Therefore, they have some rules modifications which go along with that.

And yes, they are always stunned when they cross the state line and play over here that there is no shot clock. They think that everyone uses the shot clock just because they use it and all the game they see on TV use it. Hmmm, does someone think that they are the center of the universe?
Oh, we sure are... just walk along the San Andreas Fault line... feels like home.
Old Thu Sep 01, 2005, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by johnny1784
Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref

Oh, we sure are... just walk along the San Andreas Fault line... feels like home.
The center of the universe is CRACKED?

OMYGOD! The sky is falling! The sky is falling!

What was that book? Henny Penny something-or-other?
Old Fri Sep 02, 2005, 12:23pm
Official Forum Member

On a related topic, rumor is that Iowa girls are finally dumping the coin toss and throwing the jump ball like the rest of the world. It's the little things in life I get excited about. I hated the coin toss.