Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Aug 17, 2021, 12:03pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Nonagenarian ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
I still officiate in the league!
Didn't realize that the officials also had to be over ninety.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Aug 18, 2021 at 11:03am.
Old Sat Aug 21, 2021, 09:04am
Esteemed Forum Member

IAABO Survey Says …

Disclaimer: For IAABO eyes only. Below is not a NFHS interpretation, it's only an IAABO International interpretation which obviously doesn't mean a hill of beans to most members of this Forum.

https://storage.googleapis.com/refqu...78B08yag%3D%3D

IAABO Play Commentary Correct Answer: This is not a backcourt violation.

This play depicts one of the three exceptions to the backcourt rule. During a jump ball, throw-in or while on defense, a player may legally jump from his/her frontcourt, secure control of the ball with both feet off the floor and return to the floor with one or both feet in the backcourt. The player may make a normal landing and it makes no difference whether the first foot down is in the frontcourt or backcourt. (9-9-3)

It is impressive that 92% of respondents had a correct response on this play. For the 8% that answered incorrectly, this is an opportunity to expand your rules knowledge and learn from this play to apply the rules accurately if/when this play situation occurs in a game you are officiating.

Here is the breakdown of the IAABO members that commented on the video: This is not a backcourt violation 91% (including me). This is a backcourt violation 9%.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Thu Sep 02, 2021, 09:43pm
Official Forum Member

Whenever there's a jump ball, just before the ref tosses they always say to the players : "now dont move".
Old Fri Sep 03, 2021, 04:37am
Esteemed Forum Member

Don't Say ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas Ref View Post
Whenever there's a jump ball, just before the ref tosses they always say to the players : "now dont move".
"Hold your spots", said by the referee, or tosser, before the jump ball, is only rule based for some of the players. One exception to this rule, and there are others, is that players on the jump ball circle can move off the jump ball circle at any time: before the toss, during the toss, or after the toss.

"You can't stand behind him”, stated by the referee, or the umpire, before a jump ball, to a player who is directly behind an opponent, both whom are ten feet off the jump ball circle, is not rule based. The rule that players can’t stand behind, within three feet, of an opponent, only applies to players on, and within three feet of, the jump ball circle. Players farther back than that can stand wherever they want, as long as they get to that spot first.

Good officials should not be saying these general statements. Don't say them, or be more specific (just don't make it a rules clinic).

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Sep 03, 2021 at 02:24pm.
Old Fri Sep 03, 2021, 06:26am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas Ref View Post
The only comment I make is to be jumpers themselves, which is, "be ready, I don't bounce the ball, I go straight up".

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old Fri Sep 03, 2021, 01:26pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Don't Ask, Don't Tell ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
The only comment I make is to be jumpers themselves, which is, "be ready, I don't bounce the ball, I go straight up".
For me (after pointing proper directions): "Everybody ready? Have fun".

"Everybody" covers everybody, but especially the nonsensical "speaking captains" who, by rule, we have to inform. I just assume that they're both starting (or can hear me from the bench), plus I don't really know who they are anyway because, when I'm the referee, I don't ask who they are in my coaches/captains/officials pregame conference.

In 2018-19, IAABO, in their mechanics manual, did away with the captain notification, but got their hand slapped by the NFHS and put it back in (I believe the following year). Obviously, I don't follow the IAABO manual 100%, I'm a real rebel.

My coaches/captains/officials pregame conference: "Coaches, please make sure that your players are legally equipped and that they know how to wear their uniforms properly. Coaches and captains, please make sure that everyone exhibits good sportsmanship. Any questions? Have fun."

That's it. Nothing more. Nothing less. Minimum required by rule.

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Sep 03, 2021 at 04:51pm.
Old Fri Sep 03, 2021, 05:13pm
Courageous When Prudent

My whistle is my notification to the captains. I don't point directions. Is that in the manual?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old Fri Sep 03, 2021, 06:42pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Whistle ...

Quote:
My whistle is my notification to the captains.
That would certainly cover the purpose and intent of the rule.

Old Sat Sep 04, 2021, 08:45am
Esteemed Forum Member

Directional Signal ...

Quote:
I don't point directions. Is that in the manual?
I only have access to the IAABO mechanics manual. Current manual states:

Jump Ball: 1) The tossing official b) Verbally and by directional signal indicates the teams' basket.

Disclaimer: For IAABO eyes only. Above may not be a NFHS mechanic, it may only be an IAABO mechanic which obviously doesn't mean a hill of beans to most members of this Forum.

My newest NFHS mechanics manual is from 2003-04 and doesn't mention article B.

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Sep 04, 2021 at 10:34am.
Old Sat Sep 04, 2021, 11:52am
Administrator

Mills Lane: "Let's get it on!"

Before stepping into the Center Circle:

1) I pointed in each direction not so much as to remind the Teams which way they are going but more as a reminder to my partner(s) AND me as to which way the Teams are going.

2) A Team consists of Five Players, one of whom is the Captain. The Captain, from a historial standpoint is the leader of the Team both on and off the Court and is more important than the Coach, therefore I always (with apologies to the late J. Dallas Shirely) checked with the Captains.

After entering the Center Circle and just before tossing the Ball, I quote my favorite Boxing Referee, Mills Lane, to the Jumpers: "Let's get it on!"

NOTE: As an Evaluator I will not ding an Official for pointing in each direction but I would advise him to not do it and I would never (again, with apologies to the late J. Dallas Shirely) even acknowledge that he addressed the Captains before entering the Center Circle.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sat Sep 04, 2021, 12:16pm
Esteemed Forum Member

O Captain! My Captain! (Walt Whitman, 1865) ...

Quote:
A Team consists of Five Players, one of whom is the Captain ...
Back in ancient times, when Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. was officiating with his good friend James Naismith, teams only had one captain.

Now many teams will award the captaincy to almost all seniors (and occasionally some juniors). I had a game a few years ago with one team having quad-captains, and the other team having quint-captains. I was the umpire. The referee asked who was the "speaking" captain of each team, asked for their numbers (all were wearing warm-ups), and finally followed up with, "Are you starting?" (thank God they both answered yes, hate to think what would have happened next if somebody had answered no).

He didn't have enough time left to tell everyone that it was the black line all the way around.

Player: "Mr. Referee. Can we please have a defensive match-up because three substitutes from the other team entered?"
Referee: "No. You're not the speaking captain. Please have the speaking captain ask me".

Regarding the modern rules of basketball, captains are forgettable anachronistic formalities, as outdated as laced basketballs, peach baskets, and chicken wire cages around the perimeter of the court.

Maybe as outdated as Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.?

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Sep 04, 2021 at 01:05pm.
Old Tue Sep 07, 2021, 10:50pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Back in ancient times, when Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. was officiating with his good friend James Naismith, teams only had one captain.

Now many teams will award the captaincy to almost all seniors (and occasionally some juniors). I had a game a few years ago with one team having quad-captains, and the other team having quint-captains. I was the umpire. The referee asked who was the "speaking" captain of each team, asked for their numbers (all were wearing warm-ups), and finally followed up with, "Are you starting?" (thank God they both answered yes, hate to think what would have happened next if somebody had answered no).

He didn't have enough time left to tell everyone that it was the black line all the way around.

Player: "Mr. Referee. Can we please have a defensive match-up because three substitutes from the other team entered?"
Referee: "No. You're not the speaking captain. Please have the speaking captain ask me".

Regarding the modern rules of basketball, captains are forgettable anachronistic formalities, as outdated as laced basketballs, peach baskets, and chicken wire cages around the perimeter of the court.

Maybe as outdated as Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.?

If a Team has multiple Captains I will ask which one is the "speaking captain".

1) I will speak with any Player as long as the Player does it in a sportsmanlike manner.

2) Most of the time the "speaking captain" is the best player on the team or is the de facto leader of the team. When I have a problem player or coach I want to deal with the de facto leader of the team because most of the time they are your best ally in taking care of problem players and coaches.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed Sep 08, 2021, 07:52am
Esteemed Forum Member

Signing Captain ???

Quote:
If a Team has multiple Captains I will ask which one is the "speaking captain".
Could be a problem here in Connecticut when one is the assigned as the referee at the American School For The Deaf.

Go Tigers.

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Sep 08, 2021 at 08:25am.