Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Aug 10, 2021, 03:59pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Fun With The Division Line ...

IAABO Make The Call Video

https://storage.googleapis.com/refqu...72yVu05A%3D%3D

Was this correctly ruled a backcourt violation? Did the dribbler ever establish frontcourt status?

Two choices: This is a backcourt violation. This is a legal play.

My comment: This is a legal play. The dribbler never established frontcourt status. During a dribble from backcourt to frontcourt, the ball is in the frontcourt when the ball and both feet of the dribbler touch the court entirely in the frontcourt.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Aug 10, 2021, 05:39pm
Courageous When Prudent

My major concern is that the official blew her whistle before the offensive player touched the ball again after the ball touched the back court.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old Wed Aug 11, 2021, 10:29am
Do not give a damn!!

It looks like a violation. Looks like the ball got across and knocked backwards.

It does seem like the official was a little quick on the whistle. Did not let the play completely process.

Peace
Old Wed Aug 11, 2021, 10:58am
Esteemed Forum Member

Ball Hits The Division Line ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Looks like the ball got across and knocked backwards.
Closest I see the dribbled ball to getting across the division line is the ball hitting the division line, which is part of the backcourt, and remember, this is not a plane situation, but a location situation.

Granted, as an IAABO member I can view this at 25% speed, which I had to use to make my call here.

Could there have been an interrupted dribble here, and would that affect the adjudication?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Wed Aug 11, 2021, 11:06am
Do not give a damn!!

Looks to me there is one dribble in the frontcourt and then goes to the backcourt. There is a player kind of in front of the ball handler so where that ball landed is suspect. The official has a much cleaner, open look than we do. It looks like a BC violation to me.

And yes I slowed it down. I have other ways to watch this than just on your link.

Peace
Old Wed Aug 11, 2021, 11:12am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Looks to me there is one dribble in the frontcourt and then goes to the backcourt. There is a player kind of in front of the ball handler so where that ball landed is suspect. The official has a much cleaner, open look than we do. It looks like a BC violation to me.

And yes I slowed it down. I have other ways to watch this than just on your link.

Peace
I magnified the video and still couldn't see it clearly from our view. It's possible the ball hit A1's backside after he was completely in the front court, then went into the back court.
Old Wed Aug 11, 2021, 11:14am
Esteemed Forum Member

Suspect ...

Quote:
Looks to me there is one dribble in the frontcourt and then goes to the backcourt. There is a player kind of in front of the ball handler so where that ball landed is suspect.
Agree that the ball landing spot could be considered suspect. I thought I got a pretty good look, but maybe not.

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Aug 11, 2021 at 12:50pm.
Old Wed Aug 11, 2021, 11:16am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
I magnified the video and still couldn't see it clearly from our view. It's possible the ball hit A1's backside after he was completely in the front court, then went into the back court.
It looks like to me there is one last bounce in the frontcourt and then the ball goes and hits the line. But again, not clear if that hit the floor or the player's leg.

This is a lesson, see the entire play and know what you called or did not have to call. Don't guess.

Peace
Old Wed Aug 11, 2021, 11:16am
Esteemed Forum Member

Interrupted Dribble ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Could there have been an interrupted dribble here, and would that affect the adjudication?
Quote:
It's possible the ball hit A1's backside after he was completely in the front court, then went into the back court.
For the purpose of this rule, is an interrupted dribble still a dribble?

During a dribble from backcourt to frontcourt, the ball is in the frontcourt when the ball and both feet of the dribbler touch the court entirely in the frontcourt.

An interrupted dribble occurs when the ball is loose after deflecting off the dribbler or after it momentarily gets away from the dribbler. There is no player control during an interrupted dribble.

Old Wed Aug 11, 2021, 11:21am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
For the purpose of this rule, is an interrupted dribble still a dribble?

During a dribble from backcourt to frontcourt, the ball is in the frontcourt when the ball and both feet of the dribbler touch the court entirely in the frontcourt.

An interrupted dribble occurs when the ball is loose after deflecting off the dribbler or after it momentarily gets away from the dribbler. There is no player control during an interrupted dribble.
Good question.

Time for you and Mark to dig deep into some research.
Old Wed Aug 11, 2021, 11:26am
Do not give a damn!!

It does not matter. If the ball reached FC status, that is the first issue. If the ball was last touched by the team in control and goes into the BC, that is the second thing that matters. I could suggest that the ball touched the FC and was last touched by the dribbler and then touched first by the dribbler in the FC. It would not matter if the ball during the interrupted dribble had gained FC status at some point.

Peace
Old Wed Aug 11, 2021, 11:43am
Esteemed Forum Member

Status ...

Quote:
Quote:
If the ball reached FC status, that is the first issue.
Agree. Yes it is, and it's determined by the above rule.

Dribbler can get both the left foot and the right foot across the division line (in the frontcourt) and keep dribbling, touching the ball, and bouncing the ball in the backcourt, for ten seconds with no backcourt violation.

Would the ball touching the dribbler on his backside (if it actually happened) be considered part of this dribble, and thus legal; or does the interrupted dribble (if it actually is an interrupted dribble) "cancel" the "three points" rule, giving the interrupted dribbler "full" frontcourt status, and thus, a backcourt violation?

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Aug 11, 2021 at 12:51pm.
Old Wed Aug 11, 2021, 02:28pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Again ...

JRutledge and Raymond brought up some good points in their posts, so I looked at the video again.

I am certain the the ball never touched the frontcourt, and thus never achieved frontcourt status as it was dribbled. The ball only achieved frontcourt status when dribbler Red #40 picked up his dribble with both hands after the official sounded her whistle for the backcourt violation.

Of course, the official in the video didn't have the luxury of second slow motion look.

The only question that I have is how did the ball end up going "backward", did Red #40 dribble it "backward", or did the ball deflect off of Red #40's body and deflect "backward"?

Dribble "backward" is easy, legal, no backcourt violation.

Quote:
It's possible the ball hit A1's backside after he was completely in the front court, then went into the back court.
Quote:
..knocked backwards.
If the ball did deflect off of Red #40's body and deflect "backward" as an interrupted dribble, does that move "cancel" the "three points" rule, giving the interrupted dribbler "full" frontcourt status (like if the ball had been passed to him and he touched but muffed catching the pass while he was standing in the frontcourt), and thus, a backcourt violation after the ball bounced in the backcourt and Red #40 then touched the ball with his next dribble?

Quote:
Nice video. We don't get great look, but it's still a nice video for rule discussion.

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Aug 11, 2021 at 02:40pm.
Old Wed Aug 11, 2021, 03:35pm
Official Forum Member

An interrupted dribble is still a dribble, but it is unclear which dribbling rules apply during this time.
For example, may the dribbler step on the sideline during an interrupted dribble without violating? Most would answer, yes.
Can the dribbler touch the ball with both hands simultaneously in an attempt to regain control and then continue to dribble? Most would answer, no.
Does the three points rule still apply? I don’t know.
Old Wed Aug 11, 2021, 04:34pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Most ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
... may the dribbler step on the sideline during an interrupted dribble without violating? Most would answer, yes.
All should answer yes.

4-15-6-D: During an interrupted dribble: Out-of-bounds violation does not apply on the player involved in the interrupted dribble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Can the dribbler touch the ball with both hands simultaneously in an attempt to regain control and then continue to dribble? Most would answer, no.
All should answer no.

4.15.4 SITUATION D: While dribbling: (c) the ball hits A1’s foot and bounces away but A1 is able to overtake and pick it up; RULING: In (c), the dribble ended when A1 caught the ball; Even though the dribble has ended in (c), A1 may recover the ball but may not dribble again. (9-5)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Aug 11, 2021 at 04:51pm.